SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:28 PM
Marshal Bravestarr's Sidekick
Canada, AB, High Level
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Delta Ray - 1st Vid - What Went Wrong? (Also Plane Eating Tree)

Hi.

So on my 4th flight, of my hobby zone delta ray... I had an encounter with a plane eating tree.

I believe I was turning and got hit by a huge gust of wind and killed power when I should have punched it. Do you all concur? I am wondering what happened exactly and what could be done to prevent it. It feels like I was mid kick turn (Bank + elevators), and got hit by a gust and the nose blew around and dropped on me.... and I was correct by banking up and to the right to avoid trees, but killed power when I should have applied it.

I will not push my luck with wind again.

I like my Delta Ray overall, even if it seems to have little rudder (ie, differential thrust) and I end up banking and using the elevators to turn most of the time.

This video was shot around my house, I just moved in a couple of months ago and it's a huge property that had been basically left vacant for a few years so please excuse the mess! Been working hard to get it cleaned up.

Also, my first video, and first post!

Hobbyzone Delta Ray - Plane Eating Tree - High Level Alberta (3 min 19 sec)
Thirty30 is offline Find More Posts by Thirty30
Last edited by Thirty30; Sep 28, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,585 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Difficult to say exactly what went wrong. You were clearly fighting the wind a lot of the time, but giving it more throttle might have cleared the tree -- or maybe the battery was fading and wouldn't respond?
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
Not your fault! You can clearly see the trees shaking their leaves to create the wind that drew your plane into their clutches. There are two actions for you to follow. First, find a time (usually early morning or late afternoon) when the trees are sleepy and are not shaking their leaves and producing wind. Second, except during take-off and landing make sure that your plane remains three mistakes high OR twice the height of the tallest nearby obstacle, whichever is the higher of the two. You came close to the tree tops on a couple of occasions and should be glad that the trees elected not to jump up and grab your plane out of the sky.

P.S.: Welcome to RC Flying and to this forum. Go to the Sticky section at the top and read SIX KEYS TO SUCCESS.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Marshal Bravestarr's Sidekick
Canada, AB, High Level
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Well, they should learn better. I finished cutting that one up and stacking it to dry for firewood this morning. Hopefully that will be a lesson for it's mates.

Thanks for the warm welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
Not your fault! You can clearly see the trees shaking their leaves to create the wind that drew your plane into their clutches. There are two actions for you to follow. First, find a time (usually early morning or late afternoon) when the trees are sleepy and are not shaking their leaves and producing wind. Second, except during take-off and landing make sure that your plane remains three mistakes high OR twice the height of the tallest nearby obstacle, whichever is the higher of the two. You came close to the tree tops on a couple of occasions and should be glad that the trees elected not to jump up and grab your plane out of the sky.

P.S.: Welcome to RC Flying and to this forum. Go to the Sticky section at the top and read SIX KEYS TO SUCCESS.
Thirty30 is offline Find More Posts by Thirty30
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
45 Posts
Yea, I would agree with the previous two posters. Take it up as high as you can within eyesight, and steer clear of trees!
I also started out on the Deltaray and still fly it occasionally (though its pretty beaten up!). I have always found that wind plays a huge factor in the plane's stability, seeing as it has such a massive wing area as opposed to your traditional 'airplane' shape. The wind really likes to knock it around!
Next time, I would just shoot for a less windy day. But other than that, your flying looked great, especially considering the amount of wind-fighting you were doing!
The_LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by The_LeadingEdge
Old Today, 02:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,685 Posts
Maybe it was the wind but to my eye it looked like you were over controlling the plane and getting it banked too steeply, that probably resulted in it dropping into a spiral dive near the end of the flight. For normal flying around you should be just using very small and gentle stick movements, not slamming the stick hard over every time you want to turn.

'Stick slamming' is one of the unfortunate results of the SAFE system when set in beginner mode. As the model is stabilised so strongly extreme stick slamming is the only way to make it turn. This teaches you bad habits because you cant fly that way once the stabilising is turned off or absent.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Today, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2006
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty30 View Post
Well, they should learn better. I finished cutting that one up and stacking it to dry for firewood this morning. Hopefully that will be a lesson for it's mates...
Attaboy! Awesome response to those plane grabbbers! You gotta show 'em who's The boss! That'll teach 'em!
MartinT is online now Find More Posts by MartinT