SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:11 AM
Find More Posts by saltcitytattoo
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Jan 2014
133 Posts
Discussion
GP Spirit?

So i have a good wing from my old spirit the fuse is too far gone to be any good (i have not flown it for 12 years). so my question is is the spirit wing worth building a new fuse for or should i just build a different glider all together? if i do a new fuse i was thinking of going pod and boom and maybe V-tail hove not had one yet.
saltcitytattoo is offline Find More Posts by saltcitytattoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by ray foley
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,100 Posts
hi there from Toledo

You can scratch build a new fuselage in less than a day. Just find the plans or measure from your old fuselage, easy peasy.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by MicroRotors
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,927 Posts
Or, ... just go in the classifieds and ask for a fuse for any 2 meter sailplane with a flat bottom or close airfoil. Who cares if it's a spirit fuse, ... well unless your looking for a pure spirit.

Frankengliders are everywhere.
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Oct 08, 2014, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcitytattoo View Post
So i have a good wing from my old spirit the fuse is too far gone to be any good (i have not flown it for 12 years). so my question is is the spirit wing worth building a new fuse for or should i just build a different glider all together? if i do a new fuse i was thinking of going pod and boom and maybe V-tail hove not had one yet.
Do you have enough of the original fuse to use it as a template? If you do, make a new one.

Or, as suggested, any flat bottom 2 meter fuse would work.

Is the wing worth a new fuse? Absolutely!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 09, 2014, 02:12 AM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,234 Posts
The original fuselage is too short, or at least the tail isn't far back enough. This is your chance to fix it. The fuselage can just be a simple box with a rounded chunk of wood on the nose and tail surfaces glued on at the back.

Suggest looking up "tail volume" and designing for a reasonable value, such as those for vh and vv on the Allegro Lite. Also, if you're going to go with a v-tail, look for either Mark Drela's v tail sizing comments, maybe on the Allegro Lite Yahoo group, or the v tail comments at DJ Aerotech's site. Traditionally, v-tails were made too small, and that resulted in squirelly airplanes.

If you've got a good, light tailboom, that's probably a good way to go.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,411 Posts
Yes, a properly sized V-tail should have the same TOTAL area as the equivalent conventional tail, NOT the same "projected" area. A projected area V-tail is too small, it can make the same yaw force, or the same pitch force, but not both at the same time, and therefore is not as effective. That old "projected area" fallacy is the primary reason why V-tails have been subjected to a totally unwarranted bad reputation over the years. Properly designed, the handling and stabilty between a conventional tail and a truly equivalent V-tail should be virtually identical, as demonstrated by planes like our Chrysalis series.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse