New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2015, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by darylhankel
Joined Feb 2015
4 Posts
Help!
Scratch build fuselage for Sky surfer 1400 mm

Hi folks..long time reader, first time poster. Call me Tank. Thinking about building a scratch fuselage for my Sky Surfer. Wings and tail pieces all in great shape, but I am tired of repairing the fuselage (crashed on maiden flight, before I knew anything about flying. Have a few hours now on a Ares Gamm 370 Pro, and feeling my oats. I did get a few flights on the Sky Surfer recently, 7 or 8, before I finally got tired of repairing the fuselage). Anyway, I am thinking of building a solid foam fuselage, by gluing 2 or 3 pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" foamboard together. Also thinking of strapping all batteries, receivers, servos to the side of the fuselage, ala Mini Bipe. Fuselage should be 36" or so. Thinking of reinforcing with carbon rod or wood strips. Also, plan on strengthening front of fuselage with plywood glued in between the foam planks. I have no idea of the weight consequences of doing what I am thinking about. Also, considering mounting the motor on the front of fuselage, instead of pusher-style. Also, can anyone recommend a wing and or tail incidence angle.

Otay...that's alots. Looking for comments, folks. All are appreciated. Thanks! Tank.
darylhankel is offline Find More Posts by darylhankel
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,543 Posts
You're saying you want yo build to survive crashes? You'll end up with a heavy airplane. Heavy don't fly well. Heavy hits the dirt harder ( momentum). Heavy is slower to respond.
Its better to build to fly, not survive.

Otherwise, build with EPP and carbon fiber rods. Don't over do it though. Good luck.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 17, 2015, 08:07 PM
Joined Feb 2015
4 Posts
Thanx Rusty. I was beginning to think no one was out there. Yes, I don't want to build a tank, but I do want it to be durable. So I am trying to stay light...just want some strength too. I picked up some pink 1/2" foam board today. Will probably try to go with two ply, and put the carbon rod in between.
Old May 18, 2015, 03:26 AM
Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,543 Posts
Whats a Sky Surfer? Is this the surf board flyer with a dude on top?
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 18, 2015, 07:05 AM
Find More Posts by Ponappa
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Dec 2012
58 Posts
Hi Rusty

Here's a forum for the Skysurfer AKA Bixler

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231310
Ponappa is offline Find More Posts by Ponappa
Old May 18, 2015, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,504 Posts
I assume it is the hk bixler pusher plane. I think i would go with motor in nose as well and lose the goofy motor pod camel hump. However, that will radically change balance, so you will have to move stuff around to get your cg back around 25% of wing chord. I would do a simple box section fuse using the side view and plan view for the templates. You can trace around the fuse to get shape and clean up the lines with drawing tools. Fanfold (or MPF!) would be best, but you can double up layers of dollar tree foam to make sides strong. The box section being open will allow placement of lipo, rx, servos to get cg right.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
Old May 20, 2015, 06:08 PM
Joined Feb 2015
4 Posts
Hi folks..thanx for all the advice. Fuselage body nearing completion. Went with 1/2' (pink) foamboard. Kinda traced the old stock fuselage. Cut out two pieces of foam. Put 2 small 1/16" x 20" carbon fiber spars in the tail boom. Also, sandwiched a 1/16" piece of plywood with the two foam pieces. Glue job drying as we speak. I was very concerned with weight, but the project so far seems to be in line with what the old fuselage weighed (about 5.1 oz.) Going to mount the motor in the front. Esc, and radio will be mounted on the side. as will the battery. Plan to use the placement of the battery to get the cg right. Pictures to come soon. Comments still welcome.