Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Build Log
FunBuild 3/ de Havilland Comet- DH. 88/ Jim Young short kit & plans

DH. 88 Comet Air Racer

Jim Young design/ T& J models short kit

Have been wanting to build this short kit and get involved with a Fun Build, so when the theme was announced to be "Golden Age", it was time to pull the trigger. This period is by far my favorite era of airplane design. Had I found a Wedell Wiliams (reasonably priced) plan or kit not requiring conversion, I may have chosen to do a Gilmore Lion. I considered Pat Tritle's Miss Los Angeles, Adrian Britton's Percival Mew Gull, a Chilton, Sparrowhawk, or a Miles Speed 6. So many gorgeous civilian and air racers from this time period. Also pondered a Heston Phoenix or a Hawker Hind both needing simple conversion from free flight kits. Lots of Golden Age beauties to pick from, but nearly impossible to make a bad choice!

But I've had the Comet short kit for some time and it needs to fly.
Getting in early so I can plan steady, but sure progress.*

cheers,
'beat

*(read s l o w)

All participants in FunBuild 3 listed here
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Last edited by wingbeat; Oct 24, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:04 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
beat'

Thanks for joining in with this great subject . Looking forward to your build . I've followed along on a lot of Jims threads and look to be great designs ( hope to add his Waco to my "collection" soon )

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:50 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,525 Posts
Jim's DH-88 model looks really nice. I recently aquired an EAM ARF D-88, the Black Magic version. (The EAM decals were awful, so I had Greg Judy make new decals of his version of the markings or the Jim Young kit to the right scale for the EAM model.) Greg's vinyl work is super...here is my remarked Comet at SMALL last June.

Greg's vinyl turned my sow's ear EAM Comet into a nice looking silk purse Comet...

I repowered my Comet with brushless, before the BEST event recently...I went with BP 2212-6 outrunners, 40 amp ESCs and APC 5.5x4.5 props on a 3 cell Rhino 2350 lipo.....very nice speed and great static thrust for easy hand launching and wonderful power through 150 foot high loops.

Best of luck with your build. I enjoy flying the EAM model, but dislike the non scale features.....needs some rework, or the model needs to be replaced...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Very high cool factor! Signed on!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:20 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
That's a sweet looking Black Magic Thomas! The GH Red is popular, but love the black version. Good to hear it's a nice flyer for you.

Google up Keith Shaw's Black Magic- beautiful.

Not much to see so far... in research mode- trying to locate some nice bits for my project. And cutting forms for laminated tail outlines. Going built up vs. slab- just sexier that way.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:42 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,525 Posts
Anyone that does the Jim Young model is definitly a step up because of those beautiful Greg Judy vinyl markings. Your red one will be a head turner!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 09, 2009, 04:01 PM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jan 2009
47 Posts
Well, what a coincidece, I also have a jim young short kit, I started the fuselage about a year ago, and then was busy with things like buying a house, so haven't touched it for a while!!

But I've decided to pick up where I left off, it's just a pain getting the rest of the wood, it tends to break when strapped to the back of a honda blackbird!

So, i'm back to the building board, and also trying to fly my dragonus heli inverted without crashing!

I will try and post some pics when I've made some more progress!
crazy train is offline Find More Posts by crazy train
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:43 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy train View Post
Well, what a coincidece, I also have a jim young short kit, I started the fuselage about a year ago, and then was busy with things like buying a house, so haven't touched it for a while!!

But I've decided to pick up where I left off, it's just a pain getting the rest of the wood, it tends to break when strapped to the back of a honda blackbird!

So, i'm back to the building board, and also trying to fly my dragonus heli inverted without crashing!

I will try and post some pics when I've made some more progress!
Crazy train- (nice moniker)- why not join the Fun Build? There's no law against more than one of the same kit in the contest! Just start a new thread and notify jofrost of your entry.

cheers,
'beat

All participants in FunBuild 3 listed here.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 11:56 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,802 Posts
Any progress to report?

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Dec 02, 2009, 03:30 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Hey Jim-

Nope, just gathering some materials, made templates for the tail for laminated outlines- I'm doing the built up versions per your plan. And trying to clear a crowded build board.
A bit set back from some work and a nasty cold, but I hope to kick this one in gear in the next week. I do want to get moving on it- there's only plenty of time until there isn't any!

cheers.

ps- congrats on the nice coverage in MA on the Turner Special.
How's progress on the Wedell Williams?
Old Dec 04, 2009, 02:12 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Beautiful subject and I don’t know if it will be helpful or not but http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075719 may be very similar depending on the wingspan and power options you are looking into?
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:18 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,245 Posts
I've seen Thomas B's fly and it's great! I bought a black EAM partially built kit a few years back, then recovered it in red because of the sloppy glue job when I bought it. Cut out new graphics using the original EAM's as a template. I mounted speed 480s in it but will change them out to 16/15/4 Mega's for this Spring. Still need to put a bit of washout on the wingtips to minimize tip stalls.

I saw this one at Oshkosh this past summer:
Airventure 2009: de Havilland DH.88 Comet Racer (3 min 35 sec)
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Last edited by SRush99; Jan 03, 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added video link
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:19 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99 View Post
I've seen Thomas B's fly and it's great! I bought a black EAM partially built kit a few years back, then recovered it in red because of the sloppy glue job when I bought it. Cut out new graphics using the original EAM's as a template. I mounted speed 480s in it but will change them out to 16/15/4 Mega's for this Spring. Still need to put a bit of washout on the wingtips to minimize tip stalls.

I saw this one at Oshkosh this past summer:
Dang- I knew it was there and I didn't get a chance to go up... I live about 2 hours from Oshkosh!

I was thinking of Megas on my 88 too. Need to get my rear movin' on this thing- holidaze, home improvement, and fighting a cold hasn't left much workshop time.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 10:40 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
withdrawing this entry- I'm absolutely swamped with both great projects as well as some new challenges, neither of which allow for any hobby time.

cheers,
'beat
Closed Thread