SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2015, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by moparherb
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
492 Posts
Phoenix, when I assign a battery to a flight, after the flight I record the amount of time, the after flight voltage and the IR. along with where the flight was. Now when I charge the battery I read the mah that the charger puts into the battery and the app tells me the percentage used on that flight. Seems pretty simple. I then also record the per cell voltage and IR. This app is how I can tell when a battery pack is getting weak. So I know how long and wher the flight was and all the critical info about my batteries. I have about 25 or 30 battery packs and there age and condition is always at my fingertips, thanks to this app. This app clearly does support mah consumed.
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by Phoinix
Joined Jan 2007
198 Posts
Correct, but. When you fly packs for RX only; what choices do you have to make multiple entries based on consumed capacity? Voltage doesn't do good here, nor does capacity going back into the pack. Basically when I turn the system on after refuelling I have no means of telling how much I have in the pack. Further more, I get the anoying message that the pack is empty.
Phoinix is offline Find More Posts by Phoinix
Old May 16, 2015, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by moparherb
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
492 Posts
I fly only electrics so I guess the info is much more valuable to me. I don't know if this app is any good to you as far as the RX pack goes. If you are flying fuel powered aircraft I think the app is designed to keep track of fuel usage not necessarily the RX. I know this app works great for electrics.
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb
Old May 16, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by RNAF
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
Phoenix, when I assign a battery to a flight, after the flight I record the amount of time, the after flight voltage and the IR. along with where the flight was. Now when I charge the battery I read the mah that the charger puts into the battery and the app tells me the percentage used on that flight. Seems pretty simple. I then also record the per cell voltage and IR. This app is how I can tell when a battery pack is getting weak. So I know how long and wher the flight was and all the critical info about my batteries. I have about 25 or 30 battery packs and there age and condition is always at my fingertips, thanks to this app. This app clearly does support mah consumed.
Exactly. I've been doing this since the beginning. It's really nice to see how same batteries perform on similar aircraft. It's gives an opportunity to compare.

For example, my 4.5kg 1.5m Vario Skyfox consumed about 11A average in low hover. my 3kg 1.45m Mikado Logo consumes about 17A average in same conditions. I guess the difference is due to belt drive / gear drive.

I don't really measure anything else than pack voltage post-flight and post-charging and total mA charged.

Anyway, this app does a jolly good job
RNAF is online now Find More Posts by RNAF
Old May 16, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by RNAF
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoinix View Post
Correct, but. When you fly packs for RX only; what choices do you have to make multiple entries based on consumed capacity? Voltage doesn't do good here, nor does capacity going back into the pack. Basically when I turn the system on after refuelling I have no means of telling how much I have in the pack. Further more, I get the anoying message that the pack is empty.
Doesn't really matter, you can measure voltage after the flight and enter it into the app. It will show a partial discharge. That it warns you that the battery has been used is very useful. No matter how careful you are, there have been quite a few people who plugged a near-dead battery in and started flying.

In my opinion, you shouldn't start a flight when cell voltage is less than 3.8. Furthermore, experience will show you much the voltage drops after, let's say, a 15 minute flight.

I have a separate receiver battery for my big helicopters. That's how I do it.
RNAF is online now Find More Posts by RNAF