HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2014, 09:38 AM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined May 2009
43 Posts
I did 3 flights. I tested the flaps and the mix right on the first one. The manual suggests 4mm elevator down on half and 8mm on full flaps. I increased to about 5mm and 10mm after the first flight because the plane was still liftig its nose setting flaps. Especially when throttleing up.
Miles away is offline Find More Posts by Miles away
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2014, 11:38 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,482 Posts
Video from SEFF...

Hey gang,

Here's a short video I shot while at SEFF in Americus, Georgia, a few weeks back.

I don't own one of these....storage space and cost prevent it.....but man, oh man, I'd have one in a minute if I could !

What an absolutely stunning model in the air....hope you enjoy the video !
Hangar 9 DHC 2 Beaver at SEFF 2014 (5 min 52 sec)

Break out the popcorn, it's movie time !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2014, 03:59 PM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
Hello everyone, my apologies for jumping into this so late in the game but I just joined the group. I have a beaver on backorder from HH and am struggling with my engine choice. I am curious to know how Marksp feels about his decision to go with the Saito 33 radial as opposed to the original vvrc 40? Those are my top two choices. Also I dont seem to find anywhere the Saito fg33 exhaust ring. Thanks for any input. Dave S.
davesalmon is offline Find More Posts by davesalmon
Old May 04, 2014, 04:10 PM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,008 Posts
I'm extremely pleased with the 40 on my Super Cub

Though the 33GX is doing ok on the Beaver
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old May 04, 2014, 04:28 PM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am looking for the magazine that has your article on the beaver build, anxious to read it. This will be my first gasser
davesalmon is offline Find More Posts by davesalmon
Old May 04, 2014, 05:17 PM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
679 Posts
Hey Guys,

thanks for all the great input in this thread. Maidened the Beaver today and it is a brilliant Model in the air. The 33GX is still running extremely rich, maybe a bit too little, and it has more than enough power for the plane even with the small break in prop and the rich setting. Nice big loops from level flight are not a problem.

Seeing I usually fly warbirds the ground performance with the Beaver trying to break out on the start up run is not that much of a problem, its what you would expect from a taily so no need to be afraid.

Cant wait for next weekend to do some extensive flying with the proper prop, a correctly set engine and maybe the gopro on board
Reverend is offline Find More Posts by Reverend
Old May 04, 2014, 05:24 PM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
679 Posts
Engines is very rich but you can get an Idea of how well the plane flies. You can also spot the odd light flashing on the plane.

Beaver Maiden Flight (2 min 4 sec)
Old May 04, 2014, 06:37 PM
happy landings
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesalmon View Post
Hello everyone, my apologies for jumping into this so late in the game but I just joined the group. I have a beaver on backorder from HH and am struggling with my engine choice. I am curious to know how Marksp feels about his decision to go with the Saito 33 radial as opposed to the original vvrc 40? Those are my top two choices. Also I dont seem to find anywhere the Saito fg33 exhaust ring. Thanks for any input. Dave S.
Saito has not yet been installed, but is now run in and ready for installation. Given the FG-33R3's marginal thrust (18x6 max) and crazy expensive price, the VVRC 40 wins the power/$ contest hands down. In fact, another VVRC 40 may be in my future, in the Beaver, Super Cub, or both.

The Saito exhaust ring is still not on the market, although I did hear that Horizon is planning to offer it when available. I ordered the Keleo ring and am waiting for it to be delivered. (7 to 9 week lead time)

Sort of hoping the FG-33R3 has enough power combined with intoxicating sound to make it worthwhile.

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Last edited by marksp; May 05, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 04, 2014, 09:29 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
454 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden Reverend...what a great field you have there..very nice.

Very rainy weather here lately so I haven't flown since maiden weekend, good weather is just around the corner though. All this bad weather gave me a chance to get around to fixing my Hyperion display. If anyone is in need of a screen replacement I made an interesting discovery for a replacement source.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old May 04, 2014, 10:34 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
Hey Guys,

thanks for all the great input in this thread. Maidened the Beaver today and it is a brilliant Model in the air. The 33GX is still running extremely rich, maybe a bit too little, and it has more than enough power for the plane even with the small break in prop and the rich setting. Nice big loops from level flight are not a problem.

Seeing I usually fly warbirds the ground performance with the Beaver trying to break out on the start up run is not that much of a problem, its what you would expect from a taily so no need to be afraid.

Cant wait for next weekend to do some extensive flying with the proper prop, a correctly set engine and maybe the gopro on board
That is a great pic. I'm going to use it on my wallpaper if you don't mind.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 04, 2014, 10:38 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
Engines is very rich but you can get an Idea of how well the plane flies. You can also spot the odd light flashing on the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1EoDWfw0ao
Nice flight Reverend. I'd love for that kind of scenery by me. Great job filming this video too. You have a gutsy friend to stand so close on take off. LOL.

BTW, what happened to your vortex generators? Did you give up on the 3d printing?
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 05, 2014, 01:49 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
679 Posts
Thanks. We are blessed with this scenery right in the middle of the alps. I enjoy flying here very very much, be it sloap soaring or "normal" flying. The tiny downside is that it is almost always windy.

The vortex generators are up next. I needed to concentrate on getting the plane done first so I can finish the review and now its time to play I will keep you posted on those.
Old May 05, 2014, 01:57 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
679 Posts
Now Austria does not have a very glorious airforce history but with the Beaver I may actually be able to do a nice air force model

We borrowed six of these from the US in the 50's. By the time you guys wanted them back we had managend to crash half of them...

But if at all, this is material for the coming winter.
Old May 05, 2014, 02:34 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
679 Posts
oh... and never ever underestimate the speed of a beaver
Old May 05, 2014, 02:02 PM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined May 2009
43 Posts
As promised, here are some pictures of the maiden on the 1. of May. It was a very beautyful and sunny early mornig. I'm the green guy
As i already said, the propeller will be replaced by a 3 bladed one and i will also add a shiny spinner.
Miles away is offline Find More Posts by Miles away