HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Discussion
Engine recomdations

Hi all,
I'd like some advice on what kind of steam engine would be suitable for my ore boat. She's 12' long 1' depth 28" beam weight up to 600lbs loaded. Prop is 4 bladed and I would like her to move at 12 scale knots. I can push her alonge with my finger with little pressure.

you can see pictures on the scale boat forums on this site under "12' lake freighter 1/24 scale ".

Any thoughts on putting 2 TVR1A 's together?

Thank you Eric
Eric Klein is offline Find More Posts by Eric Klein
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
What diameter propeller can you fit on her?
Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
Eric's freighter thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ter+1+24+scale

Eric says in his other thread:" I'd really love steam." In that case, you should follow your heart. Some thoughts:

1. w/o model steamboat experience your first setup will probably not be your last. Make everything easily removable so you can change things easily. Use silicon model airplane tubing for steam lines (instead of bending metal lines). Your first goal is to get something that moves the boat, your 2nd goal will be to get it to move the way you envisioned.

2. One steam motor will move the hull. More motors will give you faster acceleration, and possibly excess power to allow you to deal better with wind. I'd start simple. TVR1A is a good motor, fairly inexpensive, easy to construct. You will be playing with prop size and pitch to get it to work well. Learn to bend some simple props out of sheet steel (tin can lids?). Probably no one (still alive) has done what you are doing, so you are the experimenter.

3. Don't add steam accessories until you have a setup that moves the boat. Accessories such as water pumps, large steam oil tanks, big fuel tanks, boiler water makeup tanks, etc. can be added later. Unless you have a will of iron, the patience of a saint, and lots of spare time, debugging accessories may lead to burnout before you ever get to see her move on the water. Dream big, but start small, planning on making incremental improvements that build on prior success. There are a plethora of variables in steam ops. Which means, when it doesn't work, figuring out the solution can be very frustrating....so minimize the initial variables as much as possible. I find that steam power is fascinating, more so than electric power. But there will be a learning curve :-).

Hope this helps.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Dec 04, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
I would start with the Stuart D10 or Saito T2GR, engines, both have a bore and stroke around 3/4 x 3/4'" The Stuart will turn a very large propeller I would start at 4" and it might handle a 5" propeller. The large MAC boiler would be a good match to both engines. You are looking at a expensive investment but you have a very large model.
thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Thanks for the advice expecialy on keeping it simple, I do have the pretenceity to make things overly complicated.

She has a 5.5" 4 bladed prop.
Eric
Eric Klein is offline Find More Posts by Eric Klein
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
we2
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
I have just received the Dumas Creole Queen build kit and would like to steam power it. Has anyone else done this with this kit? What is the best engine/engine kit? How about prop and size? I would like to get this planning underway so that I can do what ever mods are required to adapt the steam engine as the kit build progresses.
we2 is offline Find More Posts by we2
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
we2
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
correction

Boat is a paddle wheeler! No prop!
we2 is offline Find More Posts by we2