HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:38 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,490 Posts
Congratulations. The little Zero is well worth sorting out! Glad you are having fun with it.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:07 PM
Warbird lover!
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2013
70 Posts
Thank you Rocket, you're giving me ideas! And I sincerely hope somebody at HH is reading this thread although it's about a retired model. It flies awesome and the 280 Mustang needs company... hint hint... How about a re-issue with only a few tweaks?

Saturday evening was perfect: no wind. A rare occurance. I could do my usual dives and fly-by's, but without wind, the zero flew (even more) on rails. I could skim the deck, flirt with disaster and then punch it and climb in a spiral into the orange sky. Over and over... But you guys know exactly what I'm babbling about...

The timer on my good old DX6i has gone a bit crazy. It always defaults back to counting up from 6 minutes. I set it back to countdown for 8 but the next day we're always back to "up from 6". I hope the new six doesn't have the same issues as the i...
MTL_Greg is offline Find More Posts by MTL_Greg
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:59 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
I picked up my Talon 15 ESC today and my 0 will be ready to fly as soon as I get the connectors soldered on.

Cheers!
Rocket
RocketRobin is offline Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:10 AM
Warbird lover!
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2013
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRobin View Post
I picked up my Talon 15 ESC today and my 0 will be ready to fly as soon as I get the connectors soldered on.

Cheers!
Rocket
So how does she fly? Must have tons of power! Got any pics or a vid?

Mine is in bad shape... Not from crashing, more from carrying it everywhere unprotected... It's my go-to plane for everyday flying on smaller fields and parks. I need to find/make a box to protect it! UMX planes in a box are way more travel-friendly.

Cheers!
Greg
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:48 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_Greg View Post
So how does she fly? Must have tons of power! Got any pics or a vid?

Mine is in bad shape... Not from crashing, more from carrying it everywhere unprotected... It's my go-to plane for everyday flying on smaller fields and parks. I need to find/make a box to protect it! UMX planes in a box are way more travel-friendly.

Cheers!
Greg
I still haven't maidened Zero minus zero seven.

Last weekend was spent as Pylon 3 judge for Q40 and Quikie 500 races at my CMPRA club meets. I'm not a pylon racer, but I like to help out the club and there's always fun and excitement at pylon races. For instance on Saturday I got to see a 500 get cleaved in half in a mid-air. A nice fire after a crash is icing on the cake, but you only get those at EF1 events (or with Saturday afternoon newbies drilling for oil in the parking lot, when I'm not there).

I'm planning to get 0 - 07 dialed in this weekend. I'm going on holiday on the 7th and 0 - 07 is to be my travel bird.

As far as hangar rash/road rash is concerned, I'm pretty anal with my birds. I like to keep them in new condition. The same condition that the ground crew presented it to the pilot and not war weary BS, which is popular with so many other scale pilots.
Why not present a model of one of Adolf Galland's 109s after he bailed out? Take a pile of briquettes, light them on fire and provide 30 pages of documentation of a pile of briquettes on fire. You will lose points on the flight line, but as long as the documentation (or fabrications thereof) are correct, you're a full scale contender.
Sorry, I digress. I have a beef with official scale model regulations.

If one is to die, the machine will die an honourable death by meeting with it's shadow at a high velocity. Except for wadding up my P-51 in a cartwheel last year I've been pretty lucky, so far. Knock on wood.

Fly it like a P-400, or as the USAAF pilots called it, a P-40 with a 0 on it's six.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Aug 05, 2014, 11:42 AM
Warbird lover!
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2013
70 Posts
Speaking of P40's... I pray for a re-release of the 3s P40 by HH! My Zero-300 needs company... Then I can test your P-400 theory with a flying buddy! LOL
Old Aug 05, 2014, 07:16 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Doh!

I had a rather unfortunate incident with my maiden last weekend.
Beforehand I found that the aileron servo wasn't operating smoothly. I yanked it out and replaced it with a Spectrum A2020 that I had in my parts bin. The new servo worked fine.
Before my flight I neglected to check the aileron direction... you can see where this is going.
After a magnificent one point landing I found out that I required a new fuse and cowl. I now have these parts on order.
I've done some dumb things with my planes before, but never anything nearly as dumber as this.

During the brief time I had 0 in the air I did find that the 8.5 x 7 prop has too much torque for this bird. For my next maiden (maiden?) it will be fitted with an APC 8 x 8.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Aug 05, 2014, 07:55 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,419 Posts
I was given another Zero from a friend here on RCGroups Just Wing it. Who no longer wanted it. I plan on just doing the usual mods to get it airborne reliably. It will be interesting to fly it against my Hamp for comparison.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 07, 2014, 11:58 AM
Warbird lover!
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2013
70 Posts
Mix

While you're busy building your "new" Zeros, you could consider assigning a Tx switch to an elevator-throttle mix. Something low like 3% proportional down elevator applied when applying throttle.

It helps keep my Zero level when I accelerate during horizontal flight.
Old Aug 08, 2014, 12:03 PM
Warbird lover!
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2013
70 Posts
Motor question:

What makes the 300 motor in our Zero so silent...?
It seems like every other brushless outrunner whines a lot in comparison.
And it's not like this motor is a slouch...

So? Any idea?
Last edited by MTL_Greg; Aug 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:38 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
So worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
Congratulations. The little Zero is well worth sorting out! Glad you are having fun with it.
Had an amazing flight tonight! Had not flown her in awhile... and after getting her sorted out the first go round I left the nose a little rough from learning to land properly. So tonight I put on a replacement balanced prop and new spinner - and got an 800mah battery and... holy WOW on rails! Tracking and control on this zero is a beautiful thing. What smooth speed. Dives from high altitude are thrilling into low passes and using rudder with just the right amount of counter aileron through turns keeps you engaged the entire flight.

My field is in a reverse "L" shape with me in the lower corner pocket - lots of room in front for high circuits and aerobatics - And when I choose -- to my left is a long fairway for speed with trees lining both sides... Plenty of room to U turn back - (but watch the trees!) pick up fairway speed past me - smooth bank left and back to the open air in front. Not a dull moment! Wish I could find some to video but love flying alone So glad I have this plane!
mtfly is online now Find More Posts by mtfly
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:52 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,419 Posts
The 800 battery makes all the difference in the world with this plane. The CG with the factory recommended 450 makes her tail heavy and no fun. A small amount of carving is necessary to make the 800-850 batteries work , but as you noticed makes a huge gain.

I would have maidened my second one today, except I couldn't find the only battery I brought in the car until I was ready to leave the field. There is always next week.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:11 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
^^^Sure does

Conditions were perfect this evening. No wind and facing sun behind the clouds. That's what got me to dust off the zero. And, Yes. Battery made a big difference.
mtfly is online now Find More Posts by mtfly
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:29 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,490 Posts
Glad you had A nice flight mtfly. I know what you mean about smooth speed. I think it is a very "slick" airframe. I hope to get mine out tomorrow morning!
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2