HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:19 PM
Starhound Builder
East Texas
Joined Nov 2004
116 Posts
Vectors

I have been using a program called, Algolab R2V Conversion Toolkit, which converts the scanned images of the Viper (raster images) into images that CAD programs can identify (vector images). The scans are now converted to dwg/dxf files for Autocad. This saved me hours and hours of physically tracing over the inserted drawings. If anyone out there is interested in R2V software programs, another one I tried was Scan2Cad. It's a bit more tricky to use, but overall I liked the program.

S A L V A G E 1
S A L V A G E 1 is offline Find More Posts by S A L V A G E 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:28 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
I use a program called wintopo and it is great for Raster to CAD.
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:42 PM
Starhound Builder
East Texas
Joined Nov 2004
116 Posts
wintopo

thanks, MICK. I am downloading the file as I type this, so I'll check it out.
S A L V A G E 1
Old Mar 18, 2005, 05:39 PM
Starhound Builder
East Texas
Joined Nov 2004
116 Posts
Cool Software

Mick, thanks for the info on WinTopo; this program is by far better than any other R2V software I've found, yet.

Here's a pic I'll share with everyone that I did several years ago. I may use this to do my orthographic projections to get my isometric views of the fuselage and engines.

Currently on leave from work, and also vacation, so I may try and get some stuff done on here.

S A L V A G E 1
Old Mar 22, 2005, 02:41 PM
Newbie Pilot
Manchester UK
Joined Mar 2005
10 Posts
I will also be watching this with great interest..
cavtd17 is offline Find More Posts by cavtd17
Old Jun 08, 2005, 09:04 PM
Starhound Builder
East Texas
Joined Nov 2004
116 Posts
Hoping to get back into this....

Well, I now have a place to build the Viper; I built a 12 x 14 workshop building, and am working on the finishing touches like adding work tables and placing all my models and tooling in there. I will probably want to restart this thread at a later date. Have not given up on the project, everyone. Thank you for your patience.

S A L V A G E 1
Old Jun 08, 2005, 09:33 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
MMM Starbuck!!! ( in the new BSG not the old one)
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2005, 09:49 PM
Starhound Builder
East Texas
Joined Nov 2004
116 Posts
Starbuck

Yeah, she's got a lot of sex scenes in the new eps, dang, Ron really knows how to make a trashy version of BSG. The original show was down to earth, and pretty clean, geard towards ALL age brackets; this one is only geared towards adults. Kind of like *BSG does the Cylons,* heh heh heh.

Tho, I absolutely love the ships in there, however. The new vipers actually look as if the wing and fuse are molded or blended together, like a flying wing with a canard blending from it. I'd bet if I built a ship like that, she'd manuever like a Millenium Falcon!

S A L V A G E 1
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:57 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
What's fraking happening with this project!?

I've wanted to build a viper for quite awhile but just haven't gotten around to doing it, at 1/4 scale this should be an awesome plane.

I haven't caught very many of the new BSG episodes but just happen to be watching it right now (that's why I'm searching for Viper projects!) and that chick that plays Starbuck is hot, I like that yellow girl that plays boomer too.

I wouldn't mind getting a copy of your CAD files if your sharing them, I'd be building a much smaller version though...
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Last edited by indybudd; Aug 20, 2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:11 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
I recently built one and the initial results were promising.
nstaller is offline Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:14 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
heres a couple of pics.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 05:07 PM
Starhound Builder
East Texas
Joined Nov 2004
116 Posts
cool model

Is that a lawn dart? I don't see any engines, how well does she fly. Are you going to make it r/c, or is this a rocket? Great model concept. What do you mean by saying the initial results were promising? And what materials did you use to build your ship? It looks like paper and styrene sheets/balsa, perhaps?
GOOD JOB!!!

S A L V A G E 1
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:36 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Thanks, as a kid my cousin and I used to build paper Viper gliders they usually flew pretty good but when I built this it flew(glided)right out of my hand as straight and level as you would want it to.
I used FFF to build it and set it up in a tractor(puller)configuration.I had some weight issues that caused the one seen here to become a lawn dart,but the good news is that I know it can fly and I will be building another very,very soon.
I have some rough sketches drawn up and I plan on scaling it up about 300% that should give me the wing area I need.Plans are for a pusher with outrunner motor but 3 edf's may wind up in there instead.
What would a Viper be without a Cylon Raider??I've got plans for that one too.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:40 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybudd
What's fraking happening with this project!?

I've wanted to build a viper for quite awhile but just haven't gotten around to doing it, at 1/4 scale this should be an awesome plane.

I haven't caught very many of the new BSG episodes but just happen to be watching it right now (that's why I'm searching for Viper projects!) and that chick that plays Starbuck is hot, I like that yellow girl that plays boomer too.

I wouldn't mind getting a copy of your CAD files if your sharing them, I'd be building a much smaller version though...
Sorry no plans yet. I just started cutting and gluing when I built it.I am however designing the next one in CAD so when I am done I will post what I have.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:17 PM
Starhound Builder
East Texas
Joined Nov 2004
116 Posts
fff

Nstaller?? what, is FFF some kind of foam??

INDYBUD>>>>If you want plans, all my stuff is done in AutoCAD. Send me a private email and I'll be more than happy to send you what I've got. I'm nowhere finished, since $h!^ has hit the fan over here so I've got other things that are taking precedence, but you are welcome to whatever I've got done so far.

(I started this thread for anyone interested in building "as close to scale" Colonial Vipers (or even Cylon Raiders) as a radio controlled aircraft under power. I am open to any feedback and/or suggestions. Some of this stuff may be rockets, so please don't get offended if I have it in the wrong spot. I just placed it in here so you get some ideas for an r/c version, which was my intent from the start. Sorry for all the kaos! I really want to see everyone's progress, as this was not just for my own research and development (show and tell), but for everyone's progress as well.

I don't have a lot of AutoCAD stuff, but you're all welcome to whatever I have. Just email me, and I'll have to hunt down the discs I saved the stuff on. Thanks! ~Salvage1!!

S A L V A G E 1
Last edited by S A L V A G E 1; Nov 13, 2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: I want to clarify this post a little clearer