Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, 2015, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by granada don
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,092 Posts
Well as i'am waiting for the 3/16" fuse plywood to get made , i'am making the flying hardware for my primary glider

First up is the control stick and a 7" long U channel that will have two arms at the rear to work the ailerons

Next the tow rope lever and release thingy

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,900 Posts
Well guys, I see Wayne's after my own heart! big birds need some gold on 'em! Here's my Sailaire canopy,may need to go through your system Wayne! I f I had my wit's workin' I could've probably finished it this winter! The wife's cat drug this oversize mousr home, have some neighbors that knew about wild wabbits, so their lil' kid took care of it ( cat brung home 2, (alive- 2 not so much- and only one survived the night in the cat cage- it was funny how she ran when she saw the carrier!
I agree with everyone here!
Darth super builder needs to be in the super builder bricklayers club! so in between figuring out howto find legitamate work,I have the completed laser file for the Egret wing ( for A.M. Beck), the tail for both Egret and Kite, and now going to the Kite wing file. of course, I had to do some other 'mental break' which came up with this other one. deciding the scale, as now, it will be 3D printed- maybe I can make a couple bucks there! G Don! Looking pretty 'nifty' don't that just age us proper?! expect a pnone ring in next few days!
the unemployed troll!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,732 Posts
Hi Johnny, nice looking canopy you have there. You wouldn't mind if I borrowed it for the next 20 years would you? I might have a lead on a Sailaire canopy, I sent a PM to a guy who reached out to me stating he had an extra one. I hope to hear back from him soon.

Well the covering continues and I can say that the majority of the main wing is covered. Now a lot of the fancy new wings out there are very strong even when they are uncovered. Not so with the Sailaire wing. There is little to nothing built into the wing outer panels which prevents wing twist. On a Sailaire wing the covering does this and boy did it make an enormous difference once I got the wing closed up and the covering tightened up. Night and Day difference. As of now they are nice and even on both washout and wingtip height but we will see how they look in a few days. Covering can stretch and sometimes a little retightening is required to keep things right. Given how much the covering adds to the overall wing strength, the last thing I want is loose covering.

I still need to work on the gold trim and some pin stripes. Then it's on to the tail and maybe, if the weather cooperates, a coat of primer on the fuselage.Still a ways to go but it is getting closer to flight status every day. The new servos arrived today also so I am good to go with all the electronics.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by schrederman
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,973 Posts
Looking good!!!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,226 Posts
Looking good Wayne.
rabidrue1 is online now Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,732 Posts
Tonight I got one of the wings close to finished. Still need to decide what to do on the spoiler. Gold to match the stripe or something contrasting, decisions, decisions. I looks like the weather might cooperate next week and allow me to get a little primer onto the fuselage. It will be nice to start getting that smoothed out and ready for paint.

Enjoy the picture,

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by harborflyer
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
535 Posts
Wayne,
Gold on the spoiler should show well on approach, a lot better than the green that might blend into grass field ?

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by granada don
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,092 Posts
Wayne I really like your gold pin stripe on the white , nice touch

Maybe some candy green on the fuse to match the wing ?

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Apr 25, 2015, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,226 Posts
I like the looks as well.For the fuse you may wan't to find a small body shop and have them spray it with epoxy primer as one coat should be enough.One epoxy primer is mixed it has to be used so if they are priming a job any way they may do it on the cheap to use up the mixed primer.There are some Ford metal flake greens that would go well with the wings,grab a paint chart from the local body supply hose and have a look.Most body suppl houses can mix enamel and load it into spray cans,these tend to work better than the stuff of the dupla color rack at the parts stores.If you look around some you may find some spray cans that have a hardener vile inside that when you smack the can hard then shake it the end product is a true hardened enamel that will cure harder than a whores heart.Good stuff for sliding on grass field landings.I found the paint on you tube it's called spray max.
rabidrue1 is online now Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Last edited by rabidrue1; Apr 25, 2015 at 07:59 AM.