HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2009
3,418 Posts
Thanks (again) Atomic - I may check those grips out too For now I'm actually going to go over to my Swift 16 and replace the metal tail case and metal triple bearing grips with the original stock plastic tail case the and the 2nd set of TRex 600 grips that I have. All of that metal makes that heli quite tail heavy, and I want to inspect the bearings in those metal grips versus the ones from the plastic grips to see what I can find out. I'm going to swap parts around and see if the binding follows the bearings (radial or thrust) or the plastic grips, or the hub/shaft, etc. I noticed last night when 'looking down the barrel' of the plastic triple bearing grips that the radial bearing closest to the hub appears to sit off center in reference to the hole/geometry in the grip for the thrust bearing - I'll attempt to take a photo if I can set the shot up.

Congrats on your new deck and open airspace Al! I know what you mean - just had a 70ft Maple taken down this spring - boy how that opens up the yard! I can see stars at night now
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:25 AM
Joined Apr 2009
123 Posts
pdooley

Lot of it depends on the type of flying that you intend to do. The 1300KV motor with a good 4S set of batteries will fly the Swift fairly well. I have flown one of mine, some years ago, on 4S/5000/30C packs.

With a 9T pinion, it will turn up a max head speed of about 1600, operating at about 425 average average watts. At this rotor speed you will get flights of about 7.5 to 8 minutes with 20% reserve. You will also find that it will still be relatively aerobatic with inverted flight, backward flight, back flips, forward flips and other mild aerobatics like loops and rolls well within its' capabilities. Mind you, the cyclic rates will be far from a smack 3D rate.

Of course, you could use 10T and 11T pinion for a higher head speeds and cyclic rates with much shorter flight times. A 2000 head speed will require a lot more power (an average of about 680 watts or so) which may well be more then your motor can take.
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:02 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
229 Posts
thanks GM.
7-8min flying is about the max I can concentrate anyway. I'm ready to land my 450's after 3-4 mins to be honest.

i have 3 4S 5000 batteries now, just need to build and enjoy
pdooley is online now Find More Posts by pdooley
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:09 AM
Joined Apr 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
thanks GM.
7-8min flying is about the max I can concentrate anyway. I'm ready to land my 450's after 3-4 mins to be honest.

i have 3 4S 5000 batteries now, just need to build and enjoy
Those packs should be fine if they have an adequate C rating (true 20+C) for general sport aerobatics.

Here is a video of my friend Randy flying the Swift 16 on a 4S/3700/20C Flight Power pack way back in 2006!

Randy 4S Swift Kelowna 2006 (3 min 50 sec)
Last edited by GyroMan; Aug 22, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:00 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
229 Posts
that's the kind of flying I hope to do, nothing more. pretty impressive actually for only 4S and a 55amp ESC!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:21 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
229 Posts
has anyone built a 550 carbon lately? i'm trying to figure out if Century changed a CF part.
The manual lists it as CNE577, but that comes up with something totally different on google search. The part is the CF main shaft support.
manual shows the part as this:

but mine looks like this:

and the holes are too small for the bolts to pass through.
anybody else seen this?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:56 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
229 Posts
these must be updated bits. i just cleaned the holes out a little with an x-acto knife and everything went together no problem.

I will say after building cheap 450 clone kits, this Century is much nicer and a joy to build.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:01 PM
Joined Apr 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
these must be updated bits. i just cleaned the holes out a little with an x-acto knife and everything went together no problem.

I will say after building cheap 450 clone kits, this Century is much nicer and a joy to build.
And you will also find that the components seem to last forever without any wear.