New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2015, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by tc1971at
United States, TX, Forney
Joined Jan 2007
325 Posts
Thanks Garry!
Any particular "cleaning process" before applying the poly that you use to get better adhesion to the surface without damaging the existing paint etc...?

I've been "on the fence" about going to the extra effort on the foam BNF planes...
They're pretty much my (throw-n-go / fly 'til expiration date) fleet ... but it seems there are too many still hanging around that I didn't necessarily expect and I now wish I'd done some preventive work on a few as they just don't hold up their original appearance after a year or three
And since the Scimitar is a little harder to replace these days...it might get some extra consideration

I tend to get too OCD about stuff when I do any paint work and spent years building from kits and covering with Monokote / Ultracote etc... so the cost/benefit of trying to preserve the foamies "seemed" questionable to some degree. I actually took a HobbyZone SuperCub and completely covered it in EconoKote along with a number of other "mods" etc... but level of effort starts to get back into just kit-building something that has the potential to look good for quite a few years as well.

Always trying new things I'll at least put a "shine" on the NIB plane if it makes it's way out of the box one of these days. The other 2 that I picked up "used" already have a few minor blemishes and I'll see how they fly before spending more time on those...

Thanks again,
TC
tc1971at is offline Find More Posts by tc1971at
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by randynsaudi
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
860 Posts
just wiped down the airframe with window cleaner and masked off the canopy and sprayed 2 coats of Krylon Clear..
randynsaudi is offline Find More Posts by randynsaudi
Old Apr 07, 2015, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by tc1971at
United States, TX, Forney
Joined Jan 2007
325 Posts
Thanks Randy!
Which version of the Krylon do you use (Polyurethane, Acrylic, Enamel...)?

Thanks,
TC
tc1971at is offline Find More Posts by tc1971at
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by randynsaudi
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
860 Posts
I used the Acrylic. been holding up really well.. still looks as good as the day I sprayed it. it's almost 2 years old now. and gets flown all the time
randynsaudi is offline Find More Posts by randynsaudi
Old Apr 26, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by pfly2
Joined Jan 2014
12 Posts
GarryK - Do you also use a water based product for the basic paint color, red, green or blue for example? I'm looking for a easy way to do some refinishing and touchup paint on a Parkzone Mosquito made of "Z foam".
pfly2 is offline Find More Posts by pfly2
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by garryk
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,901 Posts
The best way is with an airbrush, but I used Krylon H2O in the spray cans also. Although I haven't seen that in a while.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk