HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:04 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Monmouthshire
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
lukeydukey - Have you got rud/elev servos in the fin?

Seem to remember on another forum, Tony Fu (Sloperacer) said he'd built a couple for people with the servos in the fin to help with CofG and then utilised the servo hatch for the rx and rx battery.

I'm currently half way thro. building a slope Typhoon and am planning on getting an electric fuse for it. Not after big power, something in the region of 600-800W with a geared inrunner and large prop for good efficiency. Want to keep the motor lightish as it seems to be an issue unless you split the Lipo pack to get it under the spar.

Motor choices I'm looking at are :

Kontronic Kira + 5.2 KPG, (205grms)
Hacker B40S + 4.4 Maxon (172 grms)
Mega 16/25/2or1.5 + 4.3 Mega GB (152 grms)

The Mega looks a good option - cheapest and lightest, but possibly the least proven.
TimR74 is offline Find More Posts by TimR74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74 View Post

Seem to remember on another forum, Tony Fu (Sloperacer) said he'd built a couple for people with the servos in the fin to help with CofG and then utilised the servo hatch for the rx and rx battery.

I'm currently half way thro. building a slope Typhoon and am planning on getting an electric fuse for it. Not after big power, something in the region of 600-800W with a geared inrunner and large prop for good efficiency. Want to keep the motor lightish as it seems to be an issue unless you split the Lipo pack to get it under the spar.

The Mega looks a good option - cheapest and lightest, but possibly the least proven.
What about this one?

Scorpion Rockamp HK-2221-7-3900KV with 5:1 NL Micro Edition 104g total weight.

1000watts, 32m/s vertical UP speed, with 3s to 4s and several prop options, you can check here ----≥ http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=1228

Lots of beautiful combinations in this store, not cheap but the best!

Regards!

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:04 PM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
here is the phoon with keychain camera facing forward this time
electric typhoon with keychain camera facing forward in the Lake District UK (7 min 7 sec)
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
Quote:

Mine is 700w
Built by tony fu and with servos in tail and rx in servo tray
See a couple of posts ago for motor details
Mine has 3s battery just behind canopy
Apparently there is a TP 4 cell which fits in there
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Great video BTW, when are we going to get some more weather like that?

Don't suppose you got any photos of the tail servos before the hatch was taped up? would be interested to see the positioning of them. Think I'll go down that route and squeeze a couple of MKS DS6100s in there.

Jebera - I have considered that option! I already have a Scorpion Rockamp HK-2221-7-3900KV with 5:1 Micro Edition in a Swift/Mini-Hawk mini hotliner. Awesome motor and gearbox combination for the power/weight. Thought I'd try something different rather than get another but may end up swapping it over to try out.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey View Post
Where did you get the gearbox and flange adapter plate for Het motor?
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Great video BTW, when are we going to get some more weather like that?

Don't suppose you got any photos of the tail servos before the hatch was taped up? would be interested to see the positioning of them. Think I'll go down that route and squeeze a couple of MKS DS6100s in there.

Jebera - I have considered that option! I already have a Scorpion Rockamp HK-2221-7-3900KV with 5:1 Micro Edition in a Swift/Mini-Hawk mini hotliner. Awesome motor and gearbox combination for the power/weight. Thought I'd try something different rather than get another but may end up swapping it over to try out.
this is patented Fu technology ;-)
here are some pics of the tail... note the 17gram bit of lead in there...
good luck
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Thanks for the spy shot, hope Tony doesn't mind

Interesting, little bit more work than I thought. I like the way he's increased the leverage for the elevator servo so you can use a very small servo arm. Surprised 17grms of lead was still needed back there. I think a light motor/gearbox is the way forward to keep weight away from the extremities, especially with some canopy reinforcement.
Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:00 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
pictures of my Typhoon, just unpacked from SUSA.

I plan to use some 3.2mm carbon fibre rod for linkage from elevator and rudder servos to tail. (see last two pictures)

Things I like about the kit;
good hardware set, clevis, threaded rod, etc. all metric though.
all servo covers, bellcrank cover are beautifully fitted
stabilator bellcrank (with clevis) already installed in tail
rudder control horn (with clevis) already installed.
all control horns are epoxied into ailerons and flaps.
wing is opened up for linkage from servo boxes to top driven aileron/flap control horns.
canopy already has a wire clip epoxied inside to hold canopy on.

something I would like too;
A factory epoxied motor mount, or at least a built -up lip, to hold a motor mount in place. Fuselage is just cut off at front.
Hi guys
This will be my first mouldy that I have fitted out, and one of the things that is mystifying me is the rear to servo mount.
Do you just cut a slot in the rear end of the mount box for the control rods, or face the servo's inwards with the arms facing into the fuselarge, sorry for my ignorance but this is so new to me.
Thanks
Chris
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:06 AM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
I've enjoyed this thread and really been tempted by the Typhoon. With so many build options I have been piecing together what I wanted...

THEN, Apachobby builds a nice PNP version with everything not only selected but installed in what looks like a fairly clean build. Since it was rather pricey at $900 US I was holding off and going to do the build myself. This week they went on sale for $640 so I pulled the trigger and ordered one.

I really hope the build is as nice as it seems and this baby can rip up the skies.
Would it be classified as a "Warmliner" or is this a "Hotliner"? Just curious.

Since I live in a flat area I plan to fly this from fields but on occasion I will trek a few hundred miles to a slope and look forward to also racing it there.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:35 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,777 Posts
Warmliner

RCRCM E-Typhoon - Carbon Fiber Electric Sailplane (4 min 10 sec)
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,412 Posts
Cool video, thanks for that link Stunt Double
. I need to get my Typhoon flying again.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Hi guys
Can somebody tell me, what's the difference between standard typhoon and full carbon? Is there a weight difference? Carbon is obviously stiffer but what is the real benefit in Typhoon scenario? I'm in the hobby for a long time but never penetrated into high performance gliders as I'm about to.:I read on their web site, the frame weighs 950g. Is that for both frames?
I'm thinking,... if your set up is really hot (Neu1110/1Y/6.7) then at higher speeds it can be beneficial, so the wing doesn't flex as much. In a slightly less performing set up, I think the standard version should be enough. I would still put carbon reinforcement inside the from the cockpit section, all the way to the motor firewall.
Can somebody put me into the straight line. Thanks
vil64 is offline Find More Posts by vil64
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the standard Typhoon and full carbon share exactly the same fus (which has carbon reinforcement) and tail, it's only the wings that differ. The full carbon wing offers more stiffness and strength but at a slight weight increase, not sure how much, maybe have a look at the slope forum.

The glass wings are tough, the fus always seems to be the weak link in minor crashes or bad landings from what I've seen on the slope. I don't think the flex will too much of an issue unless you're really giving it some abuse in the air. What do others think?

I didn't bother reinforcing the front of the fuse in the end with mine. The later ones have 4 strips of carbon running to the nose to make it stronger. Ended up putting in the Scorpion 2221-7 with 5:1 Micro Edition, needed a tiny bit of lead up front with 1800 mAh 4S. Pulls 60 amps with a 12x8. Makes for a nice warmliner with a decent climb when I can't be bothered to drive to the slope.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Thanks for that, so.. in the end, the standard version should be fine. Seems like a tight squeeze in the front but from what I've seen in this forum, it shouldn't be a problem. I noticed the shop that used to sell them here, stopped importing them apparently because of some issues. I wonder, was that the plane or manufacturer? This forum was active in 2010 and that's just after the phoon was released. Nearly 3 years now, I would say, the quality should be better. RCRCM also released a new e Hornet, which is very similar but with more space for putting a 35 out runner and bigger battery. I'm surprised, there's very little written about it, no build forum. Looks very nice. What's the story with that?
vil64 is offline Find More Posts by vil64
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:38 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,002 Posts
hey all I just ordered one of these today (great price btw from here at the moment if anyone is looking for one) http://www.apachobby.com/weekly-specials.html and whist I notice a few higher end motor combos in here, I was just curious if anyone has fitted anything HK budget to power it, as in turnigy or eq. I don't fancy spending a fortune on a motor and personally have had good results with the turnigy motors I have owned so far. I'm after something spritely so I'm guessing around the 1KW mark?
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch