Find More Posts by TarikAgcayazi
OhItsTarik
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Build Log
mUAV and larger brother UAV build thread

Hey! Finally got around to making this.

So the objective of this is to make two endurance flying UAV's to use for surveillance.

I just got around to finishing the mUAV. Here are some specs:

Estimated top speed is around 30 mph
Estimated cruise speed is around 15-20 mph.
1450 kV motor, 8x6 prop, 1300 mAh battery, 20 A esc.
690MM wing span
13-15 minute flight time (kept track of time through tx)
Currently very unstable without stabilization system.

This aircraft is.. I want to say not quite what i want. What i need is something that i can pull back on the throttle and just stay in the air. This thing needs speed to keep on going, and does not like to slow down at all. I havent used brakes on my esc yet (current one doesnt support it - too lazy to swap out, will swap soon though) but if i did i'm sure it could glide a little better. It honestly feels like a park flyer. Very agile, and quick.

Needless to say, 15 minutes on a 1300 mAh pack is pretty successful. I will keep it. I think that the larger version is what will really need to slow down. Since it will probably weigh more, the momentum will help with gliding a little better. Estimated wingspan of the larger one is around 1500 mm.

Video:
mUAV flight with no FC (2 min 3 sec)

the smaller one will use a Naze32. The larger, probably an APM, or an HK mega. Mission planner on a computer or a tablet with windows. Probably a tablet that i can fit on to a smaller briefcase that i could use as a ground station.

Pictures

Name: photo 1 (1).jpg
Views: 6
Size: 586.2 KB
Description:
Name: photo 2 (2).jpg
Views: 7
Size: 597.2 KB
Description:
TarikAgcayazi is offline Find More Posts by TarikAgcayazi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2015, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon
Joined Mar 2015
44 Posts
I'm not following if you are asking for a question, or just showing off a build?

Please don't take this as an insult because I really don't mean it that way, but 15 minutes is far from being an endurance specific UAV. Are you looking for some tips on long flights? I think that you would need to start from scratch with your hardware.
MarioSpeedwagon is offline Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon
Old May 13, 2015, 08:04 PM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Anything to increase flight time.

And thanks for letting me know! I thought i accomplished something, haha. It's good to know that, because if i was satisfied with 15 minutes i couldnt have gone on to making a new plane.

anyways, i have a new design that i havent put up yet. It uses considerably less power than what this required. I can give this around 40% to keep it going straight without losing altitude (other required 60-70%. Probably because the airfoil was so thick.) - so there are still things to work on. First off the bat i think i need a lower kV motor, and a bigger prop. This build was intended for me to show off my work along the way, but right now, it's to just garner help along the way. The wingspan of the newer model is 760mm, and i am not planning on passing that. I could clean up the aerodynamics maybe a bit, but i'm worried more on the electronics right now. I need to keep it light - i have a 750 kv motor but that's twice the weight of what i used to have, and more weight will require more lift, which sometimes means more speed (drag induced lift was the term i believe. I might be wrong) to keep it in the air.

Do you know of any power systems i should look into? Definitely maybe a lower watt motor - it's pulling around 15 amps right now and that's huge. I'm planning on staying on 1300 mAh batteries, 1500 if i'm pushing it.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2015
44 Posts
Have you looked into using a 4s power system?

And I think you have accomplished something (which is very cool), but scratch building an endurance plane is beyond me.

I'm starting to get in the range of 40-45 minutes on my flights, but that is starting with a well balanced aircraft, and spending a lot of time tuning the TECS values on the flight controller. I'm aiming for 1hr, 15 minutes.

The biggest tips I can give you are-
balance your prop and check it often.
Religiously manage your center of gravity
Spend a lot of time learning the most efficient setup for prop/motor/battery
Old May 19, 2015, 03:38 PM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
(sorry for replying so late)

No, I havent checked into 4s power systems. I've always thought that they were for more power, instead of more flight time. Am i wrong?

I'm currently on the lookout for more efficient power setups. Not sure if i should be going for speed, or thrust..
Old May 19, 2015, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2015
44 Posts
If you want a longer flight time, speed doesn't matter, right? If you're looking for coverage, you've got to find a balance between the two.

And switching to 4s will allow you to run a lower kv motor with a bigger prop
Old May 20, 2015, 01:07 PM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Long flight time. Speed for the lift. More speed, more lift. Anyways. I'll use a 750 kV motor for the larger one. I don't need a 4s to run that motor though. I need to look around for an efficient setup, or get a thrust stand. I'll try for a 1000 kV motor and still an 8x6 prop, or maybe a 10 inch prop.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM
Joined Mar 2015
44 Posts
I fly around 30% throttle on survey missions, aiming for a ground speed of around 5 meters a second. If it takes me 25minutes to cover 200 acres at that speed before running out of battery, is that better than running at 60% throttle and covering the same area in 18 minutes?

I'd say no, but my purpose is ground ccoverage. If your purpose is time in air and nothing else, then speed isn't what you need to be focusing on. Yes, you need to maintain the minimum speed to provide enough lift for your airframe, but anything beyond that is not going to be in the best interest of efficiency.