SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2014, 04:39 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
Careful!
Hobby King WARNING - They will neither ship NOR refund - they KEEP my money!

I had some orders with Hobby King. After a number of days they wouldn't ship - they just kept telling me that it was being processed.

Finally, when it was clear they would not be shipping my orders, I filed a dispute with Paypal. It has been a week since I did so and they haven't refunded.

I have had two chats with Hobby King reps today and both have told me that it's the official policy of Hobby King NOT to refund when someone files a Paypal claim.

Yes, you read that right. I didn't believe it myself so I started another chat with another agent to confirm it and he did. If you have a Paypal claim against Hobby King they REFUSE to either ship your items OR refund your money. Both reps explicitly told me, in plain English, that Hobby King intends to keep my money and send me nothing.
adanac is offline Find More Posts by adanac
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2014, 04:53 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,945 Posts
A buyer has 45 days to file a PayPal claim.

Once one is filed, HK stops all action on the order. A buyer would be wise not to file a PayPal claim until all other avenues have failed.

If you thought HK was going to jump on your order and immedadiately process it after you filed the PayPal action, you were mistaken. Doesn't work that way.

I think all the guys recommending filing a PayPal claim right away are doing the buyers an injustice. I use it as a last resort.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
I totally agree. Last resort in my cases as well. Unfortunately, I'm now out about $450. Hobby King keeps it.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:10 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
Resolved.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Last edited by turbojoe; Apr 04, 2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Resolved
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
Their customer service is non-existent. When you e-mail or chat with them they repeat the same thing over and over again and literally ignore any question where they can't cut and paste from the stock answers. It's Orwellian, really.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:35 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac View Post
I totally agree. Last resort in my cases as well. Unfortunately, I'm now out about $450. Hobby King keeps it.
If they haven't shipped it, paypal will refund you your money. Sadly, it takes time for the PP resolution to happen.

A lot of people recommend filing a PP dispute to speed up the refund process, but I think it just slows things down in most cases.
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:47 PM
biker hiker puter geek
Joined Dec 2013
195 Posts
Quote:
I had some orders with Hobby King. After a number of days they wouldn't ship - they just kept telling me that it was being processed.

Finally, when it was clear they would not be shipping my orders, I filed a dispute with Paypal. It has been a week since I did so and they haven't refunded.

I have had two chats with Hobby King reps today and both have told me that it's the official policy of Hobby King NOT to refund when someone files a Paypal claim.

Yes, you read that right. I didn't believe it myself so I started another chat with another agent to confirm it and he did. If you have a Paypal claim against Hobby King they REFUSE to either ship your items OR refund your money. Both reps explicitly told me, in plain English, that Hobby King intends to keep my money and send me nothing.
there is a representative from HobbyKing on this forum....send him a PM

HobbyKingCSNYC

and explain your situation to him......here is a good opportunity to turn things around Hobby King.

i was told the same thing about the PayPal dispute. they won't do anything if there is a dispute.

here is a quote from HobbyKingCSNYC "The bottom line here is that all I can do is apologize on behalf of all of us here at HK and thank you for your patronage. If you do choose to continue your business with us and end up having any sort of problem then contact us here first and we'll sort things out for you.

HK CS NY "

good luck
uncledude is offline Find More Posts by uncledude
Last edited by uncledude; Apr 03, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:08 PM
United States, NY, East Farmingdale
Joined Dec 2013
163 Posts
To all concerned,

PM us the details of the order(s) in question and we WILL make it right for you, one way or the other.

As far as PayPal disputes go, what happens is this: as soon as a dispute is initiated they retract the funds and put them in a sort of 'escrow' until the dispute is settled. That means in our system the order in question shows up as 'unpaid'. So obviously an order that has not shipped won't go out. That's why things get held up.

We've had some issues with the website recently and one of the things that has come up is mis-sync between our site and PP resulting in orders getting put through as charged on PP but not on our site. Very troubling. We're working to correct it ASAP.

HK CS NY
HobbyKingCSNYC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:11 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
Resolved.

Joe
Last edited by turbojoe; Apr 04, 2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Resolved
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:18 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKingCSNYC View Post
To all concerned,

PM us the details of the order(s) in question and we WILL make it right for you, one way or the other.

As far as PayPal disputes go, what happens is this: as soon as a dispute is initiated they retract the funds and put them in a sort of 'escrow' until the dispute is settled. That means in our system the order in question shows up as 'unpaid'. So obviously an order that has not shipped won't go out. That's why things get held up.

We've had some issues with the website recently and one of the things that has come up is mis-sync between our site and PP resulting in orders getting put through as charged on PP but not on our site. Very troubling. We're working to correct it ASAP.

HK CS NY
You want a chance to keep me as a customer? Here's my order number. 2008765031 You should be able to see all communications I've had with live support.

Edit: Resolved

Joe
Last edited by turbojoe; Apr 04, 2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Resolved
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2013
163 Posts
Quote:
If you have a Paypal claim against Hobby King they REFUSE to either ship your items OR refund your money. Both reps explicitly told me, in plain English, that Hobby King intends to keep my money and send me nothing.
That's not really how that works. Once a PP dispute is opened Paypal is then in control of your $$$, not us. If the result is that PP refunds your $$$ then we will obviously cancel the order and you won't get the items but you will have your $$$ returned. That's why a PP dispute just shuts everything down on our end.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:17 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
+1 Joe. That someone from Hobby King has the balls to post here adds insult to injury - it blows me away. There is no doubt in my mind that helping is the LAST thing he wants to do here. If he wanted to help he would have contacted me as soon as he saw my thread, not use it to post more blah blah.

It's possible I wasn't clear in my thread started so I'll try to re-phrase it. Two chat reps, one named Jed and the other named Lester, told me today, in writing, that it is the official policy of Hobby King to NOT refund people who file Paypal claims. They say you have to cancel the dispute first. I told Lester I would not be canceling my dispute and asked him to answer with a yes or a no to the question, would Hobby King refund my money? He said,"No."

NEVER, EVER cancel your dispute. It is the only chance you have of preventing them from taking your money.

Think for a moment about what they are saying. They are angry at you for canceling because they won't ship, and show it by having a spite policy of no refunds.

I don't know if I will get my money back or not. They have stated unambiguously that they will do what they can to keep it. Hopefully, the Paypal system works but I have no doubt that if Hobby King can find a way to keep my money, they will. They are on the other side of the planet and know they can't be touched. Are we sure they aren't in Nigeria?
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
As you know, anonymous Hobby King person, what you're saying is a complete lie. On one previous order Hobby King refused to ship, and where I was also forced to resort to Paypal, Hobby King refunded my money within a couple of days. It's now been 8 and there has been no refund, no apology, no communication, and both chat reps and e-mail based support people parrot the same things over and over again.

If you don't like Hobby King's voluntary, spiteful no-refunds policy, don't shill for them. If you disagree that that is the policy have a chat with Jed or Lester (yes, I know those are fake names they use) and they will tell you themselves. Your disagreement is with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKingCSNYC View Post
That's not really how that works. Once a PP dispute is opened Paypal is then in control of your $$$, not us. If the result is that PP refunds your $$$ then we will obviously cancel the order and you won't get the items but you will have your $$$ returned. That's why a PP dispute just shuts everything down on our end.
Last edited by adanac; Apr 04, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined Dec 2013
163 Posts
Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that helping is the LAST thing he wants to do here. If he wanted to help he would have contacted me as soon as he saw my thread.
I did that by saying PM me the details of your order. If you want me to PM you first to initiate contact then I will by all means do that.

Quote:
NEVER, EVER cancel your dispute. It is the only chance you have of preventing them from taking your money.
As stated previously, that is not the case. PayPal can and will easily refund your money if the dispute is not settled between HK and the other party.

Quote:
anonymous Hobby King d-bag
Despite the name calling I'm still offering to help and make things right for you. Our NY office works very differently from the overseas branch and we've been able to make a lot of angry and disappointed people very happy and satisfied, give us a shot...it can't hurt can it?

HK CS NY
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2014, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
If you had wanted to help you would have contacted me, not make me do more work on top of over a dozen chats and multiple emails. Moreover, if you do not want to deal with people who are incredibly frustrated by your company, don't work for them. I could never do what you do; I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

I'm in a chat with someone named Kier as I write this and he, too, has confirmed that Hobby King will NOT be refunding my money. Ask him yourself if you don't believe me.
Last edited by adanac; Apr 03, 2014 at 09:16 PM.