SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:37 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Piccolo questions from a new guy

Howdy.

I'm sort of a transplant from the slope soaring forum. Hmm...long story. I started out in RC a few years ago with an Excell 30. After a crosswind scare and a hard landing (no damage, just to my nerves) I decided to sell it to someone that was less likely to destroy it in a hurry. I've gone from the most expensive and complicated to the cheapest and simplest. I don't know what it was that got me over here, but I'm feeling the pain in my wallet.

After doing the obligatory background searches and research, I ordered a Pic Eco from my LHS...something about the idea of flying in my house.

Wife: You're not going to fly that in the house, are you?
Me: ...um...no...

I've speant a lot of time on a CSM sim and I'm getting fairly adept with that, so I'm confident I'm gonna pull it off this time. But...

I haven't ordered electronics yet. I see some guys are running separate components. Sould I be thinking of going this route to start with, or should I just go with the piccoboard? What about a cost advantage? Performance advantage? My wallet's starting to throb again.

Any advice you guys could render would be greatly appreciated. I've been all over the search engine and read a lot of threads, but I'm still not sure of the best way to go.

Pete
Pete-O is offline Find More Posts by Pete-O
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:58 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Here are my 2cents.
Of all the mixer boards and all in one boards available, the piccoboard is by far and away the best. You can be confident that if you plan to stay with a brushed setup, it will be reliable.
Now, you have to ask yourself if you will ever ever be tempted to go brushless. See where I am going?
The biggest advantage full separates has is versatility. You can get whatever individual parts you feel are best, or cheapest or whatever your purchasing needs are.
My own choice was a combination of the two. I have a hummingboard, which is just two esc's and a mixer, and I have a separate receiver and gyro. I got the mixerboard before I had a radio that would do revo, and I got a non HH gyro (pg-03) based on its low cost.
The choice is an individual thing. One thing to note, if you ever do decide to go CP or brushless, you will have to go with separates.
Hope this helps
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:30 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Hmm...that sounds like good advice. I can see going brushless sooner or later, but probably later. I've got other projects as well that need attention (gliders, RC trucks, etc.). When I make the switch to higher performance maybe I'll buy another heli. More is always better, right? I downloaded the video of that e-copter. Man, did you hear how that thing spins up??? That's a really nice sound! Oh, there's that pain again.

Thanks for the input.

Pete
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:37 PM
United States, CA, Stanton
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
Pete-O

I have a piccolo Pro I'm going with seperates and HH gyro, just waiting for all the stuff to get here so I can finish my Piccolo Pro. It's going to be another week or so before I can finish it. I just need a transmitter. I hear ya on the ole wallet !
mdttb is offline Find More Posts by mdttb
Old Feb 19, 2004, 07:42 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,703 Posts
I like this package;

CSM HLG200 HH Gyro
2 cell LiPo batteries (1000 - 1200 mAh)
GWS ICS100 and GWS ICS50 ESCs
(or 2x Pixie7P ECSs)
micro receiver of your choice
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Feb 19, 2004, 08:06 AM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Well then the real question is can I put all of this (meaning a complete functional heli electronic package) for less than if I did it with a piccoboard? If I have this right, the piccoboard has 2 esc's, a gyro and does revo mixing. I've got an Airtronics Stylus, so I've got the revo mixing. I haven't priced these yet so pardon my ignorance, but can I get 2 esc's and a gyro for less than, what, 150 bucks?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 08:33 AM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
The answer seems to be a resounding YES. The Pixie 7's are $32 each and the HLG200 gyro is around $95, 10 less for the light version. What to do, what to do... Do I get the Zagnut and the Ho-Ho's or the Ding-Dongs and the Snickers?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 09:11 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Dont forget your receiver. The piccoboard (with receiver built in) has a built in Berg receiver. The Berg is likely the best single conversion receiver on the market. Even if it ends up costing you a few bucks more, going the separates route is probably your best choice. As far as gyros go, check out the new MS heading hold gyro. Fantastic reviews so far.
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Feb 19, 2004, 09:27 AM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Now I have to be stupid. Who's MS? Website? Part number?

As for the RX and servos I thought I'd just use a 555 and HS55's to start with (got them lying around here somewhere). I'll probably go straight for lipo's and build the charger that I saw somewhere on this forum (also got those parts lying around here somewhere).

I was looking at Aeromicro and saw that they've got single lipo cells (1200's) for $12, but the 2-cell pack is something like $35. Is it just fear of building your own packs that drives that price up or am I missing something?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 06:05 PM
Electric forever,
Malaga, Spain
Joined Sep 2003
253 Posts
Not just the fear of building, but a fear of destroying you house and maybe burning yourself in the process.
Take a look at this link. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=160551
twinstarchris is offline Find More Posts by twinstarchris
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:49 AM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Yikes! They go up fast, don't they? I've probably got as much experience soldering as anyone, and I'm thinking I don't want to mess with it! Thanks for that.

On a similar battery note, what are the "s" and "p" designations peolpe are using in their battery descriptions? Series and parallel?
Old Feb 20, 2004, 05:15 PM
Electric forever,
Malaga, Spain
Joined Sep 2003
253 Posts
To answer you question yes.
The speed frightened me, in which they became "baloons". I dont mean for everyone to buy packs. Just give them extreme respect. Because I was careful and took my time and they still turned round and bit me on the behind.
twinstarchris is offline Find More Posts by twinstarchris