HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:04 AM
Oregon
Joined Sep 2003
133 Posts
Watt age Sukhoi-31

Looks great in Mags but have not seen one up close. Is it a foamy? Has it got a smooth covering of some sort? In other words can anyone tell me all about it before I buy one? Flight time? quality? Anything will help. Thanks
Scratch is offline Find More Posts by Scratch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:15 AM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
It's a foamy. Flight time with recommended 800ma Nihm is about 7 min. Quality of the kit is good. The weakest point of the plane is the middle of the fuselage right above the wing. It will be a good idea to reinforce that area with balsa.

This plane is small and pretty fast, and it flies well with stock motor. This plane is really fun to fly, and for the price of the kit, it's a pretty good value.
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Sep 28, 2003, 07:26 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
I've only flown mine a few times. Almost stock build, just added about 1/4" of foam to the firewall to make the recommended CG easier to attain. Flies well, but due to the small size it can get a little tricky at low speed. I think it could use a bit more power. I actually like the Crazy Max better, but maybe over time I will get used to the flying characteristics of the 31.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:02 PM
jam on it?
prescott, az
Joined Jan 2002
32 Posts
The Sukhoi...what a nice airplane! In fact it was such a nice plane I had (key word) two. Just got tired of foamies and moved on.

But the Sukhoi is a fast flyer. I had about 5-10 minute flights on the stock battery and motor. I was well pleased with its controllability and stability.

One thing I would do when I built another one is reinforce the landing gear. It is connected to the "firewall" if you want to call it that, so rough landings have the potential to break parts of the little plywood piece epoxied to the nose of the fuselage off. (Happened on my first landing, or 'landing').
kindferris is offline Find More Posts by kindferris
Old Sep 28, 2003, 09:49 PM
Oregon
Joined Sep 2003
133 Posts
Thanks to all of you for the info.
What would be the best way to increase flying time?
and does it come painted?
Would a 10 amp esc work OK, the add calls for a 15

This is a great site, lots of info here.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:07 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I used the Great Planes C-10 ESC on mine with the stock motor and battery. Never had any problems. The bad part about the SU-31 is the firewall, as kindferris mentioned. I would suggest using a thicker piece of plywood and make it larger. I traced the entire firewall end of the fuselage on a piece of 3/32nd plywood and used that after the stock firewall broke at the bottom.

After a while I just took the landing gear off all together. Once it's trimmed out, hand launches are not difficult. Landings on thick grass won't damage the prop.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:14 PM
Central Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
longer flight time

Quote:
Originally posted by Scratch
Thanks to all of you for the info.
What would be the best way to increase flying time?
and does it come painted?
Would a 10 amp esc work OK, the add calls for a 15

This is a great site, lots of info here.
LiPolys

......Bill
Monte SS is offline Find More Posts by Monte SS
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:20 PM
Oregon
Joined Sep 2003
133 Posts
I see adds for lipolys that indicate a voltage regulater is needed. Wont the BEC in the esc do this job? anybody??
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:07 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
LiPos won't really fit in the battery bay of this model. You could probably attach them with velcro. With the stock battery the CG was hard to obtain. I had to cut the battery holder and slide it forward. With LiPos you'll have to do the same thing.

If you are using a 2 cell (7.2v nominal) you can use the BEC. With 3 cells (11.1v nominal) you're starting to excede the voltage rating of the BEC. It uses a linear voltage regulator and the more voltage it has to dump to get to 5 volts the more heat is generated. If you have a high quality ESC and don't use more than three sub-micro servos, you'll probably be OK with 3 Lipos.

Two cells would be pretty marginal on this model. Three would really make it fun!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1