Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:02 AM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
I got my G31 in the mail. Powered it up on the USB and all seems fine.

I'm going to put this on a 450 with analog cyclic servos. I'm just flying sport. I use a separate ubec for power already.

I was originally thinking the separate SAT approach makes the most sense. Let wiring etc., but now I'm not so sure and a bit confused.

If I stick with the RX approach, then the Ubec and ESC plug into the RX, and the short wires connect the RX to the G31. The servo wires then plug into the G31, all per the manual diagrams.

If I go the SAT approach, where (or how) do I connect the the Ubec and ESC plugs to the G31? Do I need to create a special "harness" to route the signals, ground and positive power to the various pins on the G31?

Is setting the AileGain and ElevGain via TX channels 7 and 8 vs. the "pots" worth the effort to use the SAT approach? How many of you experienced G31 users are using your TX to control these values?

BTW: Thanks to Scott at RobirdUSA. Product shipped fast and was well packed. Great buying from a USA vendor.

bc
You can plug the Ubec into the end of the sat adapter if you are not using Sbus. The + and - just pass through the sat adapter so there's nothing to fry. But you will still need a y cable to be able to hook up power to the tail servo power bus via the srx2 port. Just make sure you have it plugged into the srx1 port and not the rs/gain port. Maybe these diagrams will make up for my poor explanation. Either way would work fine for a 450.

The esc plugs into the motor/ele port.

I find that the pots are easier or just as easy to use, as you have to land to change values in your tx anyway. Just as easy to land and adjust pots. Once set, you shouldn't have to adjust them again anyway.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Last edited by flint723; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:18 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Wiring visual guide

I decided I needed to make a diagram on how to wire my 450 and it's current electronics to the G31 to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Does this graphic appear to make sense. Am I making some mistake or making it more complex than it needs to be?

Are my notes accurate below the picture?
Blade Crasher is online now Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:53 AM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
I decided I needed to make a diagram on how to wire my 450 and it's current electronics to the G31 to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Does this graphic appear to make sense. Am I making some mistake or making it more complex than it needs to be?

Are my notes accurate below the picture?
Correct.
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:40 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,081 Posts
I haven't tried putting the power in via the SRX cable, but I don't see why it shouldn't work, a couple of comments on your arrangement ... you will be driving the cyclic servos at 5V which will slow them down slightly and give you less torque - probably not an issue. However in your comment about connecting the Y-cable into the SRX2 port - you would still need to plug it into the SRX1 port as well as the cyclic servos and tail servos have a separate power bus (hence the need for the jumper between SRX1 and SRX2) - a slightly neater way would be to feed 6V to the cyclis servos and build a lead that goes to the SRX2 port with a diode in it to drop the voltage from 6V to 4.8V for the 9257 - Align sell such a cable.

Cheers,
Mike.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I haven't tried putting the power in via the SRX cable, but I don't see why it shouldn't work, a couple of comments on your arrangement ... you will be driving the cyclic servos at 5V which will slow them down slightly and give you less torque - probably not an issue. However in your comment about connecting the Y-cable into the SRX2 port - you would still need to plug it into the SRX1 port as well as the cyclic servos and tail servos have a separate power bus (hence the need for the jumper between SRX1 and SRX2) - a slightly neater way would be to feed 6V to the cyclis servos and build a lead that goes to the SRX2 port with a diode in it to drop the voltage from 6V to 4.8V for the 9257 - Align sell such a cable.

Cheers,
Mike.
correct me if i'm wrong but i though diodes only do appox .7vdc drop which would make that 5.3 not much of a difference but a difference nonetheless.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:17 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
I'm not planning on running 6v yet. I connected my ubec to the servos via a watt meter today, and this confirmed that at rest the ubec is putting out 5.2v. As I hold the servo arms in my fingers and move the sticks, the load shows about 0.5 amps and the volts drop to 5.08-5.12 range.

I flew the 450 in it's FB setup and all is setup fine. The tail servo is not warm and I had no issues that were apparent. Tested both rate and hold. Rate causes no yaw, as I have the 8 deg or so of counter-rotation tail pitch setup mechanically.

Seems like I'm ready to swap heads, remove the Quark and install the G31.

Maybe an LED type resistor setup though should be wired for dropping the voltage to the tail servo or using a schottky diode so that I can drop the volts by about 0.2-0.3 only (5.1v down to 4.8).

Thoughts?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:36 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but i though diodes only do appox .7vdc drop which would make that 5.3 not much of a difference but a difference nonetheless.
To be honest electronics is not my forte, however the Align product spec says 5.1V ....

This is the Align 5.1v step down regulator. For using Futaba servo models 9241, 9251, 9253, 9254, 9255, 9256 and other digital servos which are not capable of handling 6V directly. Connect this step-down voltage regulator inline with the rudder servo, or connect it between BEC (ex. RCE-B6X) and the receiver to reduce the voltage to all servos.

Max continuous current: 5A
Length:104mm
Weight:4.2g
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:14 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Setup help

Well, I'm confused again. No surprise to me really.

This is on a 450 Pro with the RJX head.

I can't get my Elev servo arm level (90 deg to body) without 30 points of TX sub trim. Do I do this here or in the Robird setup someplace?

Also, do I need to mechanically get the swash level like I would with a FB setup?
Last edited by Blade Crasher; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:29 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,025 Posts
It is all done in the controller if I remember correctly . Find the best arms that are as close to 90 at mid stick as you can . Then in the controller subtrim on the computer ( ??or is it the radio??) to get them as 90 as you can. Then add the swash at the height that would give you an even up and down movement .Then add the swash leveler and adjust the links at mid stick to get the leveler and swash level . It should be all step by step in the computer programming .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Well, I'm confused again. No surprise to me really.

This is on a 450 Pro with the RJX head.

I can't get my Elev servo arm level (90 deg to body) without 30 points of TX sub trim. Do I do this here or in the Robird setup someplace?

Also, do I need to mechanically get the swash level like I would with a FB setup?
almost all adjustments will be done in the Robird setup and yes, you should have the swash mechanically level.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Hi,

connected two spektrum (orange R100) sats to G31. What about FAILSAFE?
Can anyone say something about this important thing?

Saschi
Saschi is offline Find More Posts by Saschi
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:55 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,081 Posts
Failsafe works fine
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:22 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
New guy with a Robird G31 going on a KDS700V2

Hello all
Finally have the unit (G31) in hand and some of what I have been reading here is starting to make sense.

I will start with a couple pic's to ask if anyone sees any issues with my selected mounting locations for the electronics ??

Name: SANY0664.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 214.2 KB
Description:
ESC, SBEC and Rec. pack.
Name: SANY0665.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 212.6 KB
Description:
G31 and Rec.

If I have it right, I will connect ail.+ele. from receiver to G31 using all 3 wires (+,-,s), this is the (6V)power supply to the swash. Gyro and col.(aux1 on receiver)use signal only.
Then rec. rudder to srx2/rud on the G31 (3 wires).This is rud. signal and additional required power supply. The tail servo (Futaba 9254) plugs into the G31 port with an inline volt.reg.
6V power supply to the rec. is from an SBEC fed by a 3S 1000mah lipo.

Additional questions if anyone knows.
> I have the RPM sensor but do not see where or how to hook it up. Is there any purpose to this other than gov. control ie: is it recorded. I do not intend to use the govenor as I have no experience with them and have done OK in the past using throt. curves. I fly mild 3D no smack.
>The sat.receivers are 3 conductor connections. Can I solder up a "Y" harness and use 2 sat's into the single receiver port?? (ie: 3 receivers) Sounds good but I don't know enough about electronics to know if it will work.
>Opinions on the "Orange" receivers?? I have an AR7000 I could swap out of a glider. It's a bit of work but this KDS700 is by far the most $$$ I have ever put into 1 bird.

Sorry about the lengthly post and all the Q's. I am a FBL rookie

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:27 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post
Hi,

connected two spektrum (orange R100) sats to G31. What about FAILSAFE?
Can anyone say something about this important thing?

Saschi
Hi Saschi
First post! Welcome to RCG.

Disconnect the wires to the motor before doing this!!!
In case you are not aware. To set fail safes set all your transmitter controls (sticks and switch's) to where you want them to fail to ie: throt. off, centre ail, ele and rud. etc. Then bind or rebind the receiver to the transmitter. As a test you can hold sticks off centre and shut off the Tx. The servos should move to your preset "fail safe" positions.
Hope this helps
Kerry

This is the method for Spektrum gear, not sure about the rest. "Orange RX" receivers usually say "with fail safe" if they have it.
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 02, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Thanks for welcome me here...

The "failsafe-bind" methode works with real receivers, not satellite receivers. There the g31 has to handle this. Tarot with ZYX-S did it so as well.
Saschi is offline Find More Posts by Saschi