New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2015, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Joined Jun 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
Took a ride to the flying field after dinner last night and was really looking forward to getting my old Sky Surfer airborne. Before attaching the sail to the gondola I did a range test. Good thing I did. I walked out the prescribed 90' and hit the trainer button on my DX8 while in range test mode and nuttin. I kept walking towards the gondola and finally, at about 20', it started to respond. Needless to say, there was no flying last evening. Came home and tried it again in my driveway with the same results. All I could get was 20' before it stopped picking up my signals. I went upstairs and got another receiver and installed it in the gondola and now I can get over 90' and it still has signal. So, maybe tomorrow I can get a test flight on this old girl. Moral to the story, no matter how sure you are of your equipment, a range check can really save you some headaches. I'll keep ya posted. tom
Hi, Tom
Another old guy (from the UK) just wondered if you ever did get your old Skysurfer into the air? I've just bought a clone and some of the spare sails and hoping to do a brushless mod. Take Care Cheers Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,172 Posts
No luck so far. It always wants to turn sharp right as I hand launched it and eventually cracked the prop blade shroud and I haven't had the time to mess with it. Any suggestions from the other guys who have gotten this new replacement wing to work. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Jun 01, 2015, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by beladog
I Crash Therefore I Buy
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
1,149 Posts
I got so tired of gluing pieces of shroud back together. Finally reinforced it and was disappointed I had not done it earlier. I have purposely heaved it against the ground and watched it bounce back up with nay a crack.
Easy mod -highly recommended.

As for your right bank issue. Though I have not tried your replacement foil, the test and trim is the same. Hold trike nose wheel up with your back to wind and pull it up over your head with a straight arm. Pull left line or trim left till it pops up straight.
Don't let go till it does:
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cell alarm/checker modification
Old Jun 03, 2015, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by videokahuna
Joined Feb 2007
214 Posts
Ha I've got to laugh a bit. It must be summer time. I just made a trip to my storage and brought home my Sky Surfer Mod. Flew it out over the surf Monday after work. I've still got a couple spares and the original mod still Flys fine. Ted I know is a long time RC paraglide guy. Ha. Summer time.
videokahuna is offline Find More Posts by videokahuna
Old Jun 14, 2015, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Joined Jun 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokahuna View Post
Ha I've got to laugh a bit. It must be summer time. I just made a trip to my storage and brought home my Sky Surfer Mod. Flew it out over the surf Monday after work. I've still got a couple spares and the original mod still Flys fine. Ted I know is a long time RC paraglide guy. Ha. Summer time.
Jack, ( and of course Tom thanks for your feedback) glad you are still alive and kicking! After seeing these replacement foils advertised I found the skysurfer clones for which these foils are made being sold on ebay and stocked up on a couple. I've modified one as they are on 27mhz and brushed motors, by changing to brushless , changing the main servo and adding a couple of small servos on the back arms so I can alter the angle of attack. I haven,t had chance to try it out yet. I have complicated matters somewhat as if you can remember my main purpose is to carry a still camera up in order to take pictures which of course alters the CG and the battery has to be situated at the rear of the machine. Take Care Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Last edited by tedrobphoto; Jun 14, 2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Adding Tom to my post
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:06 AM
Find More Posts by Billwjr
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2012
49 Posts
Paraglider Sky Surfer Graupner

Hello, I just purchased one of these Paragliders, its a Sky Surfer made by Graupner. I saw a paraglider fly at the Joe Nall fly in and had to get one. What have I got myself into now? I have planes, helicopters, and quads. I hope I can figure this out on my own because there is no one flying these around here. The package should arrive in one week.
If I may ask a little advice. What are any upgrades I should do to this paraglider? Go brushless,? Lipo battery? New speed controller? Larger wheels? Any places that might benefit from adding carbon strips?
I don't think this will fly with much wind so I was thinking about putting led lights on so I can fly at night. Is that feasible? I think the Sky Surfer would be awesome for FPV but don't know if the payload would be too much. As you can see I don't know what direction this new craft will take.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom, Bill
Billwjr is offline Find More Posts by Billwjr
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by Chrizz
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
817 Posts
About flying at nighttime, a simple flashlight attached to the gondola, pointing upwards, will do the job by lighting up the foil...

Happy landings :-)
Chrizz is online now Find More Posts by Chrizz
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2007
214 Posts
Billwjr I'm still a big fan of the SkySurfer RC Para-Motor I'm modified a couple to brushless and LiPo and tote a GoPRO camera underneath looking backwards. Over the years I've captured many great sunset beach surf photos.

The RC para-motor may not be ideal for FPV or video recording, there seems to always be a bit of swing or sway that are less than ideal for video. Still works great for photos.

Here's a link to my latest flight photos at Google Picasaweb.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
214 Posts
Ted

Are you still into aerial photography, or just flying for fun these days?

Great to see you too are also still around and flying. I've collected quite a few different models over the past few years. Flypg Flex and Opale Spiral 1.2R, Oxy 0.5, 1.0 and even a Parrot Bebop Quad. The Sky Surfer MOD is still just a bit faster and often a better choice for flying at the beach and capturing photos.

Also added a couple different cameras, now flying a GoPRO 3 Blk on the Sky Surfer but have a Garmin Virb Elite (with GPS) that is a lot of fun to fly on the larger rigs.

Fortunately I still have two ready to mod Hobby Zone Sky Surfer spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrobphoto View Post
Jack, ( and of course Tom thanks for your feedback) glad you are still alive and kicking! After seeing these replacement foils advertised I found the skysurfer clones for which these foils are made being sold on ebay and stocked up on a couple. I've modified one as they are on 27mhz and brushed motors, by changing to brushless , changing the main servo and adding a couple of small servos on the back arms so I can alter the angle of attack. I haven,t had chance to try it out yet. I have complicated matters somewhat as if you can remember my main purpose is to carry a still camera up in order to take pictures which of course alters the CG and the battery has to be situated at the rear of the machine. Take Care Ted
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
49 Posts
Nice pictures. I might try that too. I am thinking a board camera with head tracking might work. I have so many ideas right now but I am sure to narrow things down after I get it in the air. I am thinking something like a mount that can be used for different goals or be removed for just flying around the field. What price do these normally sell for? I found mine on an auction site and gave $170 for the ready to fly with a transmitter. I assume these are no longer made because they are hard to find.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 03:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
49 Posts
looks like I killed the thread.
Old Jul 06, 2015, 11:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
214 Posts
HA Bill

I don't know what happened I used to be subscribed and get emails with updates. Now unless I stop by I guess I miss it.

I have very little FPV experience, so I've got no advice for you but I am very interested in well you do with your FPV setup, and would absolutely like to see a youtube video of your birdseye FPV view, and photos of your rig setup especially if you tote it with your Graupner Sky Surfer MOD.

Good Luck be sure to keep us updated - Jack Z. San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwjr View Post
looks like I killed the thread.
Old Jul 07, 2015, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by beladog
I Crash Therefore I Buy
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
1,149 Posts
You will be fine with FPV and a go pro or a small CNS for stills. I think the vibration kills most HD video, even with after effects and a brushless motor set up.
I would recommend a smaller VTX like a 200mW 5.8 with a Skew.
For ground a cloverleaf and always diversity with a patch.
Pan and tilt will be key and give yourself plenty of overhead throw on your tilt. Will be nice to see what the foil is doing
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cell alarm/checker modification