SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by LoveWoodys
United States, WA, Longview
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
Solar chargers

Hello , I was wondering if anybody is using a solar charger to charge at your field. I now have all my planes on one transmitter. its a Aroura 9 with a 7.2 volt battery in it and the battery runs down by the end of the day. Any help? Thanks , steve.
LoveWoodys is offline Find More Posts by LoveWoodys
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,480 Posts
There's AC power at the field I fly at, and I can charge from my car elsewhere. There's no reason you couldn't use a solar panel though, they have gotten a lot cheaper. Might be simpler to just have a pair of tx batteries though.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,664 Posts
No technical reason you couldn't.

Though, looks like it's in the region of $250 for a 100w solar panel, so at high noon on a cloudless day at the equator you should be able to charge a 3s lipo at about 6-7 amps.

Most of the time you'd probably be more realistically only able to charge more like 2-3 amps on a nice day.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Mar 13, 2015, 03:27 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I've had limited experience, using a solar panel to charge a lead battery to power LEDs in my shed. I'm surprised at how inefficient it becomes when there's even the slightest hint of cloud cover. Seems to me your most practical solution would be to take two charged transmitter batteries to the field, and swap them when necessary.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by pilotpete2
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,442 Posts
Steve,
I think it's time for a new battery for your A9
You should be able to get more than a full days flying on a charge with a good battery, assuming you turn your radio off between flights.
The A9 was also designed to run with a 2S Lipo, so that's an option if you have a suitable charger for charging a Lipo, but you'll have to remove the battery from the radio to charge it.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,489 Posts
RC Accessory makes a lipo that will fit in the A9X:

http://www.rcaccessory.com/pe2600tx-2S.aspx

They are, unfortunately at the moment, out of stock...

A 2700 mah lipo will last all day long, and then some, before needing to be recharged (which can be done quicker than a nickel cell pack anyways).
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 13, 2015, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Mike_Then
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Steve,
I think it's time for a new battery for your A9
You should be able to get more than a full days flying on a charge with a good battery, assuming you turn your radio off between flights.
The A9 was also designed to run with a 2S Lipo, so that's an option if you have a suitable charger for charging a Lipo, but you'll have to remove the battery from the radio to charge it.
Pete
I was going to say the same thing... if your Tx battery is dead at the end of a day of flying, it's time for a new battery. A lot cheaper than a solar panel that will generate the amount of power required to charge a battery in short order.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CTH Grim Reaper Night Flyer
Old Mar 13, 2015, 02:00 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,442 Posts
Here's another battery that will work, but you would have to splice your original connector to work with the A9.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...mah-2s-tx.html

Interesting, that according to the rcaccessory listing, the new A9X uses a servo plug, rather than the little white battery connector that Hitec has been using for years. You know, the one some people seem to be able to plug in bassakwards and smoke the radio Why more RC radio manufacturers don't use a servo connector on their transmitter batteries beats me
Pete
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:09 PM
Hitec RCD CSR
Joined Oct 2007
21,489 Posts
Quote:
Here's another battery that will work, but you would have to splice your original connector to work with the A9.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...mah-2s-tx.html

Interesting, that according to the rcaccessory listing, the new A9X uses a servo plug, rather than the little white battery connector that Hitec has been using for years. You know, the one some people seem to be able to plug in bassakwards and smoke the radio Why more RC radio manufacturers don't use a servo connector on their transmitter batteries beats me
Pete
Infact to be more precise, it uses a Futaba J plug so it's nearly impossible to plug in backwards. Just about any 2 cell lipo battery that will fit inside of the battery compartment on the A9X with a Futaba J plug will work (of course you can use any standard servo plug as well, just make sure you plug it in correctly).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,442 Posts
If Hitec doesn't use the third pin, then nothing will happen at all until you turn the plug around. With Futaba, they have both outer pins tied together as common negative, so that with a JR style connector, it makes no difference which way you plug it in.
Pete
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:18 PM
Hitec RCD CSR
Joined Oct 2007
21,489 Posts
Quote:
If Hitec doesn't use the third pin, then nothing will happen at all until you turn the plug around. With Futaba, they have both outer pins tied together as common negative, so that with a JR style connector, it makes no difference which way you plug it in.
Pete
Actually it does matter, because one way won't power the transmitter at all
Old Apr 09, 2015, 06:55 AM
Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Joined Jan 2004
2,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
RC Accessory makes a lipo that will fit in the A9X:

http://www.rcaccessory.com/pe2600tx-2S.aspx

They are, unfortunately at the moment, out of stock...

A 2700 mah lipo will last all day long, and then some, before needing to be recharged (which can be done quicker than a nickel cell pack anyways).
These are now back in stock.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 09, 2015, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by BigBadDogg
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Dec 2014
598 Posts
Love i really dont see you getting this done with a single solar panel.. I have 10 units 4'x4' on my garage in Mi to charge 1 slab.. that runs my pump to eliminate water . and they are 300w panels and they can not keep up with my tiny pumps demands running for 30 minutes once a day.... good luck.
Id just say the cash and use ur cars battery to top off ur radios battery..
BigBadDogg is offline Find More Posts by BigBadDogg
Old Apr 09, 2015, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by The Tug
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,472 Posts
I run a RCaccessory 2600mah lipo batt in my Aurora,if I turn on the screen backlite the batt will be @7.7v (storage) 3 1/2 hrs of use,if I turn the backlite off it last a very long time and that's with continual use not turning the radio on/off.Sounds like you need a batt.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Apr 09, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDogg View Post
Love i really dont see you getting this done with a single solar panel.. I have 10 units 4'x4' on my garage in Mi to charge 1 slab.. that runs my pump to eliminate water . and they are 300w panels and they can not keep up with my tiny pumps demands running for 30 minutes once a day.... good luck.
Id just say the cash and use ur cars battery to top off ur radios battery..
There's something seriously wrong with your setup, your tiny pump is far from tiny, or more to the story if 3kw of panels can't power a tiny pump.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ