HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:56 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo72 View Post
Re the purple motor woes, I found one bearing was bad. Surprising for a plane with literally 2 (gentle) flights and no hard landings, prop strikes or anything. Replaced both bearings with new ones from a local shop, and took her up today. First flight went perfect, and speed was again where I expected it to be, not overwhelming, but "fast enough", pretty close to my brothers FW190. And very impressive climb rate.

However, after only one flight, the motor started making weird noises at low revs again.

Havent disassembled the motor to diagnose, but its a safe bet one of the new bearings went sour again. Sigh. Shame, its such a wonderful plane when it flies.
Had the same problem with mine from new. See post #5538 for video. Mine was the orange motor. Went back to my supplier who got a replacement from FMS. Have since pulled the motor apart and found it was a bearing.
otherhalf2 is online now Find More Posts by otherhalf2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:53 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,363 Posts
Maybe it's a commonly used bearing in China for RC motors? I had a bearing failure in a Freewing gold 3648-600 motor after only a couple dozen flights. I haven't had a problem (yet) with an FMS purple motor.

An experienced pilot in our group suggested that it could be caused by an unbalanced prop. I have also had my share of prop strikes, so I don't know at this point. I have had prop strikes on other planes, including ones with FMS purple motors, which only loosened the motor mount in some cases, but did not apparently damage the motor.
CarToon is offline Find More Posts by CarToon
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:47 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFergy View Post
Nice job Vertigo! I did a similar thing with my Art Tech Texan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CD8SK72kY

Cheers!

Fergy
Coolest stuff I've seen in RC!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:30 PM
New York Highlander
United States, NY, Vermontville
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
Coolest stuff I've seen in RC!
Thanks GradyLee. I actually hyprocryted myself with that video.
I'm normally not a big fan of using a wide angle lens (GoPro) for shots of airplanes flying, as all you see after takeoff is a little dot in the sky. But since I was the only one at my field to film the flight, I had to resort to the old hat-cam!
GFergy is offline Find More Posts by GFergy