SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Bloosee
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
3,405 Posts
I guess I give this Gyro setup a shot. I'm new to Jeti, the Cortex setup on my DX9 was a piece of cake.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by mort78
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
Hi all,
I'd appreciate any advice you might have on the following please.
I am using the DS16 with a CB200 on my new AD Scorpion. I'm in the process of installing the various hardware etc. I also have the Demon Cortex to be installed. I am running HV servo's throughout the model, not because it requires any more power than a standard servo, it's simply to eliminate the requirement for regulators etc.

My questions are....
1. The Scorpion has 2 elevator servos, 2 Rudder servo's and obviously 2 Ailerons. The Cortex only has the 5 inputs. SO, I was thinking of either using a 'Y' lead to the rudders, but I'm a little worried about the power given through the Y lead to 2 HV servos. I realise that the HV servos will also work on lower power, the result just being less torque etc. No stress there as the rudders don't require big torque....

OR,

2. I have a spare JR HV Multibox which I could use. If I ran the system in this order, would it work?? Cortex -> Mulitbox -> Rudders. If that would work, the Multibox has a power input which would help run the servos?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Kind regards,
Mort
mort78 is offline Find More Posts by mort78
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:55 AM
Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Joined Aug 2012
1,496 Posts
For the Cortex I had a talk with Danny at DemonAero and he says they have been running high power servos thru the Cortex with no problem so far.

A nice way with the CB200 but that requires a little work in order to maintain the Shorting capability of the CB200 is described here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12166

I use it and it works very well.

On airplanes, like my Ultimate, that require a lot of servos Danny also suggested a while back to use two Cortex. As long as you have the same axis on the same Cortex this works also. Granted it gets expensive.

Most people use a matchbox in one of the Y as an other way of doing it, so the multibox would work as well. Your Cortex will get pletty of power from the other connections.

DemonAero is developing a multiconnector that will do just what you want, but I am not sure when it will come out. May be Danny could tell you more about it. It will be apparently just like a support tray for the Cortex with multiple connection available and also the shorting protection that the CB200 gives you right now.
Puttputtmaru is online now Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by cravenjw
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jul 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mort78 View Post
Hi all,
I'd appreciate any advice you might have on the following please.
I am using the DS16 with a CB200 on my new AD Scorpion. I'm in the process of installing the various hardware etc. I also have the Demon Cortex to be installed. I am running HV servo's throughout the model, not because it requires any more power than a standard servo, it's simply to eliminate the requirement for regulators etc.

My questions are....
1. The Scorpion has 2 elevator servos, 2 Rudder servo's and obviously 2 Ailerons. The Cortex only has the 5 inputs. SO, I was thinking of either using a 'Y' lead to the rudders, but I'm a little worried about the power given through the Y lead to 2 HV servos. I realise that the HV servos will also work on lower power, the result just being less torque etc. No stress there as the rudders don't require big torque....

OR,

2. I have a spare JR HV Multibox which I could use. If I ran the system in this order, would it work?? Cortex -> Mulitbox -> Rudders. If that would work, the Multibox has a power input which would help run the servos?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Kind regards,
Mort
HV or LV servo doesn't matter. Really comes down to what torque and current the servo draw. But I have run 5 x 450oz.in HV servos in a 3D plane that getting lots of exercise. Jeti telem with show short peaks (less than 1s) of 15-16A, with norminal flight draw of 3-4A. No issues.
On large 7-8 servo 3D gassers, all 450oz.in, I use matchbox, or intelimatch balancers. But to make any dif, you have to by pass the power over the cortex, only take the signal thru the gyro.
If you have 6 servos in the <350oz.in, y harness is probably fine if you can mechanically/trim balance them.
But you should remember, all your power goes in only 2-3 cortex inputs. Those channels on the CB200 see double load. And your short circuit protection on individual servos goes out the window.

You can put a third power only wire into cortex, using the USB programming port.
See this post, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1665
But make sure the signal wire is removed!!!
cravenjw is offline Find More Posts by cravenjw
Last edited by cravenjw; Mar 12, 2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by ferincr
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,519 Posts
Wow!!!
I just bumped into this thread and it looks amazing!!!
Unfortunately I just managed to quickly scan it due to eagerness to get to the end but I'll re-read it since I already have a Mspeed sensor installed in my Bigfoot with the cortex but I never thought of integrating them together.
I'm still just scratching the surface of the radio...
Thanks cravenjw, I'll experiment with these settings in the next few days...
Fernando
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:11 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jul 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferincr View Post
Wow!!!
I just bumped into this thread and it looks amazing!!!
Unfortunately I just managed to quickly scan it due to eagerness to get to the end but I'll re-read it since I already have a Mspeed sensor installed in my Bigfoot with the cortex but I never thought of integrating them together.
I'm still just scratching the surface of the radio...
Thanks cravenjw, I'll experiment with these settings in the next few days...
Fernando
I have about 4 planes running on the cortex/gps combo now. I had one running on the mspeed, but it suffered a 3D warriors death due to my dumb thumbs.

GPS works great for sport and jets. For 3D plane, mpseed is better, but its a PITA to do right. I had a mspeed rigged on the wind tip of a 35% edge. I used the side force generator attachment points to attach a pair of wing tips, one of which held the pitot tube. Was a pain to install and more a pain to put wings in bags and protect the pitot.

Might get it a try again on a new 3D airframe this spring which i am building, Tube and hose installation in the uncovered wing will not be a drama like the ARF i tried previously.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:27 AM
Joined Dec 2004
1,519 Posts
The installation of the pitot wasn't very complicated in my plane and as for protection I carved a foam block that I remove when is ready to fly otherwise it satys on as the pitot is quite hard to see for those "model touchy people" so it stays on while the plane ins on the pits.
I'll post some pics soon.
Fernando
Old Mar 30, 2015, 03:21 PM
Joined Dec 2004
1,519 Posts
Well...
I think I got it all done. (I hope I didn't screwed it up) I guess I'll find out at the next take off

Anyway,,, I tried blowing air on the pitot and the gain change seem to work the one thing I noticed is that moving the knobs (8 and 7) don't seem to do much if anything, but I'm not too worried since the speed changes should do it.
what really scare the cr@p out of me is having full rates and no expo!
The only things I changed were the speed values since mine is a slower plane I used 15 and 30 m/s nad I put default as 90% instead of 99 just because (if I understood correctly) in case of sensor failure (or more likely) I forget to connect it 99% is like having cortex off (which I won't enjoy at full travels and no expo)
Fernando
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Joined Aug 2012
1,496 Posts
When the Cortex is "on" you definitely don't want to keep the expo values that you are using normally. You can still use expo if you want this is all in the feel that you like to have.

It won't affect the way the Cortex performs per say. With the Cortex, it will just feel not as alive at center stick deflection. If you are scared to try it without expo just reduce it to about two third of what you use normally and go from there. So if you had a 60% value go for about 20 to 25%.

Plenty moe info there if you like:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post31203533
Puttputtmaru is online now Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Old Mar 30, 2015, 05:08 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jul 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferincr View Post
Well...
I think I got it all done. (I hope I didn't screwed it up) I guess I'll find out at the next take off

Anyway,,, I tried blowing air on the pitot and the gain change seem to work the one thing I noticed is that moving the knobs (8 and 7) don't seem to do much if anything, but I'm not too worried since the speed changes should do it.
what really scare the cr@p out of me is having full rates and no expo!
The only things I changed were the speed values since mine is a slower plane I used 15 and 30 m/s nad I put default as 90% instead of 99 just because (if I understood correctly) in case of sensor failure (or more likely) I forget to connect it 99% is like having cortex off (which I won't enjoy at full travels and no expo)
Fernando
I agree with putput, start with 25% expo, if you'd normally have 60-75 for high rates. Back it off when you get the feel for it.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2004
1,519 Posts
Thanks guys!!!!
I just did that.
I dialed 20% in mid rates and 25% in full rates