Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 30, 2005, 02:50 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
Yippee!
Brushless T-HAWK

Fitted the T-Hawk from ready to fly.com With a mega 16/15/5 brushless motor. also e-flight brushless esc with thunder 3s 1320 mah battery. the prop had to be drilled out to fit the shaft of the motor. The motor mounts right in without modification. This thing flies fast. I'm getting 40 min. flights and unlimited acrobatics. At less than 1/4 throttle it flies just like a stock T-HAWK. I did add packing tape strip to underside of wing and tail to help with the added forces. I recomend this upgrade to anyone who flies the T-HAWK!
adhsooner is offline Find More Posts by adhsooner
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2005, 02:55 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
mega in a thawk?

wow! thats like putting a jet engine in a go kart!!

Would be nice to see a viedo or two...

SCJohn
Spencer J is offline Find More Posts by Spencer J
Old May 30, 2005, 02:58 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
working on it

I'm working on the video, but first I have to get my wife out there to shoot it..
Old May 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
I was flying in 12 mph winds today and she flew great
Old May 30, 2005, 04:39 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
This modification has been made before, using a Mega 16/15/4 and a TP 2100 LiPo, a 3S1P if I recall correctly. A couple of videos also made of the plane. Great performance. I'll see if I can find the thread.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old May 30, 2005, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
Your welcome...

http://home.comcast.net/~john.j.halv...os/thunder.wmv

SCJohn
Spencer J is offline Find More Posts by Spencer J
Old May 30, 2005, 05:52 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
A belated thanks for the tip on this thread. I was searching for the thread which reported the video. I have both videos on file. I might........notice I am saying might......try such a modification of my T-Hawk. However, the bird is showing signs of wear, the result of 145 flights as of yesterday. I just might have to get a.........NEW ONE (T-Hawk, that is!!).

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2005, 08:07 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
Try the brushless motor and you will never let go of the HAWK
Old May 30, 2005, 08:17 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Hawk #2

My current (no pun intended) thinking is to order as complete new T-Hawk, minus the electonics. I understand you can order the plane this way. I have 72 Mhz electronics I can install. This will solve the occassional glitching I get due to a "noisey" power transformer at the edge of our flying site. Definitely would go with a brushless setup, but nothing quite as hot as a Mega 16/15/3. I have one of those in my Speedy 400 and it really hauls the plane around, on a 2S1P 2100 TP Gen II pack. The 16/15/4 or 5 may be the better choice, to keep the amps in order and still get good performance.
I have no quibble with a stock T-Hawk, other than the silly landing gear which, I understand, has recently been upgraded to something more substancial. I would still fly my T-Hawk sans landing gear. Good practice landing w/o wheels, it helps in my skills (or lack of) in landing the Speedy 400. We'll see......just add to the projects list.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2005, 08:28 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
I went with the 16/15/5 because the wings on the T-hawk will only stand so much pressure. Also very seldom do I fly at full throttle, I dont need to, 1/2 throttle is way fast.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:56 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Hawk at speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhsooner
I went with the 16/15/5 because the wings on the T-hawk will only stand so much pressure. Also very seldom do I fly at full throttle, I dont need to, 1/2 throttle is way fast.

Hmmm.......1/2 throttle. Will have to try that sometime. I always thought T-Hawks should be flown at WOT Maybe that's why I get only 8 or 9 minutes flight time, and the motor is sizzling afterwards, enough to soften the plastic of the prop, and off it goes!! Of course, those 1100 mAh NiMH's can really pump out the amps.

Tnx for the tip. I'll look closely at the specs for the /4 and /5 Mega motors and decide which way to go.

Maybe I'll ask Spencer......................he seems to know everything you need to know about T-Hawks.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2005, 06:02 PM
Central,Illinois
Joined Nov 2004
330 Posts
How much does this mod cost ?
Hobie is offline Find More Posts by Hobie
Old May 31, 2005, 06:29 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
When you add it all up (Mega motor, brushless ESC, LiPo pack) you will have more than what you paid for the original plane package. There are other B/L motors that could be used, but the Mega 16/15 series is a drop in for 380 and 400 brushed motor replacements. Mega's are good, very high performance, but $$$. A Phoenix 25 is the minimum I would use for the ESC, might jump to the Jeti equivalent to get an on/off switch and possibly 30A rating. I personally think a 1320 LiPo is a bit lean for Mega motor use, but then I haven't tried such a combination. I use a 2100 2S1P pack in my Speedy 400 which has been fitted with a Mega 16/15/3. Hold your breath, here is the estimated or approximiate costs:

Mega Motor - $85.00
Brushless ESC - $70.00
1500/2100 2S1P Lipo - $40.00

Speed doesn't come cheap. Oh, but the rush............................

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2005, 09:01 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
You are very close on he numbers. not cheap but fun. Actually the battery that is recomended is the 2100 but LHS was out of stock so I went with 1320.Now for the update. I was flying yesterday full throttle and in the middle of a loop the tail folded and of course the plane landed nose down fast real fast. Went to the plane and the only damage was a bent nose. I put the new tail on her last night with added packing tape. The tail was already weak due to a previos encounter with a tree. I should have put the new one on before I added the motor upgrade. Live and learn. I actually have 5 of these planes so parts are not a problem.
Old Jun 01, 2005, 09:23 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
The plane really will take a heck of a hit. I was able to source a 2S1P TP Gen II pack for $44.50. Bought three of them, they have become the standard pack for several of my planes.

I understand a major concern with the T-Hawk, following a hard dorking in, is the motor coming loose and flying forward. There has been some nylon-tie modifications made to better support the motor. I would certainly want to do something in this direction, having installed an expensive Mega motor. I guess I will find out later, should I elect to "upgrade" my T-Hawk further, or more than likely get a 2nd one. I orginally bought the Hawk to be a "crash & burn" special, so as to go up against one of our club teen hotshots with his T-Hawk. He has since then totally trashed his Hawk (teen's are good at this ) and gone the glow-fuel route. I remain the only T-Hawk flyer in the group.

I am thinking on justifying the Mega/BL ESC/LiPo upgrade as available spares for the Speedy 400!

RD
RCG Plus Member