HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:47 PM
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined May 2010
269 Posts
Discussion
RX holds

When you get one or more holds on your rx (I use Spektrum in case it differs by manufacturer, will your plane go into failsafe?
ryokox3 is offline Find More Posts by ryokox3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 02:51 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,246 Posts
What do you mean by "holds" ? It's not a term I've heard used about RC receivers....and I use Spektrum too .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:24 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,188 Posts
Your plane will go into failsafe BUT even getting one is not good. If you are getting then you should reposition your antennas.

Hold – a hold occurs when 45 contiguous (one right after the other) frame losses occur. This takes about one second. If a hold occurs during flight, it’s important to re-evaluate the system, moving the antennas to different locations and/or checking to be sure the transmitter and receivers are working correctly.

Frame Loss – represents simultaneous antenna fades on all attached receivers. If the RF link is performing optimally, frame losses per flight should be less than 20

Antenna fades – represent the loss of a bit of information on that specific antenna. Typically it’s normal to have as many as 50 – 100 antenna fades on any one of the antennas during a flight. If any single antenna experiences over 500 fades in a single flight, the antenna should be repositioned in the aircraft to optimize the RF link.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:55 AM
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined May 2010
269 Posts
Thanks Freechip, I'm not sure if I got a hold or not, and I doubt there is any way to tell at this point. I had just taken off and then it got all squirly on me. Everything happened way too quickly, and I do not have as much time under my belt as most so it is hard to tell if I made a pilot error (most likely) or had an rx issue. One thing I recall is applying full throttle, but I got some comments from others watching that if I did not pull the power I probably would have recovered. Those coments made me wonder if it went into failsafe from either a hold or total rx loss. Everything happened in the span of 1-2 seconds, and I was in a bit of shock/ embarassment from it. My first major crash and it was in a multi club fun fly so many people watching.

Control surfaces were correct, and the range test was fine. No clue if the ar6200 was blinking as the battery was several feet from my Tango.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:13 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,188 Posts
Its very easy to blame the radio or other equipement sometimes when its the result of pilot error. But with every crash or error we learn from that.

Like you said you weren't able to confirm hold or brownout because the battery was seperated from the equipement.

So its up to you now to ensure your equipement is in working order and up to the task of flying your aircraft.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:25 AM
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined May 2010
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Its very easy to blame the radio or other equipement sometimes when its the result of pilot error. But with every crash or error we learn from that. .
Honestly not trying to blame, just trying to understand, and like you said learn from it.

Quote:
So its up to you now to ensure your equipement is in working order and up to the task of flying your aircraft
That is something I'm fairly confident was as good as I could get. It has flown before and never had a blinking rx. It was range checked and ballanced that day, I do that every day at the field. All control surfaces were in the correct direction with no appearance of binding. Used a loaded voltmeter to verify the battery was good. Had a 5 cel ni-cad in it to buffer against brownouts. I am one of those people that like to do a complete check each time I'm at the field.

I did say in my origional post that I feel it is most likely pilot error. Still I'm having a hard time understanding what happened in order to learn from it. It is just the loss of engine power that I'm unsure of. It wasn't off, but possibly I got some air in the lines or something funky like that.