SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:08 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,346 Posts
Build Log
Sometimes..you forget what you have..Earl Stahl Apache 47" Fuse

I have been going through a lot of my old mags, plans(been looking for a certain set) and came across a manilla envelope under 50lb of mags. Inside I found I had tiled the Earl Stahl Apache. Inside was a note, that I had no idea what the WS/LOA was, but I sized it for a 2.5" spinner! Well..I put the tiles together to find out. 47" without the spinner.

Maybe some of you, those that been around here for a while, remember I scaled the Stahl Hurricane to approx 200%. I believe that was 40+" WS. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tahl+hurricane

That was a very enjoyable build some 7 yrs ago. Flew well and sold it to a friend in Ct. Possibly time to do another Stahl. This one big enough for the Eflite 85deg retracts. I also found the tiled Stahl Kingfisher. Have no idea that size either

Have to give this one a think through before doing any hacking with the #11 blade. But, I always loved the early Mustangs, before the Brits gave it the legendary name. I think the 3 blade prop gave it more charicture. May make it a P-51A.

So..whats the consensus? Should I hack one out?

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:16 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
Uh, that would be a gigantic YES! Would love to see you do this one Fuzz.

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,774 Posts
Heck yeah! Hack one out!
<starts the chant>
Hack,, hack,,, hack.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Absolutely!

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:45 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,346 Posts
well, that 2+. Found an old SCALE MODELER that has a big section on the Apache and P-51A. Very interesting. Still studying. I remember, I have a big silver Axi in a Gus Morfis Hellcat. Now to find the Hellcat.

Fuzz

opps..3+
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,190 Posts
Yesssss
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,506 Posts
Fuzz, I enjoy watching any thing that you build, but a '51A or Apache would be very interesting.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:13 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,014 Posts
An Allison "Mustang" would be a nice change of pace!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:38 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,667 Posts
...hack!..hack!..hack!

Hey Fuzz, your Hurri got me back into this hobby, so hack away!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:56 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,774 Posts
Now you got me thinking...
Maybe you build an enlarged one and I'll build a little one. Say 16-17" span?
I started a 20" Comet but it looked too big for the micro equipment. Never thought about the Stahl plan, it should reduce well.

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:52 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,346 Posts
Thank you for the inspiration, gents. I'll have a go at it.

Glenn, did you know of the Plan Page? http://www.theplanpage.com/esp.htm

Now, I'm really considering making this like a big "stick" thingy. Select area's will have insert planking. Recently, I have the desire, to produce builds that take me back to my roots. When things were simpler and less complicated, more fun. And of course lighter.

I recently enlarged Dave Ree's SAAB Tunnin. Still have not flown it due to conditions. But open, closed structure, has a romance to it that we seem to lose as we try to get MORE SCALE. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450593 I think I may have most of the balsa, on-hand. Just need to pick up some 1/32.

Fuzz
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:04 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,871 Posts
Way to go Fuzz!
I downloaded these plans this past weekend and was thinking about building this after the Coug.

A few weeks back I mis-ordered the wrong motor, higher KV than what I needed. So I've got a good motor on hand for a speedy prop plane in the 50-ish inch range. I've always love the P-51 but it's been done to death and coulbn't bring my self to ever build one.
The Apache is something different.

Hope you decide to do it.

...I'll be watching.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:43 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,428 Posts
I'd build along with you Fuzz but I already have one(FG fuse, Depron flying surfaces).
Looking forward to yours in aslab.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,346 Posts
Yea, I'm going to do it, Julian. A word of note, this is semi-scale. But a few tweaks here&there will make it all good. There is no full size wing plan. But the wing is stretched for good rubber performance. Thats the major tweak..

CoB, I remember your thread. God..get away from the pink, will ya'? You and Julian love pink stuff. Him with his pink dress(see avatar) and you with the pink airplanes and ribbons on the bombs. I think there is something wrong with youz guy's. Atleast I would wear a blue dress.

Found a bundle of med 3/16sq. So that takes care of the stringers. Now to find the Morfis Hellcat and get the motor, redraw part of the plans with a rudimentary wing layout.

Fuzz
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Go for it Fuzz! You've got the makings of a neat model there - even better, it's definitely IMAA legal, at 200% full scale

You going for rudder/ele, or including ailerons? Either would be fine. REM would suggest a real light version, full house would stand a little more weight possibly.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck