Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Thanks RCP' - last night I fitted the 400 brushed. Yes, I had to file the motor-plate and also the little holes with sand paper, took a while but now it fits nice, ratio is 62/15 - I had to hammer a plastic pinion on. Lol.

I might make a video of it and update this thread because it certainly moves a lot quicker than stock despite the weight of the motor and the nimh battery. (7.2 volts).
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Another thing RCP, I don't know your opinion on this, but in the video, the first part in the kitchen, you will notice the delays with the 27mhz TX from the 1980s. For me, I have very quick reflexes, so the delay in order to save the gears, for me, is insufferable. I would rather strip five gears than have that delay, it is so stupid as a design. I had a Micro-T once and the thing was actually not driveable because of it, the car would just sit there for seconds because my fingers react so fast that I end up pushing it 4 or 5 times and it just feels like an eternity. Not surprisingly, Thunder-Tiger did not make this mistake with the original ZT2 electronics, it was flowing, and cool.

Rant over, video upload in an hour or so.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:45 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
What delay are you referring to? The only designed in delay is in the ESC and it's a delay between forward power and reverse power. You have brakes instantly, but have to wait for reverse. Other than that there shouldn't be any delays or lag anywhere.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Yes, it's between forward and reverse, but as I say I have very fast reflexes so it seems I have to pump it 3 or 4 times, it is not very smooth. If I go forward, let go of forward throttle, when I press reverse nothing happens, I have to pump it a couple or few times, or wait. It's only a few tenths of a second but when I am in driving-mode it seems like 4 seconds TO ME.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
ZT2 Mini-T clone with 400 motor TEST (1 min 50 sec)
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbaba View Post
Yes, it's between forward and reverse, but as I say I have very fast reflexes so it seems I have to pump it 3 or 4 times, it is not very smooth. If I go forward, let go of forward throttle, when I press reverse nothing happens, I have to pump it a couple or few times, or wait. It's only a few tenths of a second but when I am in driving-mode it seems like 4 seconds TO ME.
Pretty much every ESC does this by default, it has nothing to do with the transmitter/receiver.

I don't understand why you would want to strip gears by getting rid of this...?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I never stripped any with the stock ZT2 electronics.

Having experienced the Losi electrics and the Thunder Tiger electrics, the latter were much smoother, and it done what you told it to do. I prefer that with the risk of stripping, than rubbish, without the risk.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
if going from rev to forward if you first tap it to make it move forward at that point you should be able to wot and get wheel spin and or a wheelie at that point . but as parson stated as defalt most every esc unless you can programm it out has it . and its mainly due to warrenty issues from the company as they would rather not have ten thousand transmissions to replace because of some one being able to go from rev to fwd instantly may do a cool wheelie / back flip but the tranny will not hold up the at abuse for long . the only esc ( I ) have owned that it can be removed from is the mamba series with I - link . and that was a mamba 25 esc and yes it does brushed and also brushless but it is pricy around 50 bucks . there may be others but i have not owned them .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Last edited by rcphreak; Sep 29, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Ok, thanks. I might just live with it.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Ok the 400 motor is SLOW on tarmac, as in - 10mph. But on carpet, it's AT LEAST double the speed. The back tyres are baldy, but surely that would not sap all that power on dry tarmac?

I got a really good Turnigy 2 cell and it's 1600mah, it should have increased the speed a lot, it didn't, it still does about 10-12 mph.

Is it the Losi LST electrics?? On my first ZT2, a 2 cell would have made a considerable difference. What gives?

I'm close to giving up, I've tried a fair bit to get this truck moving, surely it can't just be the tyres. I even put a bigger pinion on but it's as though top end speed is just not there at all.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:38 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Was it fully charged when you tried on pavement? Was the motor over heating at all?

Anything binding in the driveline after you tried it on carpet?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
No - honestly, the jump from nimh to Lipo just seemed like it did nothing. I have put the stock motor back on and will probably be tempted to go to a 3 cell, it's best to at least get some fun out of it even if it gets burnt out because right now, it's like a kiddies toy.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:36 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
How's the stock motor on the lipo?

The big benefit to lipo packs is that they can deliver more current (amps), if the motor isn't drawing many amps at all then you won't see a big boost in performance from a 2s lipo.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Yeah, I put the stock and tested today, on tarmac it seems a little bit faster but not much. I have just fitted a 3 cell and it sounds like it will be significantly faster which I expected given the leap in voltage.

Nimh to 2 cell = 0.2 volts.
2 cell to 3 cell = 3.7 volts.

Of course, how long the electrics will hold I don't know, but I don't really care all that much, it's a bit of a tatty old thing anyway. Then I'll have an excuse to get a Micro Truggy.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:11 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
ive ran the losi version on 3 cell and when over worked it goes into protection mode and re sets its self after it sits for a few seconds .but it has no cut off for 3 cells so be careful .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak