SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
I crashed my airfield trainer and it used the old model wings where can i buy those
MeyerMan is offline Find More Posts by MeyerMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immelguy View Post
Too much right thrust can be the cause of too much right thrust ...
I actually shoved another shim in and just ran back up to the field before it got dark. It flew straight but climbed like the devil at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. The CG is the same so I'll set more down thrust. Perfect landing though!
Jasmine you would have been proud!
ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Last edited by ovrclkd; Mar 14, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
There ya go! Good job. A few washers behind the mount, in correct places, can cure many evils. Good on ya mate!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immelguy View Post
Couple of off topic questions for Jas , (sorry ovrclkd) but what truck is that and is it possible to use our Tx's to control a buggy ...... properly?

I'm thinking my Tx will be better for my worn out, carpal tunnel, arthritic wrists ... and no wrist jokes.
Traxxas Stampede VXL 4x4 - there's a few versions of it, and apparently the 4x4 is a lot more durable. It comes with a radio but it's not a really good one, although it does support 20 models. I bought a Spek radio and I'm really happy with it after using it yesterday - the telemetry is really handy, and I'll be mounting the speed sensor whenever I get around to it, so I can have some idea of how fast it really is. I would estimate 45mph on the stock battery or the 2-cell Lipo upgrade. The Lipo gives it a lot more punch and more running time, but not much faster top speed. I added the lights myself - will try to lower the body a bit too.

Yes, you can use an airplane radio with cars - all you have to do is use an airplane receiver. That's what I did with my Losi for a while - I just put both controls on the right stick. They have reverse, so you need the throttle on a centering stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrclkd View Post
I actually shoved another shim in and just ran back up to the field before it got dark. It flew straight but climbed like the devil at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. The CG is the same so I'll set get more down thrust. Perfect landing though!
Jasmine you would have been proud!
NICE! I finally got to fly my Addiction-X yesterday and other than a wonky prop adapter, it's a really amazing plane. I think the makers of the airplane bribed the laws of physics because it flies in impossible ways
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:55 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeyerMan View Post
I crashed my airfield trainer and it used the old model wings where can i buy those
Probably you could repair it up, could you post a picture of its wings here ?
Sorry for going off topic, Jay

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yeah I keep thinking I want to make a landing video, but I'm not really sure the best way to show the technique. It is certainly one of the things people could learn better from the start. I know a lot of 'good' pilots who are horrible at landings.
I'd sure like to fall into the minority group sometime soon, I look forward to that video when you can make the time.

BTW thanks for the Traxxis info, busy right now prepping planes for flying weather but this is on the back burner for future fun.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:30 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Probably you could repair it up, could you post a picture of its wings here ?
Sorry for going off topic, Jay

Chen
No problem .... this is the help everyone thread!

The new E-Starter kit came today and I glued the fuse together. I will probably throw servos in for the elevator and rudder and keep it aside if the old one flies well on Saturday (weather permitting of course ! ) If it doesn't I'll use my original wing assembly with the servos in it and the new fuselage. No paint this time, maybe a few decals.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Jay,

Oh you bought a new E-Starter ! Good to know you are really addicted in this hobby.
Also very nice to know you made perfect landing, you were one of few who flew solo successfully in such a short time, and you made your maiden without any instructor standing by your side.

Chen
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jay,

Oh you bought a new E-Starter ! Good to know you are really addicted in this hobby.
Also very nice to know you made perfect landing, you were one of few who flew solo successfully in such a short time, and you made your maiden without any instructor standing by your side.

Chen
No... you guys were with me in Spirit! In all honesty an instructor is someone I still need and have not ruled out! My landings are getting better but I really need a lot of practice. Time and weather have not been on my side but I'll be patient.

I know what happens when I'm not!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Ha that's a part of addiction in this hobby, Jay
When I was an " experienced beginner " I practiced to land on a "virtual runway", 3 feet above the field, then throttled up to climb up and flew landing patterns, I did this 3 times at least each flight. It was a .20 glow engine trainer with a 4 oz tank, so I had about 10 minutes flight time each tank. You might have more times with your power set up, you'll experience how winds affect your landings. Better to check the voltage on each cell right after landing, and also better to have 3.80V or more left on each cell.

Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
You might have more times with your power set up, you'll experience how winds affect your landings. Better to check the voltage on each cell right after landing, and also better to have 3.80V or more left on each cell.

Chen
Oh oh ... checking battery voltage on the field .... what am I buying next?

I just fly till the engine starts slowing down ..... kidding.
I usually set the timer on the DX7 ... or crash

Weekend looks good Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Hope the fields aren't filled with bratz playing ball. (joking of course, I don't want to upset any soccer Mom's ) Besides I love kids ... especially my Grandchildren!
Nothing like 'em .. they love to see you and at the end of the visit you get to give them back.

Just put my boat in today ... maybe I'll get floats for the E-Starter and fly from the bay. I wonder how that motor will stand up to salt water ...
Have you flown one with floats? I would be interested to know how they affect the handling.

I've really got the bug ... all I watch driving anymore are trees and flags.
If I can get half as good as I am getting on the sim I will be very happy!
BTW .. I hooked my PC up to the 40" Sharp in the bedroom ... I am now flying in style.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Ha Jay, What a dream to fly on a 40" Sharp in bedroom ! Great !

You might need an advanced digital multi-meter to check the voltage on the balance plug, or a simple one instead, http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ers/Categories Using the simple one is much easier when you are at field, I guess. But, sorry for introducing more stuffs .....

I'm sure you could find out the GWS float set from the same site. And I'd believe that you know how to apply "silicon glue" for making the floats and fuselage 100% water proof. THis thread might be helpful if you would like to add floats to your ES, and it's better to add "water rudder" to one of the floats, it'll be much helpful when trying to turn on water. The motor might get wet, you have to clean it and make it dry by your best . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527252 But I have no idea if you could find out the silicon glue at house/kitchen ware store or car accessories store. It's been widely used though.

Your power set up is good enough for flying float ES. You'd be glad to view these videos, http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...09l827l8.1l9l0

Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Ha Jay, What a dream to fly on a 40" Sharp in bedroom ! Great !

You might need an advanced digital multi-meter to check the voltage on the balance plug, or a simple one instead, http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ers/Categories Using the simple one is much easier when you are at field, I guess. But, sorry for introducing more stuffs .....

I'm sure you could find out the GWS float set from the same site. And I'd believe that you know how to apply "silicon glue" for making the floats and fuselage 100% water proof. THis thread might be helpful if you would like to add floats to your ES, and it's better to add "water rudder" to one of the floats, it'll be much helpful when trying to turn on water. The motor might get wet, you have to clean it and make it dry by your best . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527252 But I have no idea if you could find out the silicon glue at house/kitchen ware store or car accessories store. It's been widely used though.

Your power set up is good enough for flying float ES. You'd be glad to view these videos, http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...09l827l8.1l9l0

Chen
Thanks Chen ... great info! I'll look into the rudder thing.

Jay
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Flying the sim the past few nights I began using the rudder to help turn instead of just using ailerons & elevator to bank and stay level. Is this a good practice or should I just use rudder to taxi and when I fly a three channel like the Cub?

Another thing that I found neat on Phoenix is the ability to edit the Multiplex Mentor and not only scale it down to the right dimensions and weight but also to fine tune motor thrust. I think I have it pretty close to the E-Starter.

I really enjoy this hobby ... good thing I'm on a budget or I would have a house FULL of planes! I love to build things!

One more item .. a friend who used to be into RC Planes pretty heavy years ago asked if I want to buy his Piper Cub. It's Balsa & Film, gas, never flown and comes with all the goodies, starter, battery. Futaba Tx etc. He is elderly and said he'd give me everything for $500.00 claiming he's got about $1300.00 in it with all the equipment. I saw pix and it's pretty cool but I don't know if I want the hassle of a gas plane .. plus I'd hate to wreck it.
Any advice on this? I might go look at it Saturday ....
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:24 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Jay,

Rudder works much better on planes that are with dihedral, like your ES, so it's the right one to practice how to apply rudder effectively. And rudder is very useful if you'd like to fly aerobetics some day.

Your friend's Pipper Cub must be a 1/4 scale one. Why not take this great plane in such good price ? It might be hard for him to take it out and fly on a club's field, but it would not be any problem for you, I'd guess. And gas is much cheaper than glow engine fuel.

Chen