HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Discussion
Funjet p20 or Flyfly Mirage P60?

So i've been wanting to get into turbines for a while now. I was dead set on the funjet P20 because its a very simple setup. I'm very comfortable with the funjet as my electric goes upwards of 170+. Many have done these conversions. Easy hand launch also is a must.

I havent seen anyone put a P60 in a flyfly mirage yet. all the Flyfly mirage guys weigh in around 5-6lbs ready to fly with huge electric systems. The P60 with fuel will make the plane weigh in around the same probably 6-7lbs for a 3-5 min flight.

My question is, do you think the mirage at 7lbs with 13lbs of thrust will be hand launch able? The funjet @ 3lbs wet and ready to fly with a P20 only puts out 5lbs of thrust.

I want to do something a little different. What do you think?
kingkyle is offline Find More Posts by kingkyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:07 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,189 Posts
The first question to you is... are you in the USA? If you are... you can't get your turbine waiver with a P-20 powered jet. The minimum size is 12Lbs wet.

As far as hand launching a 7 Lb turbine... it's probably not going to work very well. Most guys will use a bungee launcher if you don't want to have landing gear.

If you are looking at a P-60... get a Boomerang Nano. That's about the smallest jet you are going to get your waiver with.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
thats only if you fly at an AMA field, what if you have access to large amounts of land?
kingkyle is offline Find More Posts by kingkyle
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:06 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkyle View Post
thats only if you fly at an AMA field, what if you have access to large amounts of land?
This has been a debate. If you are AMA... you are required to follow their rules.

If you aren't AMA, and never fly AMA fields... then do what you want, but chances are, you won't find anyone to help you if you don't follow the rules that we all do.

Last thoughts... if you try to stuff a P-60 into a foamy air-frame... it's probably just going to melt it. When you put a P-20 or Kolibri on the back of a fun jet... the heat is outside the fuse.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Jul 23, 2013, 05:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
Fly fly Mirage + P20

The P60 is way to big for the fly fly Mirage. I have one with a P20 SE and it has more than enough power. To avoid heat problems I mounted the engine right at the back - in normal operation there is no issue with heat. However there is an issue with fuel dissolving the foam when left for a monthy or two. I recommend coating the airframe (inside and out) with epoxy or water based resin. Also do not let fuel collect in any nooks and crannies.

Incidentally I thought that the t/w limit was waived if you fit an airspeed sensor to limit thrust at high speed.
richardC is offline Find More Posts by richardC