SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Not to mention that dreaded downwind turn....LOL.
Of course, nobody would ever mention that. From the description of what happened, I don't think it had anything to do with a downwind turn, a flexible fuselage, or lack of ballast. It was a simple case of letting the plane drift too far downwind, a strategic error. By the time you realize you are in trouble, the plane is too small for you to tell what kind of inputs to give it.

I'm willing to bet we have all been there and done that. No amount of ballast will save you in that situation. As a few people have mentioned, the best policy is to keep the plane upwind of your location.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
I just bought a used Rad. Pro without RX. I have an AR8000 and an AR6115e. I was thinking of installing the AR8000 but can't find a good place for the Sat. Would it work OK if mounted on top of the ESC? Or should I just use the AR6115e?

Whadda ya think?
The AR6115e would probably be OK, if you don't plan to push the Radian very far from the field. I used to fly my Easy Glider with an AR 61XX and I push them out to where they are dots in the sky. Never had a range problem.

But standard wisdom says you want to use the AR8000.

You should have room along the wall of the nose area. I would not put it on top of the ESC. While they should not interfere with each other, putting a receiver on top of a device that emits RF noise is not a good practice.

If you want you can tape it on top of the fuselage, behind the canopy. Nothing will block its view from there. I have done it.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,263 Posts
I might be able to put it on the wall but I thought it might interfere with inserting the battery, it will still be very close to the ESC. I'm using the parkflyer RX to set it up and figure out the radio settings but it looks like a really tight fit with the end pin RX. I might end up getting the stock RX to make things fit easier.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
I just bought a used Rad. Pro without RX. I have an AR8000 and an AR6115e. I was thinking of installing the AR8000 but can't find a good place for the Sat. Would it work OK if mounted on top of the ESC? Or should I just use the AR6115e?

Whadda ya think?
I have no proof but my theory is that you should avoid mounting a receiver in close proximity to the ESC. ESCs generate high energy pulses which could cause interference.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,263 Posts
Yeah sounds right. Problem with the AR8000 is that the Sat. is required for operation. IIRC the Pro comes with an AR6200? I have one on my 600 heli and even though I do have a Sat on it I believe it works without it too.

Right now I'm working on mixes. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to mixes, never had much use for them but after a bunch of reading, and never finding exactly what I'm looking for, I have manage to setup crow on the left stick and also have the throttle on the same stick and have a motor cutoff switch. I'm feeling pretty good now
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Sounds like tacking a sailboat.
yeah, pretty much. plus pointing the plane upwind doesn't run into a stall from trying to keep the ground speed low going downwind (as people tend to try) and the airspeed falling below stall speed
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
You probably know this, but going downwind in a 15 mph wind you need a ground speed of about 35 mph to have an airspeed of 20mph. Less than 20mph airspeed and the control response will begin to lessen.

Not to mention that dreaded downwind turn....LOL.
yep, I replied the same thing before I scrolled down to here
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
299 Posts
I drilled a hole just large enough for the sat cable coming from the RX area to the top of the fuse. Then I carved out a shallow groove to an area near the tail on the spine and placed the sat cable in the groove. I dremeled a hole just large enough for the sat to fit and placed it inside the hole, then covered it with white tape. Can't see it, doesn't snag, and no interference. Works great! Took about 30 minutes...
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
I drilled a hole just large enough for the sat cable coming from the RX area to the top of the fuse. Then I carved out a shallow groove to an area near the tail on the spine and placed the sat cable in the groove. I dremeled a hole just large enough for the sat to fit and placed it inside the hole, then covered it with white tape. Can't see it, doesn't snag, and no interference. Works great! Took about 30 minutes...
Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea. How do you make a clean cut/groove for the Sat lead, just a knife or a special tool?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
299 Posts
Just a utility blade...
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Stayed up tonight and repaired my wings on my RP the best I could. I'm probably not going to go too much more with it though, unless any of you have any more suggestions. I will probably put clear packing tape all down the leading edges and I might fill in the scratches with light weight spackle but that will be about it. Here is what I done so far

I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Hopefully I will have her back up in the air soon!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,020 Posts
Excellent repair job campbellj! That is as good as anyone could have done. It feels good to be able to fly this plane and know that almost anything that goes wrong can be made right.

I would suggest that you remove the spinner and closely examine it and the firewall under a bright light. Check out the place where the prop pins are, and make sure there are no cracks. When you were using your transmitter to pulse the prop while searching for the plane, it is possible that a crack may have developed in the spinner or firewall if the prop was banging against any branches. Good work.
Last edited by Jovanx; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Excellent repair job campbellj! That is as good as anyone could have done. It feels good to be able to fly this plane and know that almost anything that goes wrong can be made right.

I would suggest that you remove the spinner and closely examine it and the firewall under a bright light. Check out the place where the prop pins are, and make sure there are no cracks. When you were using your transmitter to pulse the prop while searching for the plane, it is possible that a crack may have developed in the spinner or firewall if the prop was banging against any branches. Good work.
Thanks for reminding me about the prop spinner. The prop is still in tact but I will definitely check the spinner and firewall. After reading this I remembered seeing a video of a spinner breaking and taking off the whole nose with it and I definitely don't want that to happen.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,286 Posts
That repair looks great! The spinner backplate can get cracks along the pins that hold the props in. I lightly scuffed mine up and laid in some fiberglass cloth with CA glue to prevent the cracking. I'm still on my original spinner back plate after 10 months of flying and one nose in crash. The crash crushed the spinner but when I pulled the back plate off there was no damage so I just replace the spinner with a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
Thanks for reminding me about the prop spinner. The prop is still in tact but I will definitely check the spinner and firewall. After reading this I remembered seeing a video of a spinner breaking and taking off the whole nose with it and I definitely don't want that to happen.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I lightly scuffed mine up and laid in some fiberglass cloth with CA glue to prevent the cracking. I'm still on my original spinner back plate after 10 months of flying and one nose in crash.
Could you possibly post some pictures of your mod? Did you just put a ring around each prop pin, or cover the whole thing? I would like to try this.

After a year with the RP and 5 months with the Radian, I never broke a prop or a spinner. There were a few minor nose-ins along the way. Then I started to push the envelope (slope soaring over rocks and lots of hand-catches), and broke 4 of them in 2 months. It is not minor nose in events that break it, but prop strikes. All 4 were caused by my wrong decision to hit the throttle when the plane was too close to the ground.

If you hear that squealing sound, you may as well assume the spinner is broken.