gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,307 Posts
Discussion
Trainer Two...High wing, Low wing and Biplane KF airfoil...and now a Sailboat too

Well, finally got around to making some modifications to the original Trainer One ... Much needed IMHO...
First was a longer nose to help balance with lighter lipo batteries , the old T1 was designed in the days of Nicads and Nimh ...
Second is the flat KF wing ... Easier to construct , all straight cuts... The KF @ 40% assures easy stall characteristics !!!
Third is the new Tractor mount , the old mount saved props but weakened the fuselage wing join , and not everybody likes pushers anyway ... So there you have it .... presented as a .pdf so you can enlarge it to any size you want , however we find the Bigger planes fly slower and give you more time to think ... Necessary with a beginning pilot ... Don't over power it , beginners fly only on CALM days...
Have FUN !!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Jul 07, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Diversity discovered...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by dz1sfb
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,099 Posts
Hi Glen,

It always pays to improve on a great design. I know lots of folks that have cut there teeth on the T1, and the T2 looks super easy to build.

I know you said not to overpower it, but newbs will want have some equipmenet recommendations.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:46 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,307 Posts
DZ, I was thinking about the humble 1300KV BW motor on 2 cells(lipo) with an 8X4 prop .. I ,unlike most everybody else, like the Cheapie orange props, because they break , and don't destroy the front end of the plane or bend the motor shaft ... Once a novice pilot gets over the initial crashing stage , then a more durable prop can be used ... still a prop saver is a great idea ... Doesn't everyone use them now ???
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:52 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,099 Posts
I am with you Glen. Props are alot cheaper than straightening motors or planes.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:02 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,307 Posts
Ken , I just could never get those bent shafts perfectly straight again ... tried and tried... was the reason I bought a big bag of the cheapie orange props ... and because I had so many , naturally I almost never broke one ... Still have a bunch , in that same bag ... go figure...

Guess now we'll have to go through the trimming and initial flying stages ... The plane basically flies just fine All by itself .... ONCE TRIMMED properly !!!!!! ... Once that's sorted , it's just a matter of steering it around, getting your rights and lefts down ... The elevator should only initially be used as a trim Only .... a good many problems begin with too much elevator ... On the T1 , only half the elevator was used and that worked great .. as it will work here the same way , if desired ..
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
Ken , I just could never get those bent shafts perfectly straight again ... tried and tried... was the reason I bought a big bag of the cheapie orange props ... and because I had so many , naturally I almost never broke one ... Still have a bunch , in that same bag ... go figure...

Murphy's law, corollary number 376....
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: even more indoor stuff!
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by vtdiy
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
I was wondering if the elevator was full width or half width like the T1. I'm one of those who learned to fly with the T1. Funny, GPW, I'm tempted to build this even though I've moved on now. Simple building anfdflying planes are very appealing!

I didn't mind the old T1 pusher prop through the wing. But my trainer got chewed up in the lower nose area, and turned into a hot glued and taped up ragged doggy in the end. The old skid, while protecting the bottom, didn't cover the knife edge nose.

I started training in snow, and it would always lawn dart, or more accurately, snow blade the foam sheet in, no matter how shallow the approach. Wear and tear chewed it all up after maybe 30 flights, rather than crashing. Thinking about it now, some kind of rounded ski shape nose would have been better up there.

I suppose it's a moot point now with the prop and landing gear up there now. Anyway, looks like you'll have a new crop of junior airpeople building these and learning to fly again. Good luck to you new fliers, you'll get the hang of it with this plane!

ps. Hey is that a single wheel leg/gear up front like the old FF or a double?
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:50 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,307 Posts
VT, Thanks !!! I made the elevator one piece this time to make it easier to build .. The nose doubler should help , but there's really no way to make it totally "crash proof" ... I was hoping to get into a detailed trimming process to help eliminate those early crashes/damage .. Glide testing , adjusting the plane , much like the old free flights so it would fly by itself and have the auto recovery feature the T1 had ... and as we've learned over the years , you can always cut away the damaged bits and just glue on new foam to replace it ... one reason we tried to simplify the build even more ... Trainers in the hands of beginners don't usually last long anyway , so this one is made easy to make a replacement , if needed ...
The gear can be a mono wheel or the standard two wheel , or in the case of our field (all grass) the gear can be eliminated completely so it won't snag on the grass and flip the plane ...
When I started flying many years ago , I didn't have any help and must have crashed a gazillion planes before I finally "got it"... Hopefully this will help the new guys to get the hang of it early , avoiding the expense and labor of building so many planes just to learn to fly ... That's the plan anyway ...
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,567 Posts
Nice looking TT Glen. I'll be passing this one around for sure.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by caaraa
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
81 Posts
Guess now we'll have to go through the trimming and initial flying stages
[img][/img]
caaraa is offline Find More Posts by caaraa
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:43 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,099 Posts
You know, having all the high mass components near the front also reduces the likelihood of airframe damage as well. Especially if you dork it on the nose.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by JimW
North Kent, England UK
Joined Jan 2005
304 Posts
Glen, I wish you would do a detailed trimming post, it is pretty much a hit or miss thing with me.
JimW is offline Find More Posts by JimW
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:42 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,307 Posts
Gold ,thanks .... it was about time I modernized the old T1...
CAA, Yes , that's the best way to start ...
DZ, not surprisingly , it always dorks the nose ... hahahahaha
Jim ... I'm working on it ... Want to get it all typed up and proofed before I post ...
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:49 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,307 Posts
OK, here goes ...
Basic flight trimming …
Getting an airplane to fly correctly starts with finding the proper CG … Lately , before I install the motor and the gear , I do some test gliding (empty airframe ) … using lumps of modeling clay on the nose to balance… Just some short glides into some tall grass or a fluffy sofa determines the "best glide" CG… When It glides nicely long and flat and doesn't stall or hit you in the foot , make a mark where it balances on the wing … From experience , the best "flying " CG will be slightly forward of the "best glide" CG … Maybe 1/4-1/2" … If the plane turns under glide , check for neutral control surfaces , or WARPS .
Now once it's gliding well , it's time to put the gear in and start some low power flight tests… Check your radio and motor to make everything works properly and the control surfaces move in the proper direction …
Now , on a CALM day … Put your specified prop on BACKWARDS… That keeps the power from getting out of hand on a first toss.. Start the motor , run it up to about 1/3 power, and give it a Gentle toss straight Forward at a point on the ground about 50' in front of you (Do NOT throw it UP or it will stall and dork the nose)… What you should get is a longer straight glide , the plane gradually descending to the ground… If the plane flies straight in the glide tests , but turns Left under power , you'll need to add a little right thrust to the motor to compensate … and if the plane stalls under power , you need to add a little more down thrust (or add a bit of clay on the nose to move the CG slightly forward)… Now using a chopstick for the motor mount as indicated on the T2 , it's best to glue the motor stick on with just a couple little globs of hot glue … that way you can make thrust adjustments easily and glue it Solid when it's flying correctly… Down and right thrust are Very important on any plane , especially Free Flights which "fly by themselves" …
Once the plane is adjusted for a long straight powered descent , you can try adding more power … DO NOT use the Elevator (yet) .. with more power the plane should fly level or even climb Slightly … Altitude is controlled by the Throttle , not the elevator…
Now that it's flying , you can try a gentle turn… using a TINY amount of Rudder… You'll find with a little bit of rudder , the plane will turn nicely and maintain level flight … too much rudder control and the plane will lose altitude and spiral in .. (Not Good ) … just a little is all you want … The intention is to make some big wide circles and maintain altitude… Try turning right and left … (you may notice immediately , the plane turns to the Left easier than to the right .. the motor torque is doing this and it's perfectly normal … As you gain confidence , you can add a LITTLE bit of up elevator in the turn to remain at the same altitude and make tighter turns .. Practice makes perfect … go easy at first .. Don't Bang the sticks around , move them GENTLY and just a little ...
So now we're flying … Time to change the prop around for more power … Launch it and let it climb up high … Altitude is your Friend!!!
Once up high and comfortable , face the plane into the wind …there shouldn't be any , but you must learn to be conscious of the wind , so good time to start observing this … You can even tie a little streamer on your transmitter as a wind indicator … it helps !!

Face the plane into the wind straight and level and cut the power … the plane should just transition to a smooth level glide forward .. If it doesn't , you must further adjust the downthrust … If the nose drops when the power is cut, you need more down thrust , if the nose comes up when you chop the power , then you have too much and the motor is dragging the nose down … more adjusting … Likewise , when you add power , the plane should move smoothly forward in the same way … Keep tweaking this till it's right…More fine tuning! Very important !!!

Once this is all sorted, you can fly as long as your battery holds out … Just gently steer the plane around until you feel confident to do "more"… then you have to land … !!!
We'll get to that next …

Everybody Cool with this so far ???
Last edited by gpw; Jun 06, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,123 Posts
Oh boy, here we go again.

I just saw this thread and no way could I resist. Just lurking for a sec before going to bed. Which is all I have time to do anymore these days.

I'll be reading through it tomorrow. I will say this... everytime I go down into the dungeon I pull from the rafters my original and only T1, almost 3 yrs old now, and think about what gear I have to get it back airborn. Still my heart's favorite plane.

Then ya have to go an KF it! And tractor too?! Yup, I'll be hanging for this one for sure.

ps... I am anxious to see the chopstick motor mount on a BW up close.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Jun 06, 2011 at 09:10 PM.