HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Tam showed me this trick a long time ago when we started racing Bu32's
for cg, install the battery and canopy and get ready to fly, set the model on its gear on the table or on the ground. push the tail down to the ground and let go, for us the cg is perfect when the tail just almost wants to stay on the ground but slowly rotates back to the nose wheel......this is a fast and easy way to check cg before every flight
Is this with the stock retracts and gear, or with Tams struts and the spacer plate required for the nose wheel?
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
we use this method for both stock eflight retracts and wheels and Tamstrut setups. as long as the main wheel wells havent been modified then this will work
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,590 Posts
Thanks John.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
819 Posts
Hi John
Interesting article.I take your point re the stock set up. Are you sugesting that for people with little jet experience you would recomend they should build stock first.
I built mine with a Stumax fan and motor Tams retracts and oleos etc.It looked and sounded great but man was it heavy. I am about to start another build because
unfortunately the first one didn't survive too long.Sooo should I just build stock with no retracts and use the E fite fan and motor,6S 5000 all in an effort to save weight and reduce the wing loading.
Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
yes steve I would suggest that you start with a stock setup on 6s, install the retracts and Tamstruts and you will be good to go, I would use a good 40c or higher 4.0 - 4.5ah 6s pack. a lot guys run 6s 5000 packs and they are just too big (heavy) for the stock setup although they work fine and fly great just dont need to carry the extra weight. fly that and get used to how she flies then you could add a heat sink to the motor and go 7s with no other changes, nice little perf boost and then when your ready drop the bad boy in there and hold on.
its much better to stretch your entertainment dollars thru the perf upgrades rather than just jump straight into the rocket ship because once you fly the rocket ship nothing else will do
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,590 Posts
Would the "rocket ship" be a speed run only set up? what set up would that be? Or something you can fly the pant's off. Yep, she's no lightweight, but no really fast jet is.
Here's "The Bad boy" lol.
Of course, you could fly it with a 700-68-2250 motor on 6s and just cruise around while sounding great too.

Ali Demos our Viperjet at Best in the West (5 min 37 sec)

Las Vegas 2012 Habu 32 demo (4 min 30 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:55 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
819 Posts
WOW! that was quick.
I fly off grass so if I just use the fixed undercrrige with wire struts I could put bigger wheels on.Would this create too much drag?
Thanks again
Steve.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
819 Posts
Hey Gary
Ali Test flew my Habu here in Ireland.Truth be told it was the models longest flight.
Steve.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
no it doesnt have to be a "speed run" only jet, I guess I assumed the Stumax setup was an 8s or more setup......my bad......

Gary those are "BAD"
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
WOW! that was quick.
I fly off grass so if I just use the fixed undercrrige with wire struts I could put bigger wheels on.Would this create too much drag?
Thanks again
Steve.
if your flying off grass then for sure put the Tamstruts on her with the retracts, how many cells is the Stumax setup, also since you are flying off grass I would probably go straight to stock on 7s setup you will need the extra uumph for take offs
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
819 Posts
Thanks John
I will clear the decks the weekend.
Cheers
Steve
PS last flight was 6S 5000
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
so its a 6s stumax setup? how much did she weigh? auw
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
Hey Gary
Ali Test flew my Habu here in Ireland.Truth be told it was the models longest flight.
Steve.
That was the first time Ali flew one of my Habus. When your at a turbine event, you gotta fly the turbine pattern.
He really wrang her out (the batteries are only 4000's).
I was quite pleased (and honored) that he actually had fun with it, and said it was faster than his two P-20 Habu's.

He got a big kick out my little Viperjet as well. Probably the smallest jet there.
I knew I should put brakes on it!

Ali Demos our Viperjet at Best in the West (5 min 37 sec)
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:22 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
94 Posts
Just thought I would bring up that Castle Creation is having a Black Friday sale now through Friday on ESC. For instance the 120HV is $162.00.
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
Just thought I would bring up that Castle Creation is having a Black Friday sale now through Friday on ESC. For instance the 120HV is $162.00.
Just scored one ! Thanks !
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256