HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2005, 08:57 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
Bipe flying question

Hello all, just have a quick question about flying a bipe. I have maybe 8 other planes, all brushless & lipos and just this past week put together my first biplane.....an Ultimate. I have flown it a few times and really like how it flies with one exception. I have noticed countless number of times that I will be just flying straight at a constant speed, then all of a sudden the nose will drop and the plane seems to exponentially drop/nose dive. Is this a center of gravity issue or is it possibly a biplane issue?

Thanks for the help,
Brian
buildscapeinc is offline Find More Posts by buildscapeinc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:43 AM
Joined Jun 2004
38 Posts
Never had any problem like that with mine. I would check to make sure nothing is getting hung up on the push rods? Also that balsa elevator joiner should be beefed up, check and make sure that is all tight. I would think a C.G. issue would be fairly constant depending if you were upright or inverted.
CTD101 is offline Find More Posts by CTD101
Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:50 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
261 Posts
It might also be worth checking that all of your incedences are zero.

Have you got any images of the control surfaces, elevator especially that we can look at.

The constant speed is it a low speed, mid stick, high speed or all of them.

Also on the ailerons is it one servo or two. which servos etc.

CG will come into effect more noticably at the higher speeds with what appears to be a slapping motion.

If its just a downward drop it might be that the servo can't hold the surface at speed and a flutter turns into a sudden drop.

Get some pics posted, its definately not a biplane thing it sounds like setup

Steve
stwilkie is offline Find More Posts by stwilkie
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:12 AM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Gotta agree with Wilkie here.. not a bipe issue, but most likely a setup issue. Could be incidences, or it could be an elevator with a sloppy connection. Make sure you don't have slop at the servo or elevator horn....
matchlessaero is offline Find More Posts by matchlessaero
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:51 PM
My other car...
Joined Oct 2004
727 Posts
I'm suspecting the elevator joiner. Probably too flexible. Also, flutter might have an effect like that.

noodle
noodle is offline Find More Posts by noodle