HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2013, 12:51 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
Discussion
Ramz' HUGE compilation of ladybird mods

This thread is dedicated to the walkera ladybird and ladybird V2 with the purpose of compiling all the known viable mods. Please feel free to add your input but i ask that we keep the topic on the ladybird and v2 fc.

Background: My first experience with walkera and the ladybird began in late January of this year. I purchased the ladybird v2 devo f4 fpv package from hobbywow. When i received it everything was very well packaged and all i had to do was charge the lipo, wait about 10min (good practice with lipos), i put 4 rechargeable nimh's in the devo f4 and from there it's literally power up the devo and plug in the lipo to the ladybird within a few seconds and it binds automatically. My first flight was crazy, i had no experience with quadcopters or fpv. I immediately found that the battery plug was extremely tight so it's necessary to shave the locking nubs don the battery plug with a razor blade. With the factory settings and not having developed any skill yet, it felt very twitchy and i crashed... a lot! So from there i started to mess with the settings, particularly the dual rates, in an effort to tame this wild little beast. So here's where i'll segway to the mods, both in terms of settings and hardware...

Dual rates and their respective settings are crucial to be successful when learning to fly and effectively operating the ladybird. From the factory the rates are all set at 100 which is way too high to learn with. On the devo f4 and f7 you first enter the main menu by pushing the enter button located to the right of the lcd screen. To access the dual rate settings enter the function menu and scroll down to dual rates. Once your there you'll see pos0 to the upper right, if you select this you can toggle between 2 fully programmable flight characteristics. I set my pos0 for indoor flying and my pos1 for outdoor. To do this i go down to where it says elevator by using the left hand buttons, and set it at 20 using the right hand buttons. Then you can highlight elevator again and by using the right hand buttons select aileron and set it to about 15-18 for indoors. Then select rudder and set it at about 70-75. For outdoors switch to pos1 and set elevator to to 55-65 and rudder 75-90 or higher of you'd like. These are just my suggestions for starting out.

Ok so lets get to the good stuff! So once you've got some practice in and your ready to see the full potential of the fc, controller and fpv system here's what you'll need...

1. Bigger motors: walkera infra x 8.5mm, get a set for $25-$30. I can confirm that hobbyflip.com is a reputable retailer of these motors. They sell them on Ebay as well as on their website. These will take performance WAY up even though it's not bad factory eventually you'll crave more power and flight time and these motors will deliver both! It's a good idea to remove the bottom cap of the motor holders and pop the rubber feet from the stock motors into the infra x holders and put a dab of hot glue inside as you push the holder back on. Make sure you align the wires with the channel so they don't get pinched. The plastic legs on the motor holders will unfortunately break off easily so i cut them off and the rubber feet work great.

2. Bigger battery: CHECK YOUR POLARITY FIRST!!! turnigy nano tech 1s 750mah 35C. IMPORTANT, YOU MUST SWITCH THE POLARITY OF THE BATTERY PLUGS!!! First get a good tooth pick or use a multi meter probe to push the lock tab in on 1 of the plug pins. Pull the pin out by grabbing it's wire, wrap the pin in electrical tape so that when you pull the second one you don't touch them together. Pull the lock tabs back out before you swap their positions in the plug.

3. Better antennas for receiving video signal to the devo f4 or f7: I recommend getting a panel (aka patch) antenna found on Ebay for about $8. It's got 11db of of gain which means long range and great multi pathing rejection, but it's directional so you'll have to face it in the general direction your flying unless your within about 100-150ft. For this antenna you'll also need a6in ipx to rpsma extension cable. My installation tutorial is here:
Part 1: FPV Devo F4/F7 Antenna Mod Tutorial (13 min 29 sec)

4. Proper antenna for the tx5805 video transmiter: I use a half wave dipole that i make to exacting specs. If your interested send me a pm. Half wave dipole is generally regarded as the most efficient type of antenna. My tutorial on this is here:
Tutorial #1 TX5805 Ant (23 min 52 sec)

5. Wide angle lens for the tx5805: the 808 d lens is a direct swap. Use a little rubbing alcohol on a q tip to dissolve the glue holding the stock lens in place. Unscrew it carefully with it pointing down so nothing accidentally falls on the sensor once you get the lens off. Screw the 808d lens in with it still pointing down, until you get it about as far in as the stock lens was. Turn on the system so you can view the video screen and adjust the lens until the picture is clear.

Continued....
Ramz Innovations is offline Find More Posts by Ramz Innovations
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ramz Innovations; Jul 18, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
So now you've got a really nice fpv nano sized quadcopter that's not going to break the bank and will satisfy beginners all the way to experts!

An experienced operator can effectively fly this in winds up to 25mph or even more. The ladybird v2 fc is capable of very sporty acrobatic flight even with the added weight of the fpv equipment. With the rates set properly, aggressive banked turns, flips, rolls and dives exceeding 40mph are easily possible.

Other important things tips:

When purchasing always check with the seller to be sure your getting the 100mw devo f4 signified by a 0.1A or 0.2A inside the battery compartment. And, you want the 200mw tx5805, this is the CE version with 4dip switches, not the 2 switch or the FCC version! These versions are the higher output power and get you the best range.

The video channel select allows you to switch between 8 possible channels on both the tx5805 and in the video select menu of the F4. Channel 8 has always given me the best range. On the newer ce version the dip switch all the way to the right should be in the up position to transmit all 8 possible channels, otherwise only ch1-4 will work. I find that in high brightness environments it's best to go to the ch select screen on the f4 and scroll down to ch1 (leave the tx5805 on ch8, i always leave it there) then wait a couple seconds for the solid blue screen, then hold the up button down for a couple seconds so it quickly scrolls to ch8 without stopping on any other channels. You should see the brightness go down and the picture quality get substantially better. It's like it defaults in night mode with every power up of the tx5805 and doing this puts it in day mode. I'm not sure if this is what's actually taking place or if it's just capturing the channel better, but it works.

Differences between ladybird v1 and v2:
The v1 does have an accelerometer chip onboard but the v2 has virtual accelerometer that does very very close to the same. Some people report that it isn't a noticeable difference. The other thing is telemetry, which is cool but sucks up a lot of flight time and is really only useful if your not flying fpv (since the info is inside the menu not on video screen) and with the low voltage protection onboard the v2 it's not going to allow you to kill your lipo.

Now i don't have a v1 myself so i can't confirm this next part, but some have said that the mix programming of the v1 does NOT allow for aggressive banked turns which i can personally confirm the v2 does very well. So maybe they've added a firmware update for that but I'm not sure.... Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in and lets know the facts on that.

Devo F4 setup tutorial and antenna orientation explained...
DevoF4+LBV2 Setup Tutorial (21 min 28 sec)

I'll continue to add more info and pics and videos, but right now i need to get back to developing the next mods...stay tuned!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ramz Innovations; Nov 02, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 03:00 PM
1 man standing in a field
United Kingdom, Royal Leamington Spa
Joined Sep 2012
147 Posts
Thanks for such a detailed explanation of your mods - I look forward to hearing more.

I do have a few questions:

- Your video doesn't show, but I presume you re-assemble the wrapping back onto the TX5805 before reattaching to the Ladybird.
- I'm interested to hear how you make your FPV TX aerial - you say it's half wave dipole, but I thought they looked like a T - where one half that sticks out is the inner core & the other half is the shielding ?

Thanks also for the tips on choosing the Ladybird - I might struggle to get a high volume seller to check for 0.1 or 0.2a in the battery compartment though.

Cheers

Paul
the_bunker is offline Find More Posts by the_bunker
Last edited by the_bunker; Oct 01, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 03:04 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,880 Posts
Subbed

Good info ramz

Much appreciated
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 01, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bunker View Post
Thanks for such a detailed explanation of your mods - I look forward to hearing more.

I do have a few questions:

- Your video doesn't show, but I presume you re-assemble the wrapping back onto the TX5805 before reattaching to the Ladybird.
- I'm interested to hear how you make your FPV TX aerial - you say it's half wave dipole, but I thought they looked like a T - where one half that sticks out is the inner core & the other half is the shielding ?

Thanks also for the tips on choosing the Ladybird - I might struggle to get a high volume seller to check for 0.1 or 0.2a in the battery compartment though.

Cheers

Paul
Your welcome, i enjoy being able to help! I didn't wrap it back up because I'm installing it inside the version 2.0 carbon fiber enclosures i make. It will mount in inside the top, similar to how my version 1.0 texalium (silvered fiberglass) builds. It sits in a little tray with a Velcro strap. The antenna goes through a hole straight out the top and is sealed for rain flight with rtv gasket maker.

The antenna IS a half wave dipole consisting of two quarter wave elements. There are several ways to make a dipole depending on how you want the radiant field. Mine are designed to radiate in a doughnut shape. The type with the shield at 90 to the signal causes the radiant field to be squashed into a larger diameter but thinner donut shape. The shield portion of the active element on mine consists of a metal tube double soldered to the coax. It's very rugged and won't be easily damaged in a crash. To make a dipole for 5.8ghz you need to have a way to accurately measure the signal and shield elements. The more accurate the better efficiency. 5.8ghz is very very sensitive to variation in length. I use a digital caliper that i routinely calibrate with a micrometer using a gauge block. This way i can be sure it's accurate since my caliper is calibrated to+- 0.0005in or 5 ten thousands of an inch.

I've had good results with HobbyWOW, they always return my emails within 48hrs and have ensured that i will receive what I've requested. They pack their stuff well and ship quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Subbed

Good info ramz

Much appreciated
No problem, thanks for subbing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
99 Posts
Subscribed!!

.....yesturday I upgraded my ladybird witb the infra x motors and traxxas qr1 props.
Holy smokes!! The bird flys like a rocket.....well not like a rocket...but it's fast!
At one moment....I almost gave myself a mohawk. ...lol.

Thanks ramz for suggesting these x motors....qr1 props with a dabble of super glue inside to ensures they won't fly off....the turnigy nano tech battery 750 mah and switching the polarity to fit ladybird.

Now all I need is one of your waterproof bodies!!
kyles974 is offline Find More Posts by kyles974
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:09 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,568 Posts
Ramz, great new thread but Im confused on the antenna though. Can you buy a 5.8 half dipole eg from HobbyWow? I plan on using Fatshark Attitude goggles. Should I use the stock Fatshark VRX antenna, a Spironet or something else? Im happy to try initially the stock 5805 antenna but would like to get the decent range that you are getting. Do you use goggles or still using the Devo screen?
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:20 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,880 Posts
yes, what spironet antenna should we use?

I'm going to be needing one
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
No i don't think they have the dipoles on HobbyWOW. I make them, they're $15 shipped anywhere in North America. If your planning on sticking with a linear antenna (ie. Dipole) on the tx5805 then you can use the stock fatshark antenna (also a dipole) or you could put a patch antenna on it (which is what i would do). It really depends on what type of flying you like to do. Do you prefer to fly around yourself in every direction hundreds of feet away, or do you like to plan to fly in one general direction. The 11db patch is highly directional and receives the signal in about a 45 angle horizontally. Now it will do fine up to about 100ft straight behind you (with a 200mw vtx and dipole) but you'll probably get some static. I have a video i took the other day where i pointed the patch down at the ground and flew around a park to show that it will still work at a decent distance and behind trees, even when not pointed at the vtx, but have static. I'll upload the video as soon as i can.
Now I'd suggest looking up info on multi path interference, it's different than static it's a reflected signal inference. 5.8ghz is pretty prone to it without either using a directional receiver antenna (ie. Patch aka panel) or you can use a set of circular polarized antennas (ie. Clover, skew planar, helical etc.) The Spiro antenna sets are clover for the vtx and skew for the vrx as i understand it. If your thinking of going with the cp antennas I'd recommend getting a matched set, as they will perform much better. Do not mix cp and linear antennas unless you want your range cut in half (3db loss). Also, don't mix right hand cp and left hand cp, it probably won't work at all. Cp antennas are heavier and more fragile than linear, generally. My dipoles weight 1g, you can usually strip down a clover to about 3-4g. So it's your call... Most cheapo cp antennas aren't made correctly and could damage your vtx so look at reviews if you go that route. With the tx5805 the antenna is soldered on the board so any antenna that's mass produced, you'll have to cut the sma connector off and strip back the shield and signal wires to solder it on. The dipoles i sell come pre tinned and ready to solder on, i made them specifically for the tx5805. So that about sums it up unless i forgot anything... Feel free to ask anything else your still unsure of. I'm going to go ahead take another tutorial video on the devo f4 menu settings and I'll upload asap...
Happy flying guys! :-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:41 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,568 Posts
Hi Ramz
ah OK I will buy your antenna, whats shipping to Australia? How do we order it? And do you have other items to sell? Any website or Blog that lists your items? I will be flying around me inside and my backyard to start with. Im a FPV Learner!
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Hi Ramz
ah OK I will buy your antenna, whats shipping to Australia? How do we order it? And do you have other items to sell? Any website or Blog that lists your items? I will be flying around me inside and my backyard to start with. Im a FPV Learner!
I'll need to check on shipping to Australia. I mail them in a letter size envelope with a protective slip so it shouldn't be much but i'll check and get back to you asap. You can purchase through Paypal but i want to make sure shipping is reasonable first.

I'm finishing up with my custom frame and carbon fiber enclosures. I've got some work to do on it still and testing but I'll have them available very soon.
You can get an idea of what's going on here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...ttach&u=465345

Thanks for your interest!

Regards
James
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
I found some info on the tx5806 fcc on walkera's site... 25mw just like i was saying over on another thread...
http://www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=1783

They did, at one point a couple months ago have the specs listed for the tx5805 ce and it said 200mw...
http://www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=2322

If you look at what they have now it appears that they no longer have the older non-ce tx5805 with the vertically oriented dip switches and have replaced it with the ce with horizontal dip switches... This makes sense because the new ce board design had dropped 2g from 9g to 7g due to the smaller board size and cutout section around the dip switches The two naked boards are the same thing just stripped to go inside the w100s body. So I'm fairly convinced the ce versions out there are in fact 200mw and fcc we know is 25mw...

http://www.walkera.com/en/search.php...gwNjg0NDk4O30=
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ramz Innovations; Oct 01, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
373 Posts
Where can we buy the 808 d lens? I found them with what looks like a whole new sensor on ebay for $12, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.
SirRexAlot is online now Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Old Oct 02, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1,086 Posts
Yeah they come with the sensor. Just unscrew the lens and screw into your sensor housing. Just follow the direction i gave above.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2013, 01:52 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Hi Ramz
+1 for a price for shipping to Australia thanks
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63