HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:58 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
1A should power everything with about 1/4 amp left over!
Problem may be the bec fades power as it gets hotter.
Most of the switched ones do that.
I use a 3A to 6A bec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_florida View Post
The GPS will take about 45mA when it finds satellites and has a lock. When it is searching (you get the animating laser light pattern) it will take as much as 100mA. It takes more during the search because it turns it's internal signal AMPs way up in search mode. It's like, how much energy do you spend looking for your kids when you can't find them, as opposed to when they are orbiting somewhere around you.

The LEDs and atmel chip also add a lot of power too, probably about 100mA on average. So total, sitting on the desk searching, it could take as much as 200mA.

The GPS unit itself will get pretty warm if sitting on the desk not finding satellites. I noticed that too, tops out at about 40degC. It cools down once it locks on but both the GPS chip and the LED current resistors add some heat. Thus I don't conformal coat the GPS units. The conformal coat would lessen the heat dissipation ability and probably burn off after time and look bad anyway.

btw: 40degC is not at all hot for circuits. My video card runs at 96degC, most circuits start breaking down around 165degC if kept constant.
Thanks guys!
Good info and I'm confident it will be fine. Now, a little drop in the wind would be nice.

Talk to you at the next Webex!
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,391 Posts
Quadrino & MultiWii 101

FlyingEinstein will be hosting a webex class each Sunday @ 3PM EST for an introduction to wiring the Quadrino and initial installation and configuration of the MultiWii Configuration software. This is a group discussion and a Question and Answer period will follow and asking questions during the webex is also encouraged. If you are having difficulties with setting up the Quadrino this is your chance to get your questions answered and your quad flying.

This class is offered through Cisco WebEx and supports up to 50 attendees at a time. To join the meeting goto flyingeinstein.webex.com between 2:45 PM and 3:00PM EST. The meeting will open at 2:45PM but will not begin until 3PM.

Password is always "quad"

Go to flyingeinstein.webex.com

Webex is a Cisco product for online group meetings and presentations. If you haven't already done so, your browser will prompt you to install the webex browser plugin. There is no spam, spyware or adware in the Cisco webex product. Cisco is the leading supplier of computer network related products.
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,391 Posts
See you guys in 42 mins!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,391 Posts
Really interested in see all the people who got the GPS units mounted and running.

Let's talk about it!

Let's see if you can fill the room up today!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Colin installed my GPS last night personally :-) We just tested it for GPS lock however and that was all.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:58 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,234 Posts
Quote:
See you guys in 42 mins!
Unfortunatey I won't make this one as I have just been tasked to do a Christmas thing (BAH!)

I do have a couple of GPS Q's so I guess I'll have to wait. One is the meaning of the beautiful lights which I think were posted but I can't find it...

Anyway, keep it lively and if I get back early, I'll jump in

Cheers - Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
I havent been able to finish the docs on the lights on startup because I was out with the flue for a week, then recovered just in time to get my stuff together for a trip to Canada.

I'm attending the webex by coffee shop...for any Canadians out there - I'm hanging out in Tim Hortons!

The lights on startup will help me during any tech support. Each LED lights as a step in the startup initialization completes and is successful. The last blue light is the only one you need to know. If it blinks it means it couldnt find an SDCard or initialize it. If you put a microSD card in there, then the last blue light should light normally too and not blink. Also, if the microSD is running and logging then every 5 seconds a small 'bouncy LED' animation occurs to let you know a write occurred. Otherwise, the LEDs are solid on indicating the number of satellites locked.

There are 10 LEDs, so it can indicate 10 satellites locked. If 11 or 12 satellites get locked, then I start turning off the lower RED LEDs. Makes sense, full LEDs is 10 satellites, then I turn off red ones to indicate - even better lock!

Finally, during seeking - no satellites - it does a laser animation pattern.

The single lonely red LED is directly connected to the GPS chip. If it's solid it is seeking, if it's blinking then it has found at least 3 satellites. This LED was not necessary, but again, it will help during support.

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Unfortunatey I won't make this one as I have just been tasked to do a Christmas thing (BAH!)

I do have a couple of GPS Q's so I guess I'll have to wait. One is the meaning of the beautiful lights which I think were posted but I can't find it...

Anyway, keep it lively and if I get back early, I'll jump in

Cheers - Mark
guru_florida is offline Find More Posts by guru_florida
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2011
231 Posts
4 hours trying to connect

I spent a wet Sunday trying to configure the "best" board on a Mac OSX10.6.8. Only dreaming of getting the GPS working.
I have downloaded and installed all of the drivers etc or so I think but fail to get any green when selecting the port options.
USB cable connects with led 1234 flashing and settling to 2,3 and 4 on steady. The leds near the usb port both red and blue are on.
Firing up MW 2.1 shoes no led action.

Any tips anyone?

MacBook Pro 2.2ghz i7

thx I hope....

FlyingRodent
FlyingRodent is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRodent
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,391 Posts
Rodent pls pm my with your inf. And I will help you out!
Get you up and running very soon!
Send me you email!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:00 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
221 Posts
Hex problem ?

I've made myself a nice gear driven gimbal for my Hex and tonight tried to move motors 5 and 6 from the Cam Stab outputs (A0 and A1) to D5 and D6. I commented out this line:
//#define A0_A1_PIN_HEX
...but the ESCs to motors 5 and 6 wont arm. Anyone help withthis issue? It appears like they arent getting the low throttle signal on startup ?. I recalibrated all ESCs and am obviously using serial ppmsum. Its a V1E board running V2.1.\
mentony32 is offline Find More Posts by mentony32
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Jul 2012
67 Posts
Hey guys, I am trying to set up the manometer for heading hold, but it just doesn't work.
My first question is can I have heading hold on without acc turned on? I have tried both ways with no luck.
And second, do I need to set up the declination according to my lon. and lan. or is that only when using the gps, like Colin was talking about on Sunday?
I have calibrated the manometer but have not set the declination. I have also played with the heading setting in the GUI with no success.
Thanks
Shawn
shawn1979 is offline Find More Posts by shawn1979
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
Loves Burn of Hot Glue
Ventucky, Ca.
Joined Dec 2010
142 Posts
Has anyone tried this GPS with a 1.2 VTX?? I am wondering how the placement will effect function. . . my ls20033 needs separation/proper placement to work well.
Danub is offline Find More Posts by Danub
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:36 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentony32 View Post
I've made myself a nice gear driven gimbal for my Hex and tonight tried to move motors 5 and 6 from the Cam Stab outputs (A0 and A1) to D5 and D6. I commented out this line:
//#define A0_A1_PIN_HEX
...but the ESCs to motors 5 and 6 wont arm. Anyone help withthis issue? It appears like they arent getting the low throttle signal on startup ?. I recalibrated all ESCs and am obviously using serial ppmsum. Its a V1E board running V2.1.\
It should work, I have no idea what you issue is?
Maybe someone else with that setup can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1979 View Post
Hey guys, I am trying to set up the manometer for heading hold, but it just doesn't work.
My first question is can I have heading hold on without acc turned on? I have tried both ways with no luck.
And second, do I need to set up the declination according to my lon. and lan. or is that only when using the gps, like Colin was talking about on Sunday?
I have calibrated the manometer but have not set the declination. I have also played with the heading setting in the GUI with no success.
Thanks
Shawn
Shwan the declination is only for the GPS positioning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danub View Post
Has anyone tried this GPS with a 1.2 VTX?? I am wondering how the placement will effect function. . . my ls20033 needs separation/proper placement to work well.
You should have a 1.3 low pass filter.
Or something that is way better is a Knotch filter!
I have oredered stuff to make 10 sets of Notch filters!
I will be making them for 910 mhz and 1.2 to 1.3 ghz!
Also if you flying a 433 mhz LRS you need one for that TX.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:17 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,234 Posts
Quote:
You should have a 1.3 low pass filter.
Or something that is way better is a Knotch filter!
I have oredered stuff to make 10 sets of Notch filters!
I will be making them for 910 mhz and 1.2 to 1.3 ghz!
Also if you flying a 433 mhz LRS you need one for that TX.
Doc!
I need 2 then! (1.3Vtx, 433 LRS)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:00 AM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Doc!
I need 2 then! (1.3Vtx, 433 LRS)