SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2015, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Wally_Dad
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
Help!
Parkzone Radian No Power!

All:

I recently purchased a Parkzone Radian from Horizion Hobby through Amazon. I've seen others fly them and was looking forward to having one of my own. Sadly, on the maiden flight I discovered it had almost no power. I could barely keep it flying at full throttle. Horizon Hobby has been great, they have sent me a new ESC (not the issue) and now are sending a new motor (could this be the problem?). I have a DX6 and have double and triple checked the throttle settings, I even started from scratch with a new model definition and no change. I have used two different receivers and several different batteries (all at least 3S 1300 mah or higher) all with the same result. So, before I rip out the current motor and replace it with the one that Horizon Hobby has kindly provided - is there anything that I could be doing to cause this issue? If it isn't the motor, what could it possibly be?

Thanks,

Wally Dad

8/6/15: Issue Resolved - it was the prop (picture below). Apparently some Radians were supplied with defective props. They have a nearly 90 degree angle between the prop face and the shaft versus much less of an angle for the correct props.The symptom is an underpowered flight. Replacing the prop with the correct version resolves the issue. In the picture below, the correct prop is on top.

Wally Dad
Wally_Dad is offline Find More Posts by Wally_Dad
Last edited by Wally_Dad; Aug 06, 2015 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Issue Resolved
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2015, 10:31 AM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,530 Posts
Did you calibrate the high and low points on your Tx so your ESC knows what is max throttle? With most ESC, you power up the Tx and move your throttle stick to it's highest and then turn on the ESC. Once you get an acknowledgement tone you move the stick back down.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Aug 03, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
912 Posts
After reading this, my first thought was battery. You said that you have tried several. That motor is probably pulling about 15 amps so a 1300 battery should should do okay. If these batteries are the crummy 1300 that Horizon supplies with their RTF Radian Pro that could be your culprit? Are you sure that these batteries are at 100% of charge? Try someone else's 1300 battery, maybe charge it on someone else's charger?
Good Luck
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Aug 03, 2015, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
I have to admit that I haven't manually calibrated the ESC, but then I've never had to do that with any other PNP or Bind and Fly model I have purchased. I've tried two ESCs with the same result, so maybe I'll give that a try before installing the new motor.

As for batteries, typically mine are charged up to 97%, I always check them prior to flight. I've used the E-Flight 1300 mah 20C that came with my Sport Cub, Rhino 1750mah 20C, Turnigy 1600mAh 3S 30C, and Zippy 1300mah 40C all of which work fine in other models. So the battery can't be the problem.
Old Aug 03, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by rcbutch
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
I had this problem two weeks ago. Tacked the set up and got 9900 RPM with the supplied prop. Tacked another, older Radian and got 8800 RPM with lots more thrust. Swapped props and the new one flew fine. Props looked the same and had the same part # on it. Try a new set of blades and see it that fixes the problem

RC Butch
rcbutch is offline Find More Posts by rcbutch
Old Aug 03, 2015, 01:40 PM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
Interesting idea. I have a spare set I purchased, but as you noted they have the same number: 9.75 x 7.5_1_1 (two "_1"). What is the number on the props you are using? Another idea would be to try a set of third party props like Graupner. Here's a link to what it looks like when flying right now.

No Power Radian (0 min 38 sec)
Old Aug 03, 2015, 08:41 PM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,530 Posts
Wow, that definitely is not right! I don't own a Radian but have many friends that do. Could it possibly be a loose prop on the motor shaft? Audibly the motor sounds like it's spinning fast enough.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Aug 03, 2015, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by Brynmr
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
888 Posts
It should zoom like a rocket into the sky. Don't forget to give it some down elevator as you blast your way skyward.
Brynmr is offline Find More Posts by Brynmr
Old Aug 04, 2015, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
22,122 Posts
What altitude are you at?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 04, 2015, 07:31 PM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
Prop is tight on the shaft and it should zoom but doesn't. I'm only a few hundred feet above sea level.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by 0leur
Southwest VA, USA
Joined Apr 2008
213 Posts
Have you tried a different transmitter?
0leur is offline Find More Posts by 0leur
Old Aug 04, 2015, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,222 Posts
Hmmmm. It sounds like the motor is spinning faster than the prop. The prop is tight on the shaft but is it possible that the set screw holding the shaft in the motor is loose allowing the shaft to spin? One would think the whole darn thing would fall apart if the shaft can spin but it's worth a look. Or... The prop blades aren't on backwards, are they? It seems silly to even suggest it but that sound sticks with me.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 05, 2015, 05:25 AM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
I may have an opportunity to check it with a new prop today - I've checked the set screw and the tightness of the prop adaptor on the shaft, but I'll check again today. No, I haven't tried a different transmitter, but I might have a chance to do that this weekend. The motor seems to be an easy install, so I can try that too. I'll report any results I have.

Wally Dad
Old Aug 05, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by Paul1PA
Spool 'er up!
United States, FL, Oxford
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hmmmm. It sounds like the motor is spinning faster than the prop. The prop is tight on the shaft but is it possible that the set screw holding the shaft in the motor is loose allowing the shaft to spin?
I also had the same situation as Wally_Dad on a brand new Radian. After some investigation, it did turn out to be slippage of the set screw. It can be tough to diagnose since the set screw and prop assembly seem tight during inspection. Try this test: With the battery unplugged, carefully lock the motor in place so it can't rotate (I partially inserted an allen key into one of the air holes at the back of the motor). Then see if you can turn the prop assembly by hand. In my case, the prop would start to rotate after applying a bit of torque thus validating it was slipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
One would think the whole darn thing would fall apart if the shaft can spin but it's worth a look.
I thought the same thing peterlngh! Turns out there was galling and burrs on the motor shaft. So while it would slip in rotation, it was actually very difficult to pull off axially during replacement. Ended up drilling and tapping for a second set screw as shown in the photo. This worked great but ultimately got wise and replaced the entire prop assembly with a Multiplex M733500. No slippage issues and way more durable with no catastrophic "prop ejections"!
Paul1PA is offline Find More Posts by Paul1PA
Old Aug 05, 2015, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
AH HAH! Ok, now it looks like (although I have not yet confirmed it) the props are the issue. Look at the image comparing the stock to the prop I purchased recently at my LHS. They both are labeled exactly the same (9.75x7.5_1_1).

The "stock" version that came with the PNP Radian is on the bottom. You can see that there is quite a bit more angle where the prop attaches to the shaft. Once I changed them, it was noticeable how much less forward the props came when spinning. I hope to give this a try later today and I'll edit this to post the results.

EDIT: Ok boys and girls the prop WAS the problem. After installing a new prop, I took it to my local flying field and it "took off like a rocket" and of course, I augured it into the ground and snapped it in half. However, I have plenty of CA glue and all of the parts. So we'll see if I can get I in the air this weekend.

Should I issue and "ALERT" in the forum to let folks know about this issue?

Wally Dad
Last edited by Wally_Dad; Aug 05, 2015 at 07:23 PM.