Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
...deleted...
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
Beware the battery on the MTC-01. There is no way it lasts 2 or 3 hours. 45 minutes maybe at most. That has bit me more than once. It seems to charge way too fast because it only takes like 15 minutes which is either a very heavy load on the battery or it's not fully charging it. Can't wait to start powering this from the radio, in fact I may wire something up before I even start work on the proper TX module.

I hate the failsafe on the Genius CP RX. It seems to go into full down pitch while slowly lowering the throttle. This either slams it into the ground at full throttle or sends it flying away slamming into objects if you're not completely upright. Then it will lay on the ground burning the motors while slowly spinning down. I would much rather it just cut off completely with loss of TX signal, much less chance of damage that way.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,757 Posts
Excellent work your doing. While back thought i'd swap out GCP rx for GCP Devo rx just so i could use this with my Futaba but looking at what you done so far probably wouldn't work with mine.
Still fingers crossed I'll have devo10 next week....maybe this time!

I almost bought one from ChinaJade $13.50+$5shipping!! Shipping wouldn't change with extra parts. He is a proper Good guy just wish things would get better for him, always been good for 5 day shipping to UK

Phil
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
Yeah I have been thinking about getting some brushless conversion parts from ChinaJade. I haven't really decided what I want to do though so have been holding off.

I updated the Genius CP models to version 4. These use the "swash ring" setting so the swash doesn't bind when doing full elevator + full aileron. I also changed the expo on the advanced model to 15% since that is what I use and I'm bound to forget to change it at some point plus these settings are personal preference that everyone changes anyway.

Been flying lots of packs almost every day and no issues with my setup and the MTC-01 so far.
Last edited by LittleMo; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
23 Posts
Hi,

Anybody want a Christmas project..lol

Has anybody tried the magic cube with a spektrum transmitter.
Ohioshooter is offline Find More Posts by Ohioshooter
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Hi L,
I notice you have the FrSky module still in place when using the MTC-01. Would it be better to remove it when using the MTC-01?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi L,
I notice you have the FrSky module still in place when using the MTC-01. Would it be better to remove it when using the MTC-01?
It depends on the firmware. I use er9x which shuts off the TX module when you plug into the trainer port so it receives no power and can be left in place. Other firmware may not do this. When I tested open9x it would often leave power on to the TX module but this was a long time ago, they might have fixed it by now.

Even with the TX module powered it might still work but there is always the risk of interference with the antennas that close, especially with normal TX modules outputting 100mW and the MTC-01 only at 10mW. Personally I would remove the TX module if your firmware doesn't cut power to it when using the trainer port.
Last edited by LittleMo; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
Quick little bind and fly demo. Sorry I never seem to be able to get the camera level on my hat.

My hands were freezing, I need to move somewhere warmer.

Flying Genius CP with Turnigy 9x radio (2 min 10 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:52 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
I'm still waiting for parts (probably a few more weeks ) but the module fits no problem in a JR style TX module case (with the audio plug removed).

Seems to run fine on 3.3V which what I plan on powering it at. I believe it has an on-board regulator but I haven't been able to decipher the part numbers to determine what the regulator(s) are. One is marked "E5H" and another that I don't know if it's a regulator is marked "UN8HX". If I knew the specs of the regulator(s) I would probably just power the module with 5V or directly off the 9x battery instead of 3.3V since that would give more head-room or be simpler.

I'm probably going to mount it vertically so that I can see the LED's through the preexisting holes on my case. I haven't decided if it is worth it to take the LED's off the module and mount them properly. Probably not for me, I just want to fly.

Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
I edited the first post with my latest information.

As far as I have been able to determine the MTC-01 is 5V safe for the PPM input so a level converter is not necessary. I traced part of the circuit and it appears to feed the PPM signal through a LM393 which can handle much more than 5V. The WK radios output 5V and the MTC-01 is designed for those so it should be no problem.

I also completed my TX module which makes life so much easier now. External antenna, more range, and powered from the radio.

Next on my todo list is to add an RF amplifier to get more power out. Currently even with the external antenna range is limited to a little more than 30 meters. Might be a while before I do this though because I don't really need it yet.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
185 Posts
Great writeup. Thanx loads for it.

I just got it working with open9x & a Mini CP via the trainer port. Two things that I think are worth noting for posterity:

1) If you're using the trainer port (as opposed to grabbing the PPM signal internally), the protocol is PPMSim.

2) The radio will "turn on" when you plug in the MTC-01 and turn the MTC-01 on, even if the radio power switch is off. I couldn't get to the blue led to flash this way. Turning on the radio proper caused the led to start flashing with no stick wiggling required.

Since I plan on continuing to run it externally (because I also want to play with the MTC-01 on my Android devices), I now need to figure out where to velcro it to the radio.
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:53 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meyer View Post
Great writeup. Thanx loads for it.

I just got it working with open9x & a Mini CP via the trainer port. Two things that I think are worth noting for posterity:
I believe the issues you had with the trainer port are specific to open9x. I saw similar behavior when I tried using it with PC sims. The problem with having to switch on the radio is that it will also turn on any TX module you have plugged in so it's best to not have one inserted when using the MTC-01 this way. That will help prevent interference since the MTC-01 is an extremely low power transmitter.

The behavior of the trainer port is the primary reason I use er9x instead.

Thanks for the tips!
Last edited by LittleMo; Feb 19, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:19 AM
king of the newbies
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined Feb 2013
202 Posts
LittleMo, This is awesome stuff! Thanks so much for the write up on this.

My 9X V2 will be arriving this week via USPS! Threw trying to educate myself on the different modules that can be made/bought and doing my homework on the 9xforums, I was looking at why nobody made a setup for Walkera. Then I saw the Walkera MTC-01 adapter. Did a little thumbing around about it and I stumbled across your youtube video! I dam near jumped for joy! I really like the Super CP!
Couldnt find anybody over there who got it to work on the 9x I thought to myself I saw the video, somebody got it to work!
Then I spent some time reading about guys playing with the idea of using a DEVO 8 or 12 to DEVO 8S or 12S Upgrade Module to interface with the 9x.

Finally, I got linked here to this thread... bingo! Nice work over there and over here by the way!

Ok, so its been a little bit since your last update. Hows it working? long range any better???

:: like your sticker on your module by the way!
kingnewbie is offline Find More Posts by kingnewbie
Last edited by kingnewbie; Mar 04, 2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Piffy comment
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,483 Posts
Thanks, yeah it has been working great. I fly using it almost every day.

Range is short though. Best to keep it within 30 meters or so. Which is about as far as I want to fly something as tiny as my Genius anyway.

Eventually I'm going to try an RF amp. I think I'm going to try a MAX2644 first. It's about $4 and needs minimal external components. It won't be until I have a need to do another electronic parts order which might be a while though so who knows when I'll get to this.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:33 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,060 Posts
Any chance there's a diode we can remove to allow higher power transmission like the Devo 7e guys have found?
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon