SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:16 AM
Mesa AZ
Joined Sep 2002
38 Posts
Mini wing

Hi
being new to the group I wanted to share my experience with my first self designed project ( especially since it was succesfull !! )
I work at a small Hobby shop in Mesa AZ and aquired a set of wings from an F86 saber EDF which were damaged, having had a blast with my Zagi's and Electrajet I decided to build a small version of a wing for flying in the parking lot at work, after some digging through the junk box at home and 4 hours of work this is the result.
25 " wingspan , direct drive 280 motor, zagi prop, 5 amp ESC, 550 MH Ni-cad, A small block of EPP and some scraps from a Crazymax.
I am actually surpised by the performance, its a bit faster than a zagi, very stable, Extreemly responsive and is easily flown in a small area.

Me and my baby seconds before first launch

Denise
Denisesewa is offline Find More Posts by Denisesewa
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2002, 02:23 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
That is a great looking wing. If you don't mind me asking ... what is the root chord on that wing. I have a speed 280 I'd like to use on a wing and I was thinking about making one from fan fold.

A very professional looking plane.

Eddie
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Sep 11, 2002, 01:17 AM
Mesa AZ
Joined Sep 2002
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by emoone
That is a great looking wing. If you don't mind me asking ... what is the root chord on that wing. I have a speed 280 I'd like to use on a wing and I was thinking about making one from fan fold.

A very professional looking plane.

Eddie
Hi Eddie
the span is 25 " with 5 1/4 inch chord tapering to 3 1/4 inch at the tips excluding the elevons which are 1 inch, I did some CG adjustments last night and flew it again today, what a differance !!! this wing really flys well and far exceeded my expectations, what surprised me more than anything is the 9 minute flight time on a new battery which means it will get even better after several cycles.
Denise
Denisesewa is offline Find More Posts by Denisesewa
Old Sep 11, 2002, 07:08 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Very nice looking wing. Of all my planes so far, my mini-wing was my favorite.

Got a shot of the bottom?

How many cells are you running? I'm not sure I've seen a 550 MH pack before.

I built a mini wing with a 280 and had trouble getting the CG forward without adding weight, of course I didn't think of putting on a larger battery. Does that thing float at all? It must be at least 9oz AUW.

One great thing about these mini-wings is they can take as much wind as you can handle! It just makes them more fun.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Sep 11, 2002, 07:10 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Oh, your proud owner picture link didn't work, but I figured out from your other pics that it was because the extentions of your pictures are all upper case.

http://www.fuglybikes.com/files/micro&me.JPG
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk