SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
41 Posts
Thanks! I came within a couple feet of the cameraman and crashed trying to avoid him lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Nice flying! Did you hit the cameraman at 0:45?

Pat
JonathanZ is offline Find More Posts by JonathanZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:21 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,310 Posts
I may give up pretty soon and just cut the poor, crumpled, glued, glued, re-glued nose off mine altogether.
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:33 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,241 Posts
LOL! That's what Al does.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:54 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,240 Posts
And so does Pat. lol Actually when done properly the nose has a touch of negative angle of attack that effects the flight characteristics. I need to build another minni Raptor I miss not having one.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Great flying F-22!

I scaled down the plans to a 12in F-22. It flies well! Using a AP05 motor with a 3x2 prop, 6A ESC, 2S 240mah lipo, and the AR6400 with another servo.

I've noticed that when you bank the F-22 it'll want to return back to neutral, is that normal(caused by the angled stabs?)? Will cutting down the prop or increasing the prop length increase the efficiency of the F-22? ( 5minute flight times, want more flight time!)
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:38 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,844 Posts
Now that is small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Great flying F-22! I scaled down the plans to a 12in F-22. It flies well! Using a AP05 motor with a 3x2 prop, 6A ESC, 2S 240mah lipo, and the AR6400 with another servo. I've noticed that when you bank the F-22 it'll want to return back to neutral, is that normal (caused by the angled stabs?)? Will cutting down the prop or increasing the prop length increase the efficiency of the F-22? (5minute flight times, want more flight time!)
You might need to go a little bigger so you can carry a larger battery. Maybe a 14 inch ws, and a 450 2s?
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,241 Posts
Yeah, that's the problem with going too small, control then becomes an issue. When this plane was first produced, we were using 400-500mAh packs. It flew well, but felt a little light. Now I fly with 850mAh packs, and she is more stable, tracks better in the wind, and is not as "floaty".

Pat
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
You might need to go a little bigger so you can carry a larger battery. Maybe a 14 inch ws, and a 450 2s?
Quote:
Yeah, that's the problem with going too small, control then becomes an issue. When this plane was first produced, we were using 400-500mAh packs. It flew well, but felt a little light. Now I fly with 850mAh packs, and she is more stable, tracks better in the wind, and is not as "floaty".

Pat
I was using the electronics from the brushless sukhoi xp.(were the only electronics I've had.) The F-22 weighs 49g AUW. I made a 9in one in the beginning but I guess it was too small, since it'll roll and dive the left after launching (Right CG everything neutral, checked everything).

How come the power system in pusher props eat a lot more power than prop planes? The same power system I'm using with the Sukhoi Xp (7-8 minute flies) coupled with a smaller 3x3in prop on this jet, the flight times went down to 5 minutes and the noise level has rose to "lawn mower" state.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:54 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,241 Posts
Smaller prop = higher RPM = more juice pulled from the lipo.

With my standard size plane, 2500kv motor, GWS 4530 prop and 3S 850 lipo, I can get 10 minutes easy.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Nov 11, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: I should know better than to type just after waking up
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:08 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Smaller prop = hogher RPM = more juice pulled from the lipo.

With ny standard sixe plane, 2500kv motor, GWS 4530 prop and 3S 850 lipo, I can get 10 minutes easy.

Pat
So larger prop=less juice pulled out? I've notice that the throttle range for my F-22 goes from 0% to ~60% and then at 60% and above the motor spins at a constant RPM. Is the small 3x3 prop causing this(too much current?)?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,241 Posts
One thing you can try doing is programming your throttle curve on the ESC. Typically what you do is turn on your TX and put the throttle stick at full. Then plug in the ESC and wait for "beep......beep......beep beep". After those two quick beeps, fully close the throttle. This will program your ESC to know where your throttle endpoints are.

Sounds like right now it thinks full throttle is at 60%.

Also, always a good idea to check amps to make sure you're not taxing your ESC.

As far as the loud noise, that's an effect of the location of the prop. It's just something you learn to get used to.

Pat
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:59 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
One thing you can try doing is programming your throttle curve on the ESC. Typically what you do is turn on your TX and put the throttle stick at full. Then plug in the ESC and wait for "beep......beep......beep beep". After those two quick beeps, fully close the throttle. This will program your ESC to know where your throttle endpoints are.

Sounds like right now it thinks full throttle is at 60%.

Also, always a good idea to check amps to make sure you're not taxing your ESC.

As far as the loud noise, that's an effect of the location of the prop. It's just something you learn to get used to.

Pat
The problem was the prop, it was not effiecent enough (I guess it was over loading the ESC). I made a new prop slightly longer, tested it, and now the F_22 has over 1:1 T/W For a few seconds longer than before, also with the new prop it'll now have the full throttle range open. Can't wait to fly it.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:09 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
My little 11.5" F-22 isn't stable enough.It flies but it takes 75% throttle to cruise and is hard to turn. My limitations for this project is the AP05 motor (that's the only motor I have right now) with a 6A ESC. What size F-22 could I build with this set up? 15"?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:52 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,950 Posts
Not to want to highjack this post but thought you guys might like to have a look at my next project

I don’t know if this has ever been done (I guess it has at some time or other)

I would think this can only be done on models that require very little sanding so I thought I would give it a try with the Mini F22

I have superimposed the pictures over Pat's plans and I am going to have these printed on self-adhesive (auto type) vinyl, then stick them onto the Depron and then cut out. … this will give a fully pre-finished model once it is assembled.

Wish me luck and I will let you know how it goes ... hope the vinyl isn't too heavy

Here is a pic of the finished plans

Lockey

PS. Hope you don't mind Pat? ... Its time to put the “Power Pack” I bought from you to some good use

Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 28, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:54 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
606 Posts
Pat, wanted to show you what i found at a craft shop (large one, starts w/ the letter M)
Its foam glue called Beacons 3 in 1 advanced craft glue comes in a clear 4 oz for 5.50 otd!
same stuff we have been using for twice the price.
superinstaller is offline Find More Posts by superinstaller