HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,786 Posts
Discussion
Schwingenflug Must be the Duetches Museum

I was in Germany last week and took time to visit my favorite museum the Duetches Museum in Munich. I was interested to find some information on Mr. Lawrence Hargrave, New South Wales aviation pioneer and inventor. Mr Hargrave was interested in ornithopters and flew many models. In 1892 one of them flew 82 meters. Here are some pictures of one of his steam powered mechanisms on display. More information on his models can be seen here
http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/discover_co...nithopter.html
Also on display was an interesting full articulated rubber powered Buzzard model.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Feb 13, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,786 Posts
Photos of the Buzzard
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,818 Posts
Wow .. Amazing .... really amazing .. how those researchers back then were able to build such complicated models...

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,856 Posts
Khaled - Actually ancient Egyptian had a bird like object back several k's ago and the modern science placed that object under the wind turnnel tested. The result is the airfoil equal or better than todays modern planes. Perhaps your great great, grand father is one of them that had the opportunity visited a spaceship while back
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,786 Posts
Actually it has been suggested that the Egyptians had read about the KJELL effect to eliminate drag, suspend gravity, and produce a glider that never lands...... Unfortunately they ordered it from the Wizard from Wyoming, and they are still waiting for the tail to be built as evidence of the many photos.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisGood View Post
Khaled - Actually ancient Egyptian had a bird like object back several k's ago and the modern science placed that object under the wind turnnel tested. The result is the airfoil equal or better than todays modern planes. Perhaps your great great, grand father is one of them that had the opportunity visited a spaceship while back
Hahaha .... that's funny

Khaled
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Actually it has been suggested that the Egyptians had read about the KJELL effect to eliminate drag, suspend gravity, and produce a glider that never lands...... Unfortunately they ordered it from the Wizard from Wyoming, and they are still waiting for the tail to be built as evidence of the many photos.
Friendly PM sent

Khaled
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,122 Posts
Transcription

Presented to the Engineering Association of New South Wales

The absence of any description of these twenty-five photographs might appear to be an oversight, but it is intentional as after long consideration I am convinced that a careful inspection of the plates can not fail to show the thoughtful mechanic the use of every part of the various machines.

By consigning the pictorial record of a portion of this work to your keeping experimenters will be saved much time and labour; and although some persons may now think it a waste of energy to make such structures, the time must surely soon come when numerous workers will devote their undivided attention to the development of some or all of the various types shown here.

An expressed demand for rapid locomotion is all that is necessary to bring into existance as diverse a variety of flying machines as we see in nature.

Lawrence Hargrave
Sydney March 1899
So the australians where there many years ago thanks for sharing Larry .Mr Hargrave had a good vision .By the way Larry how are your Projects coming along regards Brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
I was in Germany last week and took time to visit my favorite museum the Duetches Museum in Munich. I was interested to find some information on Mr. Lawrence Hargrave, New South Wales aviation pioneer and inventor. Mr Hargrave was interested in ornithopters and flew many models. In 1892 one of them flew 82 meters. Here are some pictures of one of his steam powered mechanisms on display. More information on his models can be seen here
http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/discover_co...nithopter.html
Also on display was an interesting full articulated rubber powered Buzzard model.
Thank you for shearing Larry .Very interesting pictures.I like Mr.Hargrave's idea about steam powering of ornithopters /probably he didn't have many other choices/ and I think that one day we will return back to something like that most probably some variation of Stirling engine,which directly drive main spars .
The Buzzard is an model of Karl Herzog who has been an very successful artist painter as well which explain such a level of realism . His models are my favorites from the past. Here is bird's wing principle of operation demonstrator which is made from him specially for Deutsches Museum in Munich.You probably must have seen it:
http://www.ornithopter.de/girafik/herzog/animation.gif
Thank you again
Otto
seagull10 is offline Find More Posts by seagull10
Last edited by seagull10; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:01 AM
Kjell Dahlberg
Mallorca Spain
Joined Nov 2005
1,111 Posts
The Buzzard model. Is demonstrating the perfect movement of the wing with passive wing twist.
KJELL is online now Find More Posts by KJELL
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:24 AM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJELL View Post
The Buzzard model. Is demonstrating the perfect movement of the wing with passive wing twist.
The Bussard's wing is active twisted. See position E.
Velko Velkov is offline Find More Posts by Velko Velkov
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:45 AM
Kjell Dahlberg
Mallorca Spain
Joined Nov 2005
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velko Velkov View Post
The Bussard's wing is active twisted. See position E.
Thanks for the information. OK the active wing twist is perfect.
KJELL is online now Find More Posts by KJELL
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,786 Posts
Seagull10,
I didn't miss the excellent gull model just couldn't fit all the photos. I definitely advise anyone who goes to Munich to stop and see this museum. LJ
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,938 Posts
Thanks for sharing these nice pictures,very educational
some pics collected few years back when started to pay attention on ornis
Sam
herzog
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,122 Posts
Quote:
Seagull10,
I didn't miss the excellent gull model just couldn't fit all the photos. I definitely advise anyone who goes to Munich to stop and see this museum. LJ
i like the design of that wing
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691