New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2015, 03:52 AM
Find More Posts by Willydewoofer
Joined Dec 2014
35 Posts
Discussion
Goal

This week I had my first 4 lessons with a beginner Easy Cub. The teacher is rather enthousiastic: in 3 months I wil have my flying license. After that I go on with my second plane a Trojan T28. My goal is a Reverb. Do I need planes in between? And if yes how many and what planes? I'm just planning the future. Till now I was able to buy second hand stuff like new for an interesting price. So I wonna make a plan.
Thanks for your help.
Wil
Willydewoofer is offline Find More Posts by Willydewoofer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2013
212 Posts
Wrong section....
JAyThaRevo is offline Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,015 Posts
Hi Wil.

Sounds like you are interested in a little bit of speed, or hotlining. It's difficult to foresee when you will be ready for your Reverb. These types of planes have no self-correcting tendencies what-so-ever and simply do what you tell them to do! They also require a little extra skill for landings because the approach is usually longer/farther out than with other models and they also land faster leaving less room for pilot error.

Maybe just keep dreaming about your Reverb while you continue to fly and learn from your Easy Cub and your T-28. When you are ready for speed you will know it then.

A Reverb might not be a bad choice when you're ready to proceed after your T-28. It depends on your confidence in your flying skills at that time. It seems like, maybe as you suggested, there should be something else after your T-28 but before the Reverb, but maybe not?

Perhaps a Blizzard - a hotliner-type, but made of foam for durability and I speculate it would be a little slower in speed as well:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=reverb

You may also find this thread of interest:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=reverb

Best of luck and continue to progress with your other planes.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willydewoofer View Post
My goal is a Reverb. Do I need planes in between?
I would say yes, probably a couple more before you are really good to go on a hotliner. I build all my own models and mostly fly glow outdoors, so I can't really recommend something for you in the electric ARF world, but you need to handle something significantly faster that has full 4 channel control and requires real landing skills. Something like a fast(ish) glow .40 sized sport plane would do it, IMO. I don't know what the equivalent is in an electric ARF, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
These types of planes have no self-correcting tendencies what-so-ever and simply do what you tell them to do! They also require a little extra skill for landings because the approach is usually longer/farther out than with other models and they also land faster leaving less room for pilot error
+1 on both. I never found the lack of self-correction a big deal when learning (if you are ready for a Reverb, you are able to fly the plane without needing any stability help from the design), but landing a fast, slippery, fairly high wing loading model is not at all easy even with spoilerons.

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Apr 15, 2015, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2014
35 Posts
Thanks for your advices till now. I am just enthousiastic and impatience. I think I must let exist things. It's difficult to speculate, but any wise advice is welcome
It seems better to take an "extra" plane in between. I noticed the blizzard before.

Wil
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,936 Posts
Willydewoofer,

As mentioned above, you should definetly polish your skills on a few planes.

Here is a very capable flight stablizer you might want to consider.
It is not just about flying skills, it is about protecting your investment.
You can turn it on/off using a spare switch on your trans (not required).
Check out the video too.

Eagle Tree Systems 2D/3D Guardian:
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/inde...&product_id=50

Their thread on RCGroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644

To the nay sayers of such devises: it will not effect the learning skills in a negative way.....it can be used as a panic switch (flicked on when plane is about to crash...on high gain).
People can also fly with it in the on position the whole flight using low gain to help tame more advanced planes.
Extra knob or slider can tune in the gain.

Good luck,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by mustflynow2
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,531 Posts
Hello, inbetween foam planes might include the little rarebear or freewing moray, and that other foam racer out now is it from durafly? Efx? Depending on your tastes n wishes, a dogfighter, or as mentioned more glider type the blizzard\blaze etc. But really you might be good to go after the low wing trainer. I could the little rare bear to be very beneficial for a long time, esp with orientation n depth perception, good luck, enjoy each step as you go
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,165 Posts
Something like a similar sized and reasonably powered P51 with a not so light wing loading might prove a useful interim. Looks good as well!
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:37 PM
Joined Dec 2014
35 Posts
Thanks guys,
For me the whole proces is having fun/pleasure/hobby. I enjoy every step. I am now a member of a Flight Club with 70 members. Being with nice people is for me as important as flying. I know it's a bit emotional but that belongs to musicians. I like reading about planes, practicing on the sim, talking about it, buy things, etc. In the mean time there are now 3 people who are gonna teach me flying. I wanna go fast (with learning )
Kind regards,
Wil

buy the way, I am glad you are not telling me to buy 10 planes in between
I couldn't afford that
Last edited by Willydewoofer; Apr 16, 2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 01:55 AM
Find More Posts by Gerben
Joined Dec 2004
817 Posts
Where in the world are you located?
Gerben is online now Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:20 AM
Joined Dec 2014
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
Where in the world are you located?
Hello Herben,

I live in Holland (the Netherlands). You too?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:25 AM
Joined Dec 2014
35 Posts
I looked at all the planes you did advice.
Because I'm already 59 years old I think a small plane wil be difficult to see for me.
I end up with;

* Durafly EFX 110cm
* Multiplex Blizzard 138mm
* ST Models Blaze 156cm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 04:17 AM
Find More Posts by mustflynow2
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,531 Posts
Eyes are part of the equation for sure, but even a larger span, glider can disappear on you too at a certain angle.
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:29 AM
Find More Posts by Gerben
Joined Dec 2004
817 Posts
Hi Willy,
Nice to hear you live beautifull Holland too

This Saturday we have an F5B competition in Dalfsen (near Zwolle). Might be a nice opportunity to have a chat there, talk planes and see various type of hotliner fly, you're more than welcome.

Gerben
Gerben is online now Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Apr 16, 2015, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by jjmouris
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willydewoofer View Post
I looked at all the planes you did advice.
Because I'm already 59 years old I think a small plane wil be difficult to see for me.
I end up with;

* Durafly EFX 110cm
* Multiplex Blizzard 138mm
* ST Models Blaze 156cm
Another Dutchman here.

From my experiance, the ST Models Blaze is the same as the Hobbyking Dynamic and altho it is relatively strait forwards to fly, it does not behave like a hotliner should. The elevator responce is very mushy at speed due to the soft foam in the V-tail and so you can't really roll, then pull it through a turn as it starts to drop the nose and will not pull out of the dive very well due to the mushy elevator. It floats well but if you want to float and catch a thermal there are better planes around for that. The Multiplex Blizzard does not look much different.

The EFX Racer looks like it will handle better (have not flown one) but it is a little smaller and will not glide as well power off.

I think if you can fly the T28 and land it where you want (not where ever it ends up) then you should be fine with the Reverb. These composite planes fly very easy.

Go and visit that F5B event if you can, it will be an eye opener for sure.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris