HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:58 PM
United States, NJ, Woodstown
Joined Sep 2011
38 Posts
Discussion
looking for wing struts/hardware to 50cc 104" trainer

Can anybody steer me to a company that sells wing strut hardware and/or fabricated struts for a 50cc 104" wingspan trainer? I am also interested in any links that show examples of attachment systems or design considerations for installing the wing struts. The kit I am going to start does not have provisions for struts.

Not sure what the typical materials are recommended or used for making struts.

Thanks for any help.....
valkrider is offline Find More Posts by valkrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkrider View Post
Can anybody steer me to a company that sells wing strut hardware and/or fabricated struts for a 50cc 104" wingspan trainer? I am also interested in any links that show examples of attachment systems or design considerations for installing the wing struts. The kit I am going to start does not have provisions for struts.

Not sure what the typical materials are recommended or used for making struts.

Thanks for any help.....
If you want the quick and easy, you could just buy struts such as linked, OR, you could just as easily make your own that would look and perform the same when finished. This is just one example, and you could probably buy this very set and easily adapt them to work on the model you described.
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...08-91A-34.html

Or make your own:

Option 1: Use 1/2" x 3/4" straight grained Pine, Spruce or Basswood for the main strut, then slot each end to accept a piece of flat 1/16" steel (aluminum would OK too) that is epoxied and glued into each end and then bent to the angle needed. Drill a hole on each end to accept a #6 bolt that goes into the fuse and wing mounts, and you're there.

Option 2: Use a 1/2" piece of round dowel, same wood characteristics as above, then slip a piece of brass or aluminum tubing over each end so that the metal tubing engages maybe 2" or so of the ends of the dowel, (again, both epoxy and pinning would be recommended). Then flatten the approx. 1" or so that extends beyond the wood dowel and drill a hole on that flat area for the attaching bolt.

In either case, you could install a brace between the about in the middle if you feel the need. That would turn the "V" appearance of the strut into an "A" appearing strut.

Typically, attach points on the fuse are just a T-nut on part of the gear mount, and of course, you will NEED to epoxy some ply mounts in your wing recommended to be glued to the front and rear spars. Look at some plans online to see how these mounts are typically installed.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
38 Posts
thanks for taking the time to give suggestions.

I haven't built a plane with struts before and was unsure of what type of wood is recommended, as well as the best placement location in the wing for the most effective bracing. I'm guessing about 1/2 of length of the wing and near main spar for strength. I want these to be functional, not aesthetic.

If there are any other ideas or recommendations they will be appreciated. Willing to learn and want to do it right.

I would still like to know if anyone is making and selling the hardware needed to fabricate these struts or if they have any pictures or can steer me to a link describing the pieces.
Last edited by valkrider; Jul 11, 2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:17 PM
Joined Dec 2013
65 Posts
Valkrider, take a look these... they are replacement struts for Hangar 9's super cub... has basically the same wing span as what you're looking for... you'll need the hardware package if you buy the super cub struts... they have struts for their J3 Cub, basically the same as the super cub, but it comes as a complete kit, hardware and all, but its back ordered till August .
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ge-_-HAN454010

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ge-_-HAN454017

These are the J3 Struts... I put a set of these on my Sig 1/4 scale cub... they're aluminum streamlined struts very nice scale look to them... you'll have to find away to mount the hardware in the wings so they become structurally part of the wings... I trapped the main spars, fore and aft with some 1/8" plywood, then attached the hardware to the ply with 4-40 socket head screws and some "T" nuts.

The J3 struts are cheaper and include the hardware... with their Super cub struts they decided to separate the hardware and charge another 54 bucks, but they are basically the same struts, just different colors.... either way, you may have to fiddle with the jury strut length depending on your models wing design.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...Page-_-HAN4562

John M,
John_M_ is offline Find More Posts by John_M_
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:29 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,241 Posts
The old school 12' Telemaster kits used a strut built up with a strip of ply surrounded by balsa that was then formed to airfoil shape. Attached with a couple strips of flat copper.

I have one under construction that I need to get back to, but I wanted the struts to be stronger and am using jury strut material.

http://www.carlsonaircraft.com/struts.html

Not particularly light... But should be strong.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:13 AM
Joined Oct 2010
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
The old school 12' Telemaster kits used a strut built up with a strip of ply surrounded by balsa that was then formed to airfoil shape. Attached with a couple strips of flat copper.

I have one under construction that I need to get back to, but I wanted the struts to be stronger and am using jury strut material.

http://www.carlsonaircraft.com/struts.html

Not particularly light... But should be strong.
Having seen hidden voids in plywoods, even supposedly "good" multi-ply Birch ply, I'd would have some serious misgivings using a ply strip as the base for a strut.
As long as you determine that you have a piece of straight grain solid wood (Spruce, Basswood, and even Balsa on not-so-large airplanes), you'd end up with a strut assembly that will not only take the stresses of flight support, but also fair much better when stuff gets dropped on top of them in your truck. Solid wood is also quite easy to radius edges to impart the teardrop cross section shape.
Aluminum works great, but is more prone to damage in transit, and once you kink it, it will have lost quite a bit of it's original strength.

I'm not offering any kind of critique of whatever else others might choose to use for struts, just reporting from personal experience over time.
Spruce is my first choice but I have more often ended up with Basswood due to the correct kind of Spruce not being readily available when I want it.
Never had a strut fail, ever.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:23 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,241 Posts
You know, now that you mention it, it might have been spruce and not plywood they give you I the kit.

On this plane the support is structurally critical, and there have been a couple threads about loosing one due to strut failure. That's why I went with the jury strut, and will double he metal attachment strips.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
38 Posts
thank you JohnM and others for your help...much appreciated.