SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by maguro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
527 Posts
About that golf ball design

So I'm thinkin' they've been playing golf for quite a while now. And I wonder about when did they decide to put dimples on them. I doubt if they did wind tunnel tests or had any type of graphic simulation. What ever made them decide to dimple 'em ?
pcaffeldt is online now Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2015, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by Whiskers
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,599 Posts
The early golfers noticed that the ball went a greater distance when it had been dented all over due to repeated bashing.
So they started to make new balls already dented.
Scientists did not come up with the concept but they were able to explain the effect that had been observed by the players.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Last edited by Whiskers; May 14, 2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:52 AM
Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
527 Posts
Ha Ha, Thanks ! They were pretty observant. I wonder if they had little guys with little tap hammers peening them to put in the dimples after they figured it out
pcaffeldt is online now Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old May 14, 2015, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by SpaceDrydock-22
"Use the foam, Luke!"
Finland, Kuopio
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
SpaceDrydock-22....

In the 1930s, a German aerodynamicist shocked the racing world when he chopped off the rear end of a tear-dropped shaped racing car. He was told that it would never work. Instead, the flat rear end of his racing car proved to be more efficient. Today, most cars come with blunted rear ends. Even the hybrid cars, because they are more fuel efficient. The Boat-tail rear end creates a trapped vortex. So it does seem to work on a full scale object.

In the 1950s, Detroit couldn't understand why their station wagons were more fuel efficient than their sedans. It was the Kamm Effect which was invented by Wunibald Kamm back in the 1930s.

That was a terrific video you produced with your ribbed wing.
Interesting stories about the Kamm Effect. And thank you about your kind words of the video.
SpaceDrydock-22 is offline Find More Posts by SpaceDrydock-22
Old May 14, 2015, 03:25 AM
Find More Posts by SpaceDrydock-22
"Use the foam, Luke!"
Finland, Kuopio
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsumo View Post
SpaceDrydock-22

The test glides in the beginning of the video perfectly illustrate what I said about good balance producing a straight glide - although there is a very slight aft CG in the trim which then shows up in the powered flight section as a slightly droopy tail. This could also be due to what appears to be a zero degree angle of incidence to the main wing ... when flying it goes to a positive angle of attack to develop lift, which drops the tail a bit ...
You are just right about your observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsumo View Post
The golf ball stuff I had encountered before (used to play to 13 handicap) good links there, thank you - will study with interest. The principle extends to some interesting stuff in the animal kingdom. I will relate some detail about sharks in my next post. But now we are entering very interesting biomimetic territory ...Try these links to shed some light on what is happening with your fluted wing ... dragonflies apparently know a thing or two about flight at low Reynolds numbers ...

http://engineering.jhu.edu/fsag/wp-c..._Exp2005VA.pdf
I have these two files attached here from my archive of interesting research docs ...
dragon flies ... and humpback whales are getting in on the act as well ! ....
I am familiar of the dragonfly wing research docs and I am going to build a wing with that profile in bigger scale and test how it will work with rc plane. I think the result is a real slow flyer.

The humpback whale document is new to me, very interesting stuff. Thank you!
SpaceDrydock-22 is offline Find More Posts by SpaceDrydock-22
Old May 17, 2015, 05:01 AM
Find More Posts by yomgui
France, RA, Cormaranche-en-Bugey
Joined Feb 2011
613 Posts
I crashed my plane today because of a trouble with the video link.

So no kfm airfoil tests will be done before a long time I'm afraid...

yomgui is offline Find More Posts by yomgui
Old May 17, 2015, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,694 Posts
Are you sure it was not pilot error? That is the most common cause.

We'd probably accept it as a contributing factor at the least...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 17, 2015, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by yomgui
France, RA, Cormaranche-en-Bugey
Joined Feb 2011
613 Posts
Well, maybe I could have anticipated the video failure, but in FPV with no video there was little I could do...

The plane will fly again, but I have now to spend some time understanding the reason of the video failure
yomgui is offline Find More Posts by yomgui
Old May 17, 2015, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,694 Posts
I'm sure you will, and it it was not clear I meant that as a joke. I read it now and it reads like I was accusing you of telling a lie. I didn't use enough smilies or something!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Joined Dec 2006
1,245 Posts
Here is a paper that introduces a jet flow on two different airfoils....

ICABB 2014 : 16th International Conference on Applied Biomaterials and Biomechanics September 2014

http://www.waset.org/abstracts/10869

EFFECT OF CO-FLOW JET ON KLINE FOGLEMAN AIRFOIL
Authors:
Shibin Mohamed Jeevan J
Abstract:
An airfoil section, which is the essential part of a wing, has its primary task as a lift generator. The proper functioning of the airfoil is the prerequisite to the satisfactory performance of the lifting surface. CO-FLOW JET technique is the most efficient flow control technique researched till date to effectively delay the flow separation thereby increasing Lift, the operating AOA & the Stall margin. The CFJ (co-flow jet) utilizes tangentially injected air at the leading edge and tangentially removed air at the trailing edge to increase lift and stall margin and also decrease drag. The mass flow rates of the injection and suction are equal, so there is a zero net mass flow rate. Kline Fogleman airfoils were initially tested by NASA and were found to offer little or no advantages when compared to the conventional Airfoil and was claimed to have high drag accordingly with lift. In the present study, computational simulations were carried out to verify the performance Characteristics of the co-flow jet principle which when applied on to a Kline Fogleman Airfoil. The NACA 23015 airfoil was selected for the analysis procedure. It was initially converted into a Kline Fogleman type-2 airfoil by making a top cut or a step at 50% of its chord length. The airfoils thus drafted by CATIA software were meshed and analyzed using CFD Fluent software. Analysis was carried out with and without CFJ for both airfoils at different Angles of Attack of -5, 0, 5, 10, 15 & 20 degrees. Sea level conditions were assumed for the computations. The flow was assumed to be 36m/s (subsonic). It was observed that a considerable increase in lift was observed by the application of CFJ & also among the conventional and Kline Fogleman Airfoils the Kline Fogleman Airfoil displayed a greater increase in lift. The turbulent viscosity contours for each airfoil at different Angle of Attacks was observed. The CFJ aided in vortex trapping in case of the Kline Airfoils thereby increasing lift.
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by maguro
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
Here is a paper that introduces a jet flow on two different airfoils....

ICABB 2014 : 16th International Conference on Applied Biomaterials and Biomechanics September 2014

http://www.waset.org/abstracts/10869

EFFECT OF CO-FLOW JET ON KLINE FOGLEMAN AIRFOIL
Authors:
Shibin Mohamed Jeevan J
Abstract:
An airfoil section, which is the essential part of a wing, has its primary task as a lift generator. The proper functioning of the airfoil is the prerequisite to the satisfactory performance of the lifting surface. CO-FLOW JET technique is the most efficient flow control technique researched till date to effectively delay the flow separation thereby increasing Lift, the operating AOA & the Stall margin. The CFJ (co-flow jet) utilizes tangentially injected air at the leading edge and tangentially removed air at the trailing edge to increase lift and stall margin and also decrease drag. The mass flow rates of the injection and suction are equal, so there is a zero net mass flow rate. Kline Fogleman airfoils were initially tested by NASA and were found to offer little or no advantages when compared to the conventional Airfoil and was claimed to have high drag accordingly with lift. In the present study, computational simulations were carried out to verify the performance Characteristics of the co-flow jet principle which when applied on to a Kline Fogleman Airfoil. The NACA 23015 airfoil was selected for the analysis procedure. It was initially converted into a Kline Fogleman type-2 airfoil by making a top cut or a step at 50% of its chord length. The airfoils thus drafted by CATIA software were meshed and analyzed using CFD Fluent software. Analysis was carried out with and without CFJ for both airfoils at different Angles of Attack of -5, 0, 5, 10, 15 & 20 degrees. Sea level conditions were assumed for the computations. The flow was assumed to be 36m/s (subsonic). It was observed that a considerable increase in lift was observed by the application of CFJ & also among the conventional and Kline Fogleman Airfoils the Kline Fogleman Airfoil displayed a greater increase in lift. The turbulent viscosity contours for each airfoil at different Angle of Attacks was observed. The CFJ aided in vortex trapping in case of the Kline Airfoils thereby increasing lift.
Not bad my friend. Not bad at all.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro