HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,611 Posts
another option would be to solder only 2 bullet connections on the motors that will rotate that way it would be as simple as swapping the 2 connectors but i do understand soldering the wires is a much better solution
i dont know if these are simonk firmware or some other design firmware but they claim that the esc's can be programmed with a programming card so it makes me wonder if im wrong
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
i usually put 3.5mm bullet connectors on both end of esc.. cuz i always switch things around.. bullet connectors are easier to swap... for upgrading
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hi noppita,

I have this one at home but I can't remember if I tried flashing it or not. I can check for you. Gate drivers on a 30A model...not bad.
Hmm, it turns out I have only the TowerPro 12A and 70A, not the 30A. The 30A is documented in quax' forums as being "type 3", which I think I made "tp_nfet.hex". You could try that one on a current-limited supply, and/or check first that the AVR pins as listed in tp_nfet.inc line up to the FET driver pins 2 and 3.

The TowerPro 70A board actually seems to be yet another pinout, matching the DLU40A except no opto-isolated and inverted input. I'll make a tp70a target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
How do I reverse motor rotation?
I was planning to store the configuration in the EEPROM, but for now, it's currently just a compile-time option (MOTOR_REVERSE). LazyZero's KKmulticopter Flash Tool has some reverse builds already made.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,160 Posts
Oh cool!!!

I'll never have to resolder my motor connections again correct? Just flash the right spin direction?

Cheers

PS: Thanks for all your great work Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post

I was planning to store the configuration in the EEPROM, but for now, it's currently just a compile-time option (MOTOR_REVERSE). LazyZero's KKmulticopter Flash Tool has some reverse builds already made.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:29 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
What I probably should have said was "are KK boards able to take advantage of flashed ESCs?".

Do they update the ESC at 400hz or 50hz?

Sorry for not being more specific....

Rick
This depends on FW. I know that kapteinkuk's have 300hz and Mike Barton's have 375hz refresh rate.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined May 2012
141 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5323

Please some help! I just want to know which firmware to use in this Dragonsky desing! I looked in Simonk page (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0) and in this thread but still cannot find it.

If it has only n-fets bs_nfet.hex could work?
h_e_c is offline Find More Posts by h_e_c
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2011
383 Posts
I have a huge problem guys!

I updated the ESCs with the newest SimonK FW with the kkmulticopter tool. Before I had an older one, because flashtool didn't wanted to install the newest FWs. I also put some transparent shrink tubes around the ESCs, so they look nice and clean. Before yesterday I went out to fly my tricopter after a repair (updated ESCs, changed one of the motors out and tried some spinners out instead of the propsavers). Everything worked fine, I flew 4 batteries, over 40 minutes long, doing flips and pushing the tri pretty hard around. Everything was ok.

Because about a month ago one of the motor cabels broke (thats why I had to replace the motor) I decided to glue the wires to the motor with some epoxy. I took my time and everything was ok, nothing was glued, what wasn't supposed to be glued. At home for a short spin-up still everything fine! Then I went out to the flying field and flew around for about a minute or so and one of the ESCs shut down and made a weird beeping noise, I've never heard before. I restarted the tricopter and flew again, but the same happened, so I went home. This was yesterday.

Today, I wanted to reproduce the problem and made a video of it (see at the end of the post). I succesfully recorded it, but the beeping wasn't continous any more, and it stopped after a minute or so. I raised the throttle again and heard a short sparking sound, so I unplugged the battery as soon as I could. I later on found out that also all the other ESCs broke. Two of them (including the one, that sparked and made the weird beeping noise) don't even make any noise, if I connect a battery. One of them does power up and I can also spin the motor, but as soon as I connect a servo to the BEC it shuts down.

I opened them and everything looks fine/nothing burnt, they just simply don't work.

I would appreciate any help from you. I am searching for the cause of the problem and how can I prevent it from happening again. I most probably will have to buy new ESCs, so it doesn't matter, if I have to measure anything on them. Or are the fixable?

Here is the video:
ESC Problem (1 min 26 sec)

edit. I forgot to mention my setup:
Hextronik 24g motors (blue wonder)
261000002 ESCs
2200mah battery
HK V2.1 Board (Minsoo Kim FW)
Turnigy 9X
Hasi is offline Find More Posts by Hasi
Last edited by Hasi; Aug 30, 2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: forgot the details
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:10 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
that's the problem of ESC

I bought 5HK10A(exact same as yours)... 4 works well and one goes alarm after a few mins and burning hot
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
I have a huge problem guys!

I would appreciate any help from you. I am searching for the cause of the problem and how can I prevent it from happening again. I most probably will have to buy new ESCs, so it doesn't matter, if I have to measure anything on them. Or are the fixable?
do you have the esc's ubec disabled on all but one esc. i know sometimes that can cause issues like you have recorded. I dont know about the beeping but having all ubec connected to the board can cause the poping and esc's going bye bye. i have experienced that.
could you be pushing more amps through the esc than it is rated for ? prob not but sometimes people forget small things so i thought id check. A 3s battery with those esc's can push more than 10 amps so if the esc is really a 10a esc that could cause trouble. working the cheap esc to hard . I run 18a motors but i use 30a esc's because the cheap china stuff is something i dont like to trust.

the better esc's have all nfet and ext oscillator you can check the list on the first post in this thread to find a good quality speed control
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added info
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
the ESCs shut down and made a weird beeping noise, I've never heard before
Hextronik 24g motors (blue wonder)
261000002 ESCs
The sound you hear there is the watchdog siren, as documented here: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/#troubleshooting

This means that the CPU reset in hardware because the watchdog reset instruction was not being called in time. The only way this can happen is a software bug or hardware lockup, including if the oscillator stops. However, it sounds like it's even glitching when beeping and resetting even then. Older versions might just lock up and keep the FETs on, cooking your motor in this case.

It's possible that there is some moisture or dirt around the oscillator (part that says "16" and looks like liquorice sandwich). I would try de-shrinking and cleaning the board. If that doesn't help, there must be something else wrong with the hardware. You could maybe check the fuses and confirm that CKOPT is set.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:57 AM
living the dream
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2011
369 Posts
Is this a timing issue?

See attached links to the videos taken during fpv flight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw234nlroa...20glitches.mov

https://www.dropbox.com/s/elb0j13wy2...lot%20lake.mov
this one is for comparison - earlier stable flight

DJI 450 flamewheel frame
tmotor 900kv 2216 motors
HK 30A esc's flashed with simonk

CC3D FC
9x4.7 APC props
GoPro 2
3300mah 4S battery
Pixim Seawolf in the big-ass housing
EZ-OSD
2.4 ghz spektrum 6 channel with satellite
400mw video tx with whip
AUW 1538g

this weird jittering has happened with 2 different sets of motors (exceed 2215 -1050kv's) so I have eliminated the motors. I've reflowed all bullet connectors and thought that it seemed to solve the problem. I notice now that it happens after a few packs have been flown.

Wondering if its a cold solder joint at the distro plate or any of the osd connections? Though if it were an intermittent power connection then I would likely hear chirps from esc's.

When glitching occurs, it does not tip an arm indicating one esc or motor but bumps up in altitude surging throttle.

I dont have any feed forward enabled in the OP software to further effect timing.

Any ideas or counsel - greatly appreciated!!

Steve
scphoto is offline Find More Posts by scphoto
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Do you use motor plugs? If yes, inspect them carefully.

manu

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphoto View Post
See attached links to the videos taken during fpv flight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw234nlroa...20glitches.mov

https://www.dropbox.com/s/elb0j13wy2...lot%20lake.mov
this one is for comparison - earlier stable flight

DJI 450 flamewheel frame
tmotor 900kv 2216 motors
HK 30A esc's flashed with simonk

CC3D FC
9x4.7 APC props
GoPro 2
3300mah 4S battery
Pixim Seawolf in the big-ass housing
EZ-OSD
2.4 ghz spektrum 6 channel with satellite
400mw video tx with whip
AUW 1538g

this weird jittering has happened with 2 different sets of motors (exceed 2215 -1050kv's) so I have eliminated the motors. I've reflowed all bullet connectors and thought that it seemed to solve the problem. I notice now that it happens after a few packs have been flown.

Wondering if its a cold solder joint at the distro plate or any of the osd connections? Though if it were an intermittent power connection then I would likely hear chirps from esc's.

When glitching occurs, it does not tip an arm indicating one esc or motor but bumps up in altitude surging throttle.

I dont have any feed forward enabled in the OP software to further effect timing.

Any ideas or counsel - greatly appreciated!!

Steve
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
living the dream
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Do you use motor plugs? If yes, inspect them carefully.

manu
by plugs, do you mean bullet connectors?

I do use them, Just reflowed all of them to be sure.
scphoto is offline Find More Posts by scphoto
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
I mean these ones, if low quality, don't trust them. Just solder the motor wires to the esc!
manu
Quote:
Originally Posted by scphoto View Post
by plugs, do you mean bullet connectors?

I do use them, Just reflowed all of them to be sure.
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Can anyone tell if running the simonk firmware at 16 khz causes a lot of noise at that frequency? Many people can't hear that high but if you can I'm wondering if it's annoying or not. 15 khz is like a knife stabbing my brain and 16 khz makes a lot of pressure in my forehead and makes my ears feel like I have tinnitus which is very annoying.

With that said, is it possible to run even faster? 17 or even 18 khz maybe? 18 khz is about as high as I can reliably hear.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo