HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2006, 05:34 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Discussion
Dynaflite Fly Baby

I have purchased a built up and covered DynaFlite 84" Fun Scale Fly Baby at a "garage sale" posted at one of the other big R/C web sites. This Fly Baby has been build except for servo's and engine. It is both my first Giant Scale and first gas plane, which was chosen to help me learn about gas engines. I am flying at both high wing and low wing glo planes.

I was told that the Fly Baby had only three flights with both a US Engines 35 and then a glo engine (unknown size), which means that the cowling has to many cut-outs and the firewall looks like Swiss cheese.

After shaking out the bird seeds (not kidding) from the fuselage, it is time to install the servo's, including rudder linkage, and the G-38.

I would be grateful for anyone with Fly Baby experience to help me complete this one.

Here are some pictures:
bryadelm is offline Find More Posts by bryadelm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2006, 09:46 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I have contacted AeroGraphix.biz, beldecal.com, and customcutgrafix.com to obtain wing and rudder graphics shown below.

Height and length of the wings:
10" by 36" for each right and left area of the wing.

Height and length of the rudder:

8" by 6"

Any thoughts on using these graphics supplies or any other to consider here?
Old Jul 08, 2006, 03:08 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Only one quote has been received back from AeroGaphix on the decals for the Fly Baby. Their cost with shipping for top wing decals, rudder decals and under wing stripes is almost twice what I paid for this plane.

Thus, I have asked Technical Support at Dynaflite for their source of graphics in the prior picture.

My gift card bounced with my servo etc. order with Towers Hobbies.

I will be using standard servos recovered from a recently crashed plane to initially get the Fly Boy airborne and then decide whether to upgrade them later to high torque type.
Old Jul 09, 2006, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I received advice to stick my original plan for high torque servo's.

Thus, I bought Diamond Model Sports D5001 BB MG with 80 oz torque should work here and save me a few dollars over the Futaba S3010.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 11:44 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Today, I cut out a 1/4 inch plywood addition to the firewall of my Fly Baby and drilled holes for G-38 engine mount, epoxied it to existing firewall (wood filled for prior holes) and gave it a first clear coating of dope for the firewall.

The last major part order (I hope) has shipped from Servo City, so time to keep working on the Fly Baby.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:41 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
All parts ordered are here now, including an exchange for 18x8 Topflite wood props.

I replaced the wiring, servos, and control rods for the ailerons in the wings tonight, as well as patched two holes created there for this work, on the Flybaby. I also replaced the wiring, servos, and control rods for the rudder tonight. I love the sound of metal gears in the high torque Dymond servos, while testing the ailerons and rudder.

Given the breezy weather forecast (14-17 mph) in the evening tomorrow, it looks like I will be installing the servos in the fuselage for the elevators and building the box for the fuel tank. Hey, the days are too short now anyway to make it worthwhile for a 6 PM flight anymore.

I found a listing on eBay for a big box of balsa that lead me to find this seller has a Dynaflite Flybaby kit and many other giant kits suitable for gas engines.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Bryan
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I am ordering my Flybaby text name decal for the fuselage and insignia decals for the bottom of the wings from Denny with Cajun RC. This insignia is a great one!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:24 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
decal

Cute for sure... Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryadelm
I am ordering my Flybaby text name decal for the fuselage and insignia decals for the bottom of the wings from Denny with Cajun RC. This insignia is a great one!
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:45 AM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Here's my Flybaby in SE Michigan. Also has the US 35
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Today, I ordered my Flybaby text name decal for the fuselage and insignia decals for the bottom of the wings from Denny with Cajun RC.
Old May 19, 2007, 09:30 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
See my continuing problems with G-38 under separate topic of Need Help with ZEN13810 Easy Link Carb Adapter for my Zenoah G38.

I applied decals for experimental and Fly Bay to fuse and will next apply decals for the number and insignia decals to the bottom of the wings.

Also cut out the holes for the new cowling. Painting likely tomorrow.
Old Jul 08, 2007, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Yesterday, I had a successful maiden flight of Flybaby with smooth running, but rich, G-38 with 18x8 prop. Takeoff was straight with good acceleration, flying was smooth, and takeoff in 10 mph was easy touch down in center of runway. It felt great to finish this project and enjoy the recognition of my past R/C flight instructor, AMA Club President and many others at my flying field.
Last edited by bryadelm; Jul 08, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:32 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I regret having no pics of my finished project - crashed after both controls horns at elevators failed at 4th flight shortly after last posting here.

Insignia decals and text decals in vinyl for my specifications:
>Two insignia of same size for the bottom of the Wings: approximately 8 inches wide in 4 colors using the graphic provided separately in a file attachment sent with e-mail.
>Two sets of text letting (Experimental, Flybaby and numbers) of agreed upon size for the fuselage in white letters with black trip.

Advice that I could pass on - reduce the size of graphics for fuselage and ensure heavy duty control horns at elevators and other control surfaces.

I moved onto a built Spacewalker II with electronics or motor for Winter 2008 project using my G-38 (repaired).

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:18 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Sorry to hear about your forth flight. I've had my share of them myself,so I know the feeling. I haven't flown my Flybaby for a while - got to many planes in my hanger.
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Jan 02, 2008, 09:55 AM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I am an intermediate pilot (rolls, loops, Split S, Immelman, Hammerhead, Cubans, etc.). However, I was just getting a feel for take-offs, landings, 360 turns, 180 turns, figure 8's and other basics before the crash of my Fly Baby.

It was my first giant scale plane and the best flying plane that I had ever flown (others 40-46 size). The Fly Baby had easy takeoffs (straight with no left pull), smooth turns with no loss of altitude, along with gliding soft landing at idle. Everyone at the field (Valley Forge National Park) clear the air space to watch this beauty fly.

Yes, it was a very sad loss for me...