HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
devo7 setting with walkera 4F200LM

Hello,

I am new user and just got the walkera lama helicopter (4F200LM) with the Devo7.

I need the correct settings to program the Devo7 in order to make it fly.
I am a bit desesperated.

Thank you very much in advance
krikri is offline Find More Posts by krikri
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:34 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,332 Posts
If you bought the 4F200 with the Devo 7, it should have pretty neutral settings. About all you would want to do is to add some expo and maybe reduce negative pitch to about -3 (if it isn't already). The 4F200 and Devo 7 are not real popular and the Devo 7 is difficult to program, so you may have to do most of it on your own. You may want to pm stormforce. He has that heli with the 2603 transmitter and I think they have a lot of similarities. I have a Devo 7, but mine is programmed for a Genius in 6 axis mode. So, my settings wouldn't do you much good. But, if you have a specific issue, I may be able to help.

If you have no previous experience, you should think seriously about setting that 4F200 aside, until you gain some experience with a cheaper and easier heli.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Thank you very much for your time to answer!
The problem is the blade pitch.
When the throttle is 0, the pich is negatif. So when I fly and set the throttle back to zero the heli is pushed violently o the ground.
So my main issue is to set properly the blade pitch.
And when when I fly the heli is drifting to the right.

Thanks very much for your help
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,332 Posts
You probably have to ensure the mechanical settings are correct before worrying about the transmitter. With the transmitter on and neutral throttle (motor disconnected) you should be in the center of travel with no pitch.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Hi,

I'm having similar issues with my 2603 tx, but as Balr14 wrote, the Devo 7 and WK-2603 both seem to be very similar.

As for blade pitch, the blades should be set at 0 at 50% throttle, so one can combat any wind attempting to lift the heli away.

Go into the tx program menu, (press ENT and Stick Mode should flash) then press up and down rocker until you get to PLT/PIT and it is flashing, then press R or L to switch it on (default is off), then adjust V1 dial to 35% (left top) then adjust V2 dial (right top) to PIT to 75%. Press ENT to confirm the setting, then EXT to escape and leave the menu. If you get into the program menu again, the last thing you adjusted will be the first thing that flashes, rather than having to scroll through the menu options again.

The "ELEV/AILE RUD - D/R switch (right top toggle switch) should be in the down position for dual rate, this inhibits the servo arm throw by 50%, which makes the heli a bit docile, but easier to control so it won't go shooting off if you are a bit too aggresive with the sticks.

The 0, 1 - A switch (left top toggle) is for limiting the amount of throttle or acts as a throttle "governor" (if you set it to say 80%, even though the throttle may show 100% on the display, it is restricted to 80% instead), so it effectively limits the height or altitude of the heli, so it can't climb too high. Since the collective pitch angle and throttle are controlled by the same stick and they are adjusted in unison, if the throttle is set too low, the heli may not get enough main blade head speed to even get off the ground. I prefer not to limit the height, but just to go gently with the sticks, as with these main blade pitch settings one needs a fair bit of rotor head speed to lift off quickly to get away from the ground effect, to have any chance of getting it into a hover.

Being a 6ch CP heli, it will not act like a 4ch FP where you can just drop the throttle and the blades will stop turning. It will drive itself into the ground as you approach 0% throttle, because of the negative pitch below 50% throttle, you've just gotta ease it down gently by "feeling" the throttle and co-ordinating what you are seeing the heli do, to what you are doing with the throttle. The heli will not fly itself, you must fly it continuously. There is no such thing as a "hands free" hover with 6ch CP heli's. Plus, there are way too many fragile parts on this particular model of heli to treat it like a 4ch FP, in my recent experience, the 4F200LM has issues with the tail drive shaft and gears, any time you hit the ground, even if it isn't very hard, has the possiblity of stripping gears, either on the main gear or inside the differential for the tail rotors. If you spin the heli by hand, and you hear a "cruching" sound or it binds a bit, it is because either one or some of the teeth on the cone gears are either bent over or missing. It may not make much difference when it is spinning slowly, but at high speed, they will not spin up to their full potential and the tail will loose holding authority as a result and the heli will spin to the right and you will find you can not adjust the trim to get it to fly straight.

I'm definately not an expert on this heli as I only aquired mine a couple of weeks ago, so I too am still at the learning stage, so if we join forces, we both might benefit from our individual discoveries and make the learning curve less painful and more educational.

Mick.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Mar 17, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Devo 7 factory settings for the heli 4F200LM Walkera

Hello again,
I have sent the same question to Walkera and thex send me the following answer concerning the factory setting for the DEVO7.

4F200LM at DEVO 7 Setting
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The correct settings are :
at SYSTEM tab, goto STMOD > MODE 2, then press "ENT"
at MODEL tab, goto SWASH > 1-NRM, then press "ENT"

at FUNCTION tab, goto REVSW > Elev : NORM, Aile : REV, THRO : NORM, RUDD : REV, others are NORM.
at FUNCTION tab, goto TAVAD > All channels are 100.0%
at FUNCTION tab, goto SUBTR > All channels are 0.0%
at FUNCTION tab, goto DREXP > All default.

at FUNCTION tab, goto THCRV > SRVHD YES > MODE NORM, EXP ON
P-L : 0%
P-M : +50%
P-H : +100%
at FUNCTION tab, goto PTCRV > SRVHD YES > MODE ST 1, EXP ON
P-L : +100%
P-M : +70%
at FUNCTION tab, goto PTCRV > SRVHD YES > MODE ST 2, EXP ON
P-L : +100%
P-M : +70%

at FUNCTION tab, goto GYRO > MODE MANU, POS 0 : 70.0%, POS 1 : 70.0%, POS 2 : 50%

at FUNCTION tab, goto PTCRV > SRVHD YES > MODE NORM, EXP ON
P-L : -30%
P-1 ACT : -8%
P-2 ACT : +15%
P-3 ACT : +45%
P-5 : +70%
at FUNCTION tab, goto PTCRV > SRVHD YES > MODE ST 1, EXP ON
P-L : -70%
P-M ACT : 0%
P-H : +70%
at FUNCTION tab, goto PTCRV > SRVHD YES > MODE ST 2, EXP ON
P-L : -70%
P-M ACT : 0%
P-H : +70%

These are the default settings.
Please check, thanks.

by helipal.com
Wing Chan
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
I just bought Walkera 4F200LM with Devo 8S. Is anyone here to have good set up for this copter with Devo 8S?
Thanks.
fallsg1975 is offline Find More Posts by fallsg1975
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
devo 8 s setting with 4f200lm

hello
every 1 . iam new in this rc groups can any body help me for the setting of 4f200lm with devo 8s
Thanks
helloboy is offline Find More Posts by helloboy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
devo 8s setting for 4f200lm

Thanks to jacky from helipal..................

For servo reverse, please turn Aileron and Rudder into REVERSE.

Mode 2 stick

Swash type NORMAL mode

All Servo reverse are NORM

Gyro :

Mode : Manual mode

Switch : MIX SW

POS 0 : 78%

POS 1 : 78%

POS 2 : 78%

Subtrim :

All 0%

{PITCURVE}

Normal mode :

EXP : ON

Point L : -10%

Point M : +27%

Point H : +60%

{Throttle Curve}

Normal mode :

EXP : ON

Point L : 0%

Point M : +61%

Point H : +100%

by helipal.com

Jacky Lee
helloboy is offline Find More Posts by helloboy
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikri View Post
Thank you very much for your time to answer!
The problem is the blade pitch.
When the throttle is 0, the pich is negatif. So when I fly and set the throttle back to zero the heli is pushed violently o the ground.
So my main issue is to set properly the blade pitch.
And when when I fly the heli is drifting to the right.

Thanks very much for your help

Did you get good settings?

Played with some curves. Se enclosed pdf.
Curve 1 = normal.
Curve 2 = ST1.
Curve 3 = ST2 on the stunt mode switch (FMS)
(Could not download xls)
norman123 is offline Find More Posts by norman123
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Aug 2013
1 Posts
4F200LM With Devo 7 Collective Issue. Very Odd.

Just got this spun up with the training gear and was attempting some "scooting practice" around the garage to get used to the radio controls. The odd thing is it doesn't behave the way a Mode 2 setup should behave. Rudder and throttle work fine, very intuitively, but when it comes to collective stick it acts like its 45 degrees off. Forward collective pulls left, Backward pulls right, Left moves the thing forwartd and Right move the thing backward. It's almost like I have to lay the radio on it's right side to line up the collective stick. Haven't seen anything in setup to address this. With throttle down and working the collective stick the swash plate looks to be moving normally. Press the stick forwarrd and the swash dips forward, backward/backward, left/left and right/right. Blade coplanarity looks good at mid throttle. The only thing I can think of is that I have the battery mounted outside the bird to accomodate the training gear. It's still underneath the bird and centered where it would roughly be if it was in it's compartment. Could the training gear be messing with the blade wash? That's the only thing I can think of that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.
CouchCat is offline Find More Posts by CouchCat
Old Oct 04, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2013
1 Posts
4F200LM With Devo 7 Collective Issue. Very Odd.

I'm having the same problem with the right stick in Mode 2 giving me aileron control with front and back stick movement and elevator control with sideways movement. Even took off the canopy and switched the servo plugs between aileron and elevator but it didn't fix the problem.

Anyone have any idea how to address this issue?
soaraholic is offline Find More Posts by soaraholic
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:45 PM
Awenda Helicopters, C-GRVN
Canada, ON, Braeside
Joined Oct 2013
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaraholic View Post
I'm having the same problem with the right stick in Mode 2 giving me aileron control with front and back stick movement and elevator control with sideways movement. Even took off the canopy and switched the servo plugs between aileron and elevator but it didn't fix the problem.

Anyone have any idea how to address this issue?
soaraholic, couchcat,

having the same issues:
- forward cyclic = heli roll left
- backward cyclic = roll right

- right cyclic = pitch forward
- left cyclic = pitch backward

i've got a message into helipal about this. rotor disk tilt should match the swash plate, so something's not stirring the Kool-aid lads.

this is my first 3-balde CP, but i am taking it slow until i understand what's going on before i take her off the test stand.

since your posts are august and september, and nothing heard since, have you solved your issues ?

b-t-w, one of you mentioned "collective" (and in your title).. you mean the "cyclic" stick.

best,
LTL
Love the Lama is offline Find More Posts by Love the Lama
Last edited by Love the Lama; Nov 03, 2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added detail
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2009
6 Posts
Bumping this in the hopes that someone has the solution, as I have exactly the same problem described above.

Thanks
Rav99 is offline Find More Posts by Rav99
Old Dec 26, 2013, 02:50 PM
Awenda Helicopters, C-GRVN
Canada, ON, Braeside
Joined Oct 2013
30 Posts
hi Rav99, there is some general info for this bird here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2031464

just to cover all of the bases, check your swash plate motion. it should duplicate your cyclic stick inputs: f. ex. forward stick tips the swash forward

consensus is the "gyro" (an accelerometer actually) does not perform as designed until the bird is in the air, so one has to pop her up. just the same, you should also check that your gyro stabilization compensates in the correct direction. with the heli and tx armed, any tipping of the bird by hand (f. ex. roll left) should result in some compensating swash movement in the opposite direction.

you'll be dealing with tail-rotor thrust while still on the ground, drifting you left (especially with training gear). once in the air the bird can hang right skid low as you input some right stick, providing a small horizontal component from the main rotor lift vector.

definitely avoid the temptation to input any/significant cyclic while still on the ground & horizontal. give yourself plenty of acreage so you can gradually learn to concentrate on getting the bird in the air versus dealing with the tail rotor thrust.

what i've read and learned so far is that "soft" take-offs are not the norm for this FBL bird - "have to give her some bottle". i live in Canada and outdoor skating rinks (empty ones if you can find them) are perfect for learning take-offs and avoiding accidental tip-overs.

i am still experimenting with gyro settings on the rx & the tx… it would be nice to post a good summary, for different flying styles: precision hovering, circuit flying, 3-D etc. i am interested in approximating scale flying.

best,
LTL
Love the Lama is offline Find More Posts by Love the Lama
Last edited by Love the Lama; Dec 28, 2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: additional info