HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:01 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Geel
Joined Jun 2013
832 Posts
Using the higher KV motor of the SE5 might be a good idea in combination with a (four blade made into) 2 blade prop. Test on the ground to see how many amps it draws, but Im betting it will be below the stock motor + 4 bladed prop.
Vertigo72 is online now Find More Posts by Vertigo72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:10 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
Hj, I have been flying my SE5A for a while now are I am very comfortable doing both TK/LD.
I have a HK spit ready to go, how does it handle on TK/LD as compared to the SE.
ie, do I TK/LD it LIKE the SE. And like my SE I have an Orange V2 stab in it,.
My modem for internet packed up..... so been offline til now !

You cannot handle the SPIT the same way as the SE ....it is a more precise flier and a generation apart.

With the CG and Weight correct ( meaning a little heavier than stock and CG 2-3mm more forward than manual figure) plus take off trim adjusted you should be able to run it along its mains after the tail lifts off on its own accord at around half throttle set (4S that is) then pump in a little more power and it will ROG in a level attitude with some gentle elevator input.

As mentioned before this model likes a good take off run to take off flying speed.... and from there onwards it is very slick and swift when you use 4S packs.

The Orange stabilizer in the MK24 also has to be set to a max of 2-3 mm control movements as well ...otherwise you will have control issues !
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Jul 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,656 Posts
The Spit is now largely built. Static thrust readings were as follows:
- stock prop = 1.64kg
- SE5A prop = 1.7 kg
- TGY 11x10 prop = 1.63 kg

for an AUW of 1.16 kg with a 2200 mAh 3S LiPo. So any of these props should be able to fly this plane easily. I've settled on the TGY 11x10 as it fits a spinner that I've got and isn't too big to affect take-off. remember this is with the SE5A motor.

I'm hoping that I may be able to land wheels down, since the grass is quite short after a long dry patch, but I want the option to belly land to begin with, so I've got to do two things before the maiden, as well as not fitting all the underside goodies - spray the underside with WBPU and make some servo arm guards, . For this the plastic spoons aren't quite right so I'll make a male mould from wood and make four female guards from this. The flaps are set up for up, half and 45 deg. down thanks to good old ER9X.
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Last edited by richard9999; Yesterday at 01:48 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
I'm hoping that I may be able to land wheels down, since the grass is quite short after a long dry patch, but I want the option to belly land to begin with, so I've got to do two things before the maiden, as well as not fitting all the underside goodies - spray the underside with WBPU and make some servo arm guards, . For this the plastic spoons aren't quite right so I'll make a male mould from wood and make four female guards from this. The flaps are set up for up, half and 45 deg. down thanks to good old ER9X.

I have done quite a few belly landings on hard surface sand with all accessories, the front air scoop and wing radiator scoops attached without any damage . The radiator scoops hold out pretty well with just glue attachment on that surface and do not wear much......so I imagine if you belly land on short or medium grass surface the same result should apply.

The belly contact points are triangulated with the ventral front scoop and the two wing mounted ones and the MK24 will slide along on all three keeping the Aileron and Flap servo arms clear of the surface.
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
I love my Spit! I ended up putting the wheels that came on my Super Decathlon , which are not only larger diameter, but wider, too. The wing had to be hollowed to fit them, but ground handling, both landings, and takeoffs, and taxiing are greatly improved. I have done belly landings, but I don't like removing all the debris from the scoop! LOL! ----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
357 Posts
The Orange stabilizer in the MK24 also has to be set to a max of 2-3 mm control movements as well ...otherwise you will have control issues ![/QUOTE]

What sort of control issues do you mean.
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,687 Posts
Over control.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
I have done quite a few belly landings on hard surface sand with all accessories, the front air scoop and wing radiator scoops attached without any damage . The radiator scoops hold out pretty well with just glue attachment on that surface and do not wear much......so I imagine if you belly land on short or medium grass surface the same result should apply.

The belly contact points are triangulated with the ventral front scoop and the two wing mounted ones and the MK24 will slide along on all three keeping the Aileron and Flap servo arms clear of the surface.
Thanks for the tip. That will also mean that I don't have to custom make "guards" for the aileron/flap servo arms, which was going to be tricky. Raining today so I'll fit the "undergear" and spray the underside with WBPU, hoping for a maiden over the w/e.
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Today, 12:22 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
The Orange stabilizer in the MK24 also has to be set to a max of 2-3 mm control movements as well ...otherwise you will have control issues !
What sort of control issues do you mean.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Over control.
That is right !

Too much Aileron correction will cause a stutter like performance as the stabalizer tries to counter the action in Rolling manoeuvres and at worst will cause too much autonomous wing rocking at high speed.

On the Elevator you will get severe porpoising as you increase to pursuit speed and the Rudder on too high will give you fishtailing.