SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Question
Mini Cub-J3 CofG?

Just took delivery of this neat litte 26" starter, but I don't believe where they say the C of G should be - just 25mm from the LE?

I thought it should be around 1/3rd the chord of the wing? This would be 40mm+

Before I maiden it, I thought I'd check with other owners...
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Nov 2008
465 Posts
There are so many different mini j3 cub in the market, which one you are talking about? 26" is good size for me too.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
There are so many different mini j3 cub in the market, which one you are talking about? 26" is good size for me too.

Edmond
Mine's the HobbyKing. I wanted a small one to learn on, and it looks quite a robust one. Just one complaint though. Why don't come with prop savers?

Since the majority of buyers will be newbies, it woud be a good idea. E.g. took mine out for it's maiden today and boinked it twice. Result - a bent motor shaft!

Hell of a job to straighten out it was too...

Next time out I'm going to set dual rate REALLY low, I might have better control over it then!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Nov 2008
465 Posts
Yes these Hobby kIng plane made of EPO and is very strong, I might want one for myself as well.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
Yes these Hobby kIng plane made of EPO and is very strong, I might want one for myself as well.

Edmond
Bit early for me to say, but it could be the ideal first post-sim trainer?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:02 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Could you tell me exactly which HK cub you are talking about? I have a blue/white one which I would not exactly call the ideal trainer...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
Could you tell me exactly which HK cub you are talking about? I have a blue/white one which I would not exactly call the ideal trainer...
The very same one. As I said, a bit early to say, but I reckon with d/r set to around 45% it should be very controllable, even for someone ham-fisted like me. Last time out they were set to 60%, and it was almost fine.

I'll keep you posted on progress...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy20 View Post
The very same one. As I said, a bit early to say ..I'll keep you posted on progress...
Well, mixed fortunes to report. I can confirm it's a really tough little plane - I've crashed it about 6 times and broken the wing, split the fuse, bent the nose, ripped out a strut etc., - thank goodness for hot glue. I've had it stuck up a tree, and it's even come nose-down in a stream and survived! But I've had some really decent flights, and landings too. The crashes were mostly down my own stupidity really, but I've got a hilarious early boink video, which I'm going to send in to 'You've been framed'.

First basic problem was (and I was warned about it) is that it's basically under-powered and too heavy for a trainer. The solution was to beef up the power with a new motor, and do some drastic weight-shedding as well. I swapped the over-sized ESC for lighter Turnigy, swapped the 450 mAh lipo for 260mAh, and discarded the U/C and battery holder-box altogether. Marvelous what you can do with double-sided tape. I also stripped down the Orange Rx out of it's box.

Motor-wise, I got tired of having to strip down the motor to straighten out bent motor shafts, and went for a more powerful Turnigy 2204-T14 motor with the built-in prop-saver for the APC 7x5 prop. A vast improvement.

First time out after the mods and it virtually flew out of my hand - without dropping like a death-defying stone! I actually managed to trim it up in-flight almost perfectly too. Last time I crashed was down to me not glueing the aeleron servo back properly after it came loose - during the previous wing-splitting crash. It soon broke loose again and crashed...doh

My main grumble was the hugely-oversized wing fixing screw. It was impossible to screw it home without risking breaking the fuse, you had to use so much force with the screwdriver! Sticky tape and hot glue to the rescue again.

So, it comes with bugs, but I still love this little plane...'cos I'm a stubborn masochist noob