HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:05 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Discussion
Buttercup 50" foamie

I saw a beautiful little plane on the Parkflyers thread several months ago called the Buttercup. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561552

I thought it looked so cool that I ordered the plan from RCM Mag. I've been fooling around with it off and on for a couple of weeks and finally finished it tonight.

50" ws
10.5 oz without battery
Custom CDR double stator motor
1060 prop

The fuse is EPP reinforced with a couple of fiberglass rods running nose to tail. Wing is FFF. I was surprised at how light it came out, esp since I painted it. (A Buttercup just has to be yellow.)

Looking forward to maidening it tomorrow, weather permitting.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Last edited by FirstShirt; Jan 19, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2007, 03:59 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Cool..
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Jan 19, 2007, 04:02 AM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Pat - I saw the Buttercup thread too and really liked the lines of this plane. Yours is beautiful and should be a nice slow flyer at <11oz with a 50" span.

Hope that you can fly it tomorrow!

Nice job,
Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Jan 19, 2007, 04:04 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Looks like an exceptional floater. NIce build. What braces the wings?

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:31 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,552 Posts
Nice job. There's just something about that design. It just sits there dripping appeal all over the place.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:06 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Tony, amazingly, I don't think the wing needs any bracing. The wing is long, but has a narrow cord. I did apply heat to the wing as I formed it. I know that adds a little stiffness. I also ran some light packaging tape along the leading edge and on the top and bottom of the wing (similar to Waterdog's STC). Seems pretty sturdy as is.

Gary, Kim, Bullseye, thanks for the kind remarks. Yeh, there's something about the beauty and simplicity of this design. The balsa builds on this are really neat, but it also seemed like a natural for foam.

Far too windy today, but I did put it in the air for a couple of minutes. I gave it just a little throttle and it soared. Other than that, I don't really know much about the flight characteristics. Looking forward to a calmer day to put it through it's paces.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Wicked nice looking! That should really float! Is the wing FF ??
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:18 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Paul, yep, FFF for the wing. The EPP fuse and FFF wing is probably a good combination since it's usually the fuse that take the heavy hits in a crash. At least that's been my experience--and I have a lot of experience!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:18 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Very cool... Looks like something that would be fun/able to fly around over the house... Enough wing and power to lift off quickly, and then enough wing/low weight to float around...

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Last edited by msmith; Jan 19, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,060 Posts
We built many Fred Reese designs in the past .... all we're simple , well thought out and flew great!!! What a designer and an inspiration !!!! If you like this , check out his Schoolyard Special and Mr. Mulligan ... RCM
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:43 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Figured you'd have some plans like this stashed away... Can't wait to try that Wedgie in foam too.

msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:58 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,060 Posts
Worked great for the legendary Leon Schulman...So many Old Timers can be made into Foamies... I'd love a Comet interceptor.. and a Strato Streak , and a Brooklyn Dodger, and a ...................so many really great planes from the past to be made into foamies...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:28 PM
soar-ne
omaha ne
Joined May 2005
765 Posts
Freds Simple Duster, peeled sturdyboard and undercamber wing. The guy knew the meaning of simple and how to make them fly great. IPS powered GWS electronics. Coat hanger landing gear and dollar store toy wheels. I think he would have gotten a chuckle out of it!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
soar-ne is offline Find More Posts by soar-ne
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Maiden flight...finally!

I finally had a chance to do a real maiden flight on the Buttercup. Take this with a grain of salt, because the last plane I build is usually my "favorite," but I can't say enough about how wonderful this plane is.

Weather has been rough here, until recently. Friday morning was perfect for a maiden flight. Almost no wind to begin with, then it picked up just a little during the hour or so I was out.

No surprise to anyone, but this is definitely a slowflyer. It might pass for a powered glider. The thing that amazed me was how slowly it could fly w/o stalling. I could take off at around half throttle, fly to a reasonable altitude, and cut back to a quarter to a third of throttle.

I tried a few fancy maneuvers, but the real joy of flying this plane for me was just cruizing around...low and slow or very high (it's easy to see a 50" wing!).

At one point, while at a fairly high altitude, I pointed it into a gentle wind, brought the nose up and cut the power as low as possible without losing altitude. This may have been unusual wind conditions, but I watched the Buttercup "fly backwards" for a good minute or more. It was so cool.

When landing, it seemed like I had to fly the plane down, letting the prop turn about as slowly as the clicks on my throttle would allow (1-3 clicks up from power off) in order to land.

This isn't a good windy day flyer, and not one for those who want to go fast, but for lawn chair potatoes like me, it may be the perfect plane! I'm not an AP guy, but I imagine this would also make a wonderful AP platform. Try one. It's well worth the price of the plan!
Old May 30, 2008, 07:48 AM
Joined Jul 2007
19 Posts
do you have a plan number for this plane or a link of where i can buy it
zeb00 is offline Find More Posts by zeb00