Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:24 AM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Rafster, thanks for the tips, but I'm using black striping tape for the pinstripes, not paint, no more masking to do on the cowl . I just can't decide wether to apply it before the finish coat of polycrylic or after.
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:46 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
looks great bud, i often find that a dose of clearcoat over any decals helps lock the edges down.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:33 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,376 Posts
" the checkerboard is going much better than on the tail feathers, not sure why."

Practice:-))))))))))))))))))

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:23 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Finished cowl and wheel pants, plus final "almost in the bones" pics. Love the way it looks, but worried about the weight, more on that in the next post.

Doug
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:43 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Yikes!! First time I've weighed anything on this build. Piled everything on or in the cockpit that isn't yet installed , even a little baggie with misc screws, control horns etc. Still missing is the fiberglass fenders and their brackets, windscreen, and of course covering and paint, which will consist of polyspan, 1 coat of polycrylic to seal it, acrylic paint, and a light coat of polyC on top of the paint. Scales read 6lbs 12ozs already, Franks Bucker weighed in at 6lbs 10ozs ready to fly. . Any guesses on what the final weight will come to after covering and paint? Not sure why mine's coming out heavier but I'm a bit concerned, any suggestions on how to reduce it some? I can remove a little wood here and there, but I'd hoped to keep it under 7 lbs but that's not gonna happen unless I figure something out.

Doug
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:35 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
With a plane this size you probably will have a great performer even at 8 pounds. Your balsa could be heavier as there is quite a bit of wood in the plane. Your motor details add up, but it will prevent you from needing lead to replace that with "functional" or aesthetic weight where it prevents "dead" weight like lead isn't bad. Plus, this is your first scratch build, scale builders everywhere have to fight the dreaded weight issues.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:10 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglo View Post
Yikes!! First time I've weighed anything on this build. Piled everything on or in the cockpit that isn't yet installed , even a little baggie with misc screws, control horns etc. Still missing is the fiberglass fenders and their brackets, windscreen, and of course covering and paint, which will consist of polyspan, 1 coat of polycrylic to seal it, acrylic paint, and a light coat of polyC on top of the paint. Scales read 6lbs 12ozs already, Franks Bucker weighed in at 6lbs 10ozs ready to fly. . Any guesses on what the final weight will come to after covering and paint? Not sure why mine's coming out heavier but I'm a bit concerned, any suggestions on how to reduce it some? I can remove a little wood here and there, but I'd hoped to keep it under 7 lbs but that's not gonna happen unless I figure something out.

Doug
Doug,

At the wing span and thereby wing area your model is at I would not worry about it. Gerry's 43 inch wing span came out to just shy of 3lbs. but, he made an early decision to keep the airframe as light as possible yet as strong as possible during his build process, notwithstanding what the plans said.

Here is the page where the weigh-in came out to:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...269119&page=22

For what its worth here is some pictures of what Gerry did in his build for the FUSE:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=175

and...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=179

Now, what Gerry did for his wing ribs is perhaps the weight savings and you can see at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=92

Again, I would not be that overly concern with the weight thingy as it will benefit with a stronger airframe and wind penetration.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:14 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Doug, those wheels that you are running, are they the dubro ones? I had a set for my heinkel, would have been perfect but at 100g heavier than some lightweight foam tired jobbies they got the chop! I am feeling for you mate, I am coming to think of the scales as my worst enemy when it comes to building!
Maybe worth covering in litespan, I bet even with a coat of paint it works out weighing less than doped and painted polyspan! I would be pretty careful about weight bud, Frank's flys beautifully at its weight but another couple of lb would be very telling on its characteristics I bet!

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Last edited by trumps; Nov 08, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:37 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Thanks guys, I really like the way a light plane flies. After all, most of my planes are Pat Tritle designs and short kits. I'm gonna do some work this weekend with the dremel and trim what I can without weakening the structure. The wheels are already foam so can't do much there but I'll see what else can be trimmed. I'll also try to go light on the paint. Franks plane lifted off in about 6 feet on one of his videos so I know it will still fly well, but like I said I'm use to flying planes with a light wing loading so I don't want to get too heavy. I'll see what can be done.

Doug
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:08 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,327 Posts
Hmmmm...... that is quite a difference in weight. As others have said, I think you will still have a fine flying airplane, but I think that a 3S power system is no longer in the cards. (At least the same 3S power system that I have). It won't be as light on its feet, for sure. I can "hot rod" mine by dropping down to a 15X8 prop and using 4 cells. I'm just closely studying your photos. I just don't see that much difference in the structures. Sure, maybe I got some lighter wood, but does it make that much difference? Are you sure your scale is right? I'm going to double check the weight of mine today, to make sure I haven't been telling lies.

Sure looks purrty!!!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Nov 08, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:54 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,327 Posts
I'm afraid I wasn't telling lies. I first checked my scale and weighed 1 carefully measured litre of water, and it correctly showed 1000g. Then I put the airplane on the scale (minus the battery), and it showed 5lb 15.4oz.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:05 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,409 Posts
I think hard balsa is going to make a BIG difference to the weight Frank. About double the lighter grades is possible.

I've decided I'm cutting all my own strip from sheet now because I can save so much weight and it's not a huge effort anyway - and more than balanced out by the cost saving as well!

Doug, Maybe it's a bit late to do a whole lot of weight saving and my feeling is that she'll fly okay on 3S with maybe a slightly larger prop or increased prop pitch. The problem is likely to be if you want her to go really a bit fast for scale... that can eat a lot of power - particularly at higher wing loadings.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:42 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Frank, I assume you're aware, but my unofficial weigh-in included the battery. I just checked my scales with a liter of water and it was within a few grams of 1000. I just weighed everything again after making a more accurate assessment of what should be included. I remove 0.3 ozs from the pilot bust, cut the alum. struts to rough length instead of two full length pieces, actually added a few bits like brass strips for making the fender brackets, etc. and came up with 6lbs 11.7 ozs. I'm using a turnigy 3s 5000 mah nano-tech that weighs 13.7ozs, so if your battery weighs the same your AUW weight would be 6lbs 13.1ozs. So, the big question is how much weight will the covering and paint on the fuse and wings add? Remember the tail feathers, LG fairings and cowl are finished. I still plan to do some trimming where I can, I know I can scallop the edges of the fuse formers, remove a little more sheeting from the center of the bottom wing etc.

PS With all this discussion of weight, maybe I should start a contest, "who can guess the final finished AUW". Don't know what the prize would be, hopefully NOT the two 3S lipos I already bought after having to switch to 4S!
Last edited by dglo; Nov 09, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,327 Posts
Ah, didn't realise the weight included the battery. Oops. So it's not really that much over the weight of mine. Don't toss those 3S packs yet. Give it a try and see how it feels. I don't know how much weight covering and paint will add. 8-10oz maybe?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:58 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Quick update. Spent several hours with the dremel working on the wings and fuse, removed a grand total of one ounce. Also bought a Zoar wood E prop that weighs 1/2 ounce less than the APC. Don't know if the weight of the prop is a factor while in flight or not, but at least it will look a little better sitting on the scale. Also got some covering done, the polyspan is on both wings, when I get the fuse done I'll post some pics.

Doug