HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:32 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Rave
The official tandem coax thread

As there has been a recent wave of interest in the various models of coaxial tandem helicopters on rcgroups I figured I would start a Universal thread to pool everyones interest in these unique helis. Talk about what is good/bad about the tandem style configuration, cool videos featuring your bird,

The recent rise in interest with the tandem heli (in particular the hobby level). As usual, there is a strong following for the two most popular heli's, the Syma s026g and s022. The reason for the success of the aforementioned models is likly a combination between their price and their sturdy construction, both features that attract beginner pilots.

The hobby side of the tandem scene looks much different. 4ch tandem helis are often seen as "overpriced", "too slow" or "it flies like a drunken Hippo" . And so, seeing these kinds of reviews often repels customers and keeps the hobby quality tandems in a very niche market.

Recently, however there has been growing interest in hobby quality tandem helicopters. With the upcoming retiring of the E-flite Blade mCX Tandem many have seen it as an opportunity to grab a 4 channel tandem for a very reduced price. I included have fallen victim to this "Tandem Fever" and have made a tandem purchase of my own. With the recent surge in interest, it begs the question, are tandems really that great?

So, inspired by this surge in interest, I am forming this thread to support the growth of the Tandem Coax Culture here on RCGroups.

This thread is open to anyone and everyone willing to talk tandem's with an open mind.
PURCHASES, VIDEOS, HYPE, PRODUCT NEWS, MODS, TANDEM RELATED HELP and any other type of talk is encouraged!!

RULES
1. All talk must be constructive, criticism is of course welcome so long as its positive
2. Talk about Tandem Helicopters!!!

ANNNNDDDD GO!!!!
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Last edited by THE_SHRUB; Feb 09, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Okay, do the Kick off.

Which ones better? the Eflite Tandem OR the Nine Eagles Twingo?

Both have 2.4gHz bind-n-fly support, there seems to be a great wealth of info on the Eflite kicking around the web but not too much is to be found about the Twingo.

The twingo costs much less at retail value than the Eflite too, at around $80 after shipping at HobbyKing. Whereas for the RTF, you can find it for around $100 (retail is ~$170) shipped to canada

Heres a vid of each:
First the Eflite:
E-Flite Blade Tandem Rescue RTF Electric Micro RC Helicopter (0 min 53 sec)

And now the Twingo:
rc helicopter nine eagles twingo (2 min 17 sec)

So Opinions?
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:44 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
kind of doubt that I will get a twingo ... so I cant comment on that one ... however I will comment on the "other' (.) one, as soon as its here (all your fault ...)

PS:
I can tell you a little story about MY "other" tandem, which took me weeks to get it the way I wanted (AFTER I had ordered it to Philly from the UK) and then it flew 30 seconds before I crashed it on the maiden hover ... never touched it since ...

... it is a drama !!! ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Well, I went for the e-Flite Tandem RTF Got it for $100 shipped to the Great White north, Anyone else looking for a great deal on a RTF Tandem should have a look at this link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=320654616691

And since I got it from an american seller, It should be here within just a few days!

More reports on this item later

Who else has pulled the trigger on these E-flite Tandems?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Found this video about the tandem, It looks like it was done when it first debuted in N. America. My fave part is their "mock heli rescue" scene :P

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2550294

"SOMEWHERE IN CANADA..."
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Tandem look-a-likes

Figured I would do a Direct comparison of each Tandem model currently on the market with the Heli It was based off of:

First, the E-flite (AKA Labrador CH-113)

And the Esky Tandem (Based off of an unknown style helicopter)

The Walkera 38# Tandem CH-47 Chinook (AKA BV-234 Chinook)

The Walkera 38# Tandem HH-46A

Nine Eagles Twingo (Exact source of schemes unknown)

Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB View Post

Who else has pulled the trigger on these E-flite Tandems?
Thanks to you and your other thread with the other eBay link I ordered the eflite :-). Hopefully will be here tomorrow.

I think I like the tandems cause they just look different. Have a few 3 ch plus a NE free spirit but I use my s026 the most. Many of these birds look so much alike they seem to lack character on comparison to the tandems IMO.
trsills is offline Find More Posts by trsills
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:59 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
cool thread! Here's a vote for the cheapest 'good' tandem, the S026

Last Nov I snagged the last $20 (shipped!) S026g in stock on Amazon and had it sent to my 74 year old dad for xmas. He's still having a ball!
My 5 year old nephew was surprisingly skilled with it also over xmas. This is only his 2rd or 3th attempt at a carrier landing. He's now an expert with the 6010 I bought him, PopPop took the S026 back to NJ :{

(HD) Kyle S026 close landing.MOV (0 min 17 sec)

Today I finally ordered one for myself, from Bigboystoys (MACAOTravel) for $28 off Ebay.
Seriously, less than $30 for a tiny, GREAT tandem?! Finally, I can throw my 3 year old, $40 Airhogs tandem in the trashola (after cannibalizing anything I can.....)
Hopefully it will work with one of my 3 Syma TX, which currently control 6 choppers.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Figured I would do a Direct comparison of each Tandem model currently on the market with the Heli It was based off of:

First, the E-flite (AKA Labrador CH-113)

And the Esky Tandem (Based off of an unknown style helicopter)

The Walkera 38# Tandem CH-47 Chinook (AKA BV-234 Chinook)

The Walkera 38# Tandem HH-46A

Nine Eagles Twingo (Exact source of schemes unknown)

Thankx for the pic of the (Real) red and black Marines model..I thought Walkera made that up..can you show a real pic of the flame model walkera sells.. I only flew on drab and cammo versions..in real life 80s time frame
Skoaler is offline Find More Posts by Skoaler
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
^^ No problem... And yeah, the chances of finding a chinook with a flame color scheme is about as likely as finding a CH-47 with Wings!

OH WAIT!!!!

NOW I'VE SEEN EVERYTHING!!!

*above pic is of a Boesing Vertol BV-347 based off of a CH-47A design

I'm currently considering making a RC version of the Vertol!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:55 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
I wonder how a NE 227A Twingo will fly with EQMOD's Bell-Hiller mods.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332806
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:38 AM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Shrub: Nice Tandem Thread! BTW...If any of are looking for the Eflite Tandem Rescue BNF I purchased mine from this ebay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Under $60.00 per unit including shipping ($44.95+$14.99=$59.94) I purchased two of them for a total of $114.89. Delivery was ultra fast (2 days) This guy seem like a very good seller IMHO.

Alex

PS: You can score a Eflite TX for short money on ebay as well.
UMASS is offline Find More Posts by UMASS
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Great deal UMASS!! And I had never thought about that Brosol, I'm sure It's possible, The Twingo looks like a very capable heli, I'm sure that bell-hiller mod would do wonders for it and really make it shine! Hey EQMOD!! We have an assignment for you!!!

Heres how I feel right now: Very snowed in
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Just ordered a red Grapple hook from BoomTownHobbies. Gonna mount it to my Eflite Tandem, along with a small video camera so that I can take top-down videos of my picks/drops

I also noticed that they had Aluminum swashplates for the eflite tandem, Do you think they would be worth the investment?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Just ordered a red Grapple hook from BoomTownHobbies. Gonna mount it to my Eflite Tandem, along with a small video camera so that I can take top-down videos of my picks/drops

I also noticed that they had Aluminum swashplates for the eflite tandem, Do you think they would be worth the investment?
I have the grapple hooks myself (bought all three colors) They are a BLAST to play with! I use them on my mCX2, maybe I'll try w/ the Tandem. I noticed the Aluminum swashplates as well. I may pick them up when I give BT another order down the road.
UMASS is offline Find More Posts by UMASS